Author Topic: Long Live The Queen  (Read 9699 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Long Live The Queen
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2023, 09:32:16 AM »
Giant penis mowed into lawn of Bath's historic Royal Crescent - days before Coronation
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1766390/king-charles-coronation-giant-penis-bath-royal-crescent
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2023, 10:24:52 AM »
You know, I'm still having problems saying King Charles without adding Cavalier Spaniel after it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2023, 12:06:46 PM »
Just Harry at the coronation no Meghan. He flew in just before and jumped on a jet back home immediately afterwards to report back to his boss, I mean attend his son's 4th birthday.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2023, 12:30:14 PM »
You know, I'm still having problems saying King Charles without adding Cavalier Spaniel after it.

Not to insult King Charles Cavalier Spaniels, but he does kind of resemble one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2023, 02:04:43 PM »
Not to insult King Charles Cavalier Spaniels, but he does kind of resemble one.

Reminded me more of a Basset Hound.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2023, 02:18:44 PM »
Reminded me more of a Basset Hound.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2023, 02:21:50 PM »
Anyone else laugh at the guy trying to screw on his crown?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2023, 03:49:55 PM »
As I was going to bed last night they had started some of the "on the street" interviews. One young lady (I would say 20-30s) mentioned how she was so excited to be at the once in a lifetime event. I have news for her, unless she has some sort of terminal illness or get hits by the bus she will  be around for the next "once in a lifetime" event when they switch the bodies under the crown again.

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2023, 04:34:54 PM »

"You know what?  I'm happy..."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2023, 04:36:18 PM »
Yeah, Chuckles is 70-something.  Good chance Billy will be king in 10-20 years.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2023, 07:45:59 AM »
Apparently Harry didn't bow to the King during the grand procession and he didn't sing the national anthem.

Some people are very unhappy with him.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2023, 09:52:44 AM »
And of course someone makes it about race.

Bridgerton star Adjoa Andoh stuns ITV presenters by calling the Buckingham Palace balcony 'terribly white' during live Coronation coverage
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/usshowbiz/article-12055129/Bridgerton-star-Adjoa-Andoh-stuns-ITV-calling-Buckingham-Palace-balcony-terribly-white.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2023, 10:59:30 AM »
Anyone else laugh at the guy trying to screw on his crown?

Can you imagine the reaction if it fell off?  Looking at it I'm amazed it stays on as well as it does
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2023, 11:35:29 AM »
"Why is it OK to dismiss a white family for being white?"

Because whitey ain't righty!

Everyone knows, from the 1066 Project, that Britain didn't start until black Africans put William the Conqueror on the throne.

Blacks are responsible for EVERYTHING good that has happened in Britain since those horrible white Angles, Saxons, and Vikings were put in their place. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2023, 04:56:59 PM »
How many of you have seen that crazy video where a dark, robe figure is seen walking past an open door at the back of the chapel?  It might be photoshopped in but it could also be an omen that "Chuck" won't last that long.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2023, 07:20:34 AM »
How many of you have seen that crazy video where a dark, robe figure is seen walking past an open door at the back of the chapel?  It might be photoshopped in but it could also be an omen that "Chuck" won't last that long.

OK, found this. According to multiple sources, it was a verger.

https://news.yahoo.com/unmasked-mysterious-grim-reaper-coronation-075716537.html

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2023, 09:14:07 AM »
Don't mind him he's just here to finish that chess game
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2023, 09:39:28 AM »
Yeah, Chuckles is 70-something.  Good chance Billy will be king in 10-20 years.

Not saying he's going to do it but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Chuckles steps down after a handful of years
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2023, 09:59:49 AM »
"Not saying he's going to do it but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Chuckles steps down after a handful of years"

;/

For decades we heard "QE's going to skip over Charles and designate William the new king!" "QE is going to abdicate in favor of William!" and all sorts of other BS scenarios.

It won't happen.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2023, 10:07:41 AM »
"Not saying he's going to do it but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Chuckles steps down after a handful of years"

;/

For decades we heard "QE's going to skip over Charles and designate William the new king!" "QE is going to abdicate in favor of William!" and all sorts of other BS scenarios.

It won't happen.

I never took it seriously. William was really too young during most of that talk and skipping Charles would have created a rift in the family that would never heal. Add to that Elizabeth was keenly aware of the wound in the family and the monarchy as a whole caused by Edward VIII's foolishness during her younger years. She wanted everything to go as smoothly as possible to avoid another public scandal despite Charlie throwing a monkey wench in the works with Camilla.
I could be wrong but Charles has often given me the impression he really doesn't want to be there and once his name is solidly in the history books as king will want out. Time will tell.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2023, 10:27:07 AM »
In any event they're lucky William is appearing to at least to be far smarter and stable than his brother and the same goes for their respective wives as well.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2023, 10:32:53 AM »
Skipping Charles wouldn't have just caused a rift in the family.

It would have caused a Constitutional crisis that likely would have brought the monarchy down. Literally.

There's a mechanism for a reigning monarch to abdicate, which is what Edward VIII did. But there's no mechanism for a reigning monarch to skip over the next hereditary heir to designate someone else to be monarch.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2023, 10:36:10 AM »
In any event they're lucky William is appearing to at least to be far smarter and stable than his brother and the same goes for their respective wives as well.

Indeed. It seems like he was always the "mature" one. Harry did some dumb stuff in his youth, but could have stepped up. It seems his military career and the associated discipline was always very important to him, until he met the shrew. And it's not all her fault. The dude just totally simped for her, which in some ways is weird because I'm sure there was a gaggle of potential princesses out there that were in every way better than a spoiled Hollywood d-lister.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2023, 10:48:37 AM »
Why is King Charles's wife being referred to as Queen Camilla, while the late Queen Elizabeth's husband was merely Prince Phillip, the Queen Consort? As I understand it neither Camilla nor Phillip are/were in the line of succession, so is it some sort of gender-related courtesy thing? Or is it related to Phillip having some kind of royal title of his own from somewhere else?

Being an American I figure we settled our relationship with the English crown centuries ago so it really doesn't matter much to me other than idle curiosity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2023, 10:54:06 AM »
Why is King Charles's wife being referred to as Queen Camilla, while the late Queen Elizabeth's husband was merely Prince Phillip, the Queen Consort? As I understand it neither Camilla nor Phillip are/were in the line of succession, so is it some sort of gender-related courtesy thing? Or is it related to Phillip having some kind of royal title of his own from somewhere else?

Being an American I figure we settled our relationship with the English crown centuries ago so it really doesn't matter much to me other than idle curiosity.

I think Queen is the proper title.  Queen Elizabeth was a queen regnant.  There's also a queen regent and a queen consort, and all are addressed by the title Queen.  (I'm kind of overextending my knowledge here)
"It's good, though..."