Author Topic: Amazon/ Rings of Power  (Read 2902 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Amazon/ Rings of Power
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2022, 01:02:39 PM »
Audience score fell every episode and now rumors of a reboot.

He then adds, “I also heard that they’re going to go for a full on reboot with this series and try to pretend that the last two months didn’t happen. Roll out the publicity, maybe roll out some more influencers and try to get people to binge The Rings of Power. Good luck.”

New Rumor Claims Prime Video To Completely Reboot ‘The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power’ After Creatively Bankrupt First Season
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/11/08/new-rumor-claims-prime-video-to-completely-reboot-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-after-creatively-bankrupt-first-season/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2022, 02:49:55 PM »
I hope they don't fix it.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2022, 03:44:27 PM »
I hope they don't fix it.
As a kid I was really into Star Wars.  Watched the movies, bought and read a ton of the expanded universe, the usual stuff.  When the movies were re-released and Greedo shot first, I was annoyed, but whatever.  We still had an old VHS version that was correct.  I got real excited about the prequels when they were announced and rushed out to see the first one.  It was pretty bad, but I gave the second one a shot too. 

After watching the second one I didn't get angsty or angry or anything, I just stopped caring about the franchise.  Never saw the third prequel, any of the shows (even when we had Disney+ for a year and there would have been no incremental cost to watch them), or any of the most recent movies.  Even when the Mandalorian was getting great reviews, it just wasn't something I enjoyed anymore, and I couldn't work up enough of a giveacrap to follow it anymore.  Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the original movies anymore, I just don't care about any of the Disney fanfiction or really anything that followed the initial trilogy.

Pretty much at the same place with LoTR at this stage.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2022, 04:15:04 PM »
As a kid I was really into Star Wars.  Watched the movies, bought and read a ton of the expanded universe, the usual stuff.  When the movies were re-released and Greedo shot first, I was annoyed, but whatever.  We still had an old VHS version that was correct.  I got real excited about the prequels when they were announced and rushed out to see the first one.  It was pretty bad, but I gave the second one a shot too. 

After watching the second one I didn't get angsty or angry or anything, I just stopped caring about the franchise.  Never saw the third prequel, any of the shows (even when we had Disney+ for a year and there would have been no incremental cost to watch them), or any of the most recent movies.  Even when the Mandalorian was getting great reviews, it just wasn't something I enjoyed anymore, and I couldn't work up enough of a giveacrap to follow it anymore.  Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the original movies anymore, I just don't care about any of the Disney fanfiction or really anything that followed the initial trilogy.

Pretty much at the same place with LoTR at this stage.
That is a lot of what I am hearing from a lot of people.  Mandalorian was okay, but it was pretty basic and uncomplicated in the first season or two.  I didn't watch anything after that. 

I think not hiring people based on ability has caught up to Disney and other outfits.  There are far too many people getting hired based on connections, favors, and politics who have little or no experience or ability to do the job.  I heard the two guys who ran the Rings of Power show took part in maybe one episode of a series.  They had almost no experience to take on a project like that and it shows. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2022, 07:49:51 PM »
IMO, a reboot of RoP won't matter and is more of a tokenized nod to actual fantasy and mythology buffs than a fix of the endemic problem.

They can't fix this without making a significant culture statement that fantasy literature is abused and maligned when editorialized during adaptation.  Tolkien, in particular, "cordially dislike[d] allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers viewers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader viewer, and the other in the purposed domination of the author [screenwriter]."

What they did to Tolkien, against his robustly worded and clearly intended wishes, was tantamount to an excavation of his corpse and desecration thereof.  It makes no matter if the next exploited fantasy world is Piers Anthony, Robert Jordan (already done and desecrated), Terry Brooks (also desecrated), Jim Butcher (not too terribly done, actually), or Roald Dahl.  All fans of those worlds have a keystone commonality in Tolkien.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2022, 12:14:42 PM »
When banging the racist drum doesn't work bang it louder.
They just won't let go of thinking that race is the issue.

‘The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power’ Actors Continue To Attack Tolkien Fans As Racists
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/11/17/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-actors-continue-to-attack-tolkien-fans-as-racists/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2022, 12:45:22 PM »
I would love to see a breakdown of the show's audience by race. Be willing to bet it's nearly all white which would mean even POC are staying away.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2022, 06:05:08 PM »
Apparently Amazon thinks the problem was.........men

Rings of Power Season 2 BANS male directors! Amazon hires ALL FEMALE team to lead new direction!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4HR3T7da-8
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2022, 08:18:25 PM »
Please keep digging!    =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2022, 07:53:00 AM »
Maybe they should just ban men from watching it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2023, 06:45:37 PM »
"The world of men will fall"
Hears horns blowing
Men: We would like to have a word with you about that.

And just think, they refused to let Jackson work on ROP
Jackson: Top this

Return of the King: The Ride of the Rohirrim [4K]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwJOxN_gXc
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2023, 08:08:17 PM »
Thanks.  I love that scene.

https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Arise,_arise,_Riders_of_Theoden!

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
spear shall be shaken, shield shall be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now, ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!
Death! Death! Death!
Forth Eorlingas!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2023, 10:34:24 PM »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2023, 07:53:26 AM »
I just tried it and the page exists for me.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2023, 01:36:00 PM »
I'm almost afraid to look

Fans of the blockbuster "Lord of the Rings" franchise came out in force on Twitter after it was announced another film series was in the works.

The Warner Bros. movie studio announced Thursday that the studio had struck a deal to make "multiple" films based off the beloved book series by J.R.R. Tolkien, Variety reported. The project would be developed through WB label New Line Cinema, which produced the original three films directed by Peter Jackson and released in 2001-2003.

'Lord of the Rings' reboot inspires outrage from fans: 'We get it already y'all hate Tolkien'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/lord-rings-reboot-inspires-outrage-from-fans-we-get-yall-hate-tolkien
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »
WLJ's post reminds me:

Evidently Miranda Otto is reprising Eowyn from Jackson's films, in an animated adaptation of the War of the Rohirrim.

https://collider.com/lord-of-the-rings-anime-cast-miranda-otto-eowyn-war-of-the-rohirrim/

Then my post here was a little too prophetic:

IMO, a reboot of RoP won't matter and is more of a tokenized nod to actual fantasy and mythology buffs than a fix of the endemic problem.

They can't fix this without making a significant culture statement that fantasy literature is abused and maligned when editorialized during adaptation.  Tolkien, in particular, "cordially dislike[d] allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers viewers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader viewer, and the other in the purposed domination of the author [screenwriter]."

What they did to Tolkien, against his robustly worded and clearly intended wishes, was tantamount to an excavation of his corpse and desecration thereof.  It makes no matter if the next exploited fantasy world is Piers Anthony, Robert Jordan (already done and desecrated), Terry Brooks (also desecrated), Jim Butcher (not too terribly done, actually), or Roald Dahl.  All fans of those worlds have a keystone commonality in Tolkien.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/20/roald-dahl-books-rewrites-criticism-language-altered

Evidently making villains fat or ugly is WrongThink for some reason.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2024, 04:36:59 PM »
Supposedly Season 2 is suppose to drop this year but so far it's been

https://youtu.be/K8E_zMLCRNg

as far as info
- Calvin and Hobbes