Author Topic: Skyscraper on fire in China  (Read 1131 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Skyscraper on fire in China
« on: September 16, 2022, 10:42:25 AM »
42 floors, 715ft (seems tall for the number of floors) owned by  China Telecom, looks like the entire building is in flames.
State media is saying zero casualties which is hard to believe IMHO. Hope everyone got out safe.

Major fire engulfs skyscraper in Changsha, central China
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/16/major-fire-breaks-out-at-skyscraper-in-changsha-china

Video

Huge fire engulfs skyscraper in China
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA96fCpHiR8
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Skyscraper on fire in China
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 10:45:37 AM »
Holy (insert choice of expletive here).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
The Towering Inferno in real life.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
Same builder who built Grenfell Tower?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 11:09:13 AM »
Same builder who built Grenfell Tower?

Yeah I was going to say it reminded me of that in the way it was burning
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 11:34:52 AM »
One might call me a wimp for having a fear of living at the top of a tall building (and I'm not afraid of heights). Then you might watch this video.

I could never live in an average NYC apartment building, and not just because of the shitty living conditions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 12:09:21 PM »
Cha Bu Duo
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 12:11:27 PM »
Cha Bu Duo

Loosely translate to "close enough" or "almost"
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 02:26:24 PM »
One might call me a wimp for having a fear of living at the top of a tall building (and I'm not afraid of heights). Then you might watch this video.

I could never live in an average NYC apartment building, and not just because of the shitty living conditions.
Your daily safety depends on WAY too many people you don't know.

I'd want a parachute and a way of getting out and away from the building so the chute could open.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 02:38:23 PM »
Chute's take practice and can take a while to open.  You'd be better off with a rappelling rig bolted to the wall ready to go.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 03:50:50 PM »
Chute's take practice and can take a while to open.  You'd be better off with a rappelling rig bolted to the wall ready to go.
Good idea - rappelling doesn't take any practice at all.  :rofl:

Valid point about taking time for a chute to open, though - you're probably better off using a chute from the 70th floor rather than the 5th.

Hmmm . . . hang glider . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 05:06:35 PM »
Some years ago in a thrift store I came across a suitcase, with a harness , and about 500 ft of line in it, and instructions- it was, as far as I could tell, a ready made high rise escape kit.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 05:33:31 PM »
Some years ago in a thrift store I came across a suitcase, with a harness , and about 500 ft of line in it, and instructions- it was, as far as I could tell, a ready made high rise escape kit.

That's great if the 30 floors below you aren't engulfed in flames
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 05:43:10 PM »

Below 200 ft AGL you really don't want to try a parachute jump unless you are very experienced at BASE jumping and have the correct gear. But hey, death by burning or death by a sudden stop at the end of a fall, each one ends the same.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 06:35:13 PM »
Good idea - rappelling doesn't take any practice at all.  :rofl:

Valid point about taking time for a chute to open, though - you're probably better off using a chute from the 70th floor rather than the 5th.

Hmmm . . . hang glider . . .

Decenders are pretty idiot proof.  Besides a rope gives you the option of going out Aussie and doing a superhero landing at the bottom.  Way cooler than being pulled down the street be a car when your chute blows into traffic.  =D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 07:38:40 PM by dogmush »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 07:32:56 PM »
The Towering Inferno in real life.

You beat me to it. I was going to say, "Life imitates art": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nch1URmJvMA
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 10:10:39 PM »
I dunno, after WTC 1993 I thought that BASE jumping would be a necessary hobby if I worked in a building like that. Then again I make a career out of not going past the second floor if I can avoid it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 01:16:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cphle9wkjCE

According to multiple articles, the fire was reported at 3:48 p.m. and was out by 4:20 p.m. I'd love to know how they put out that fire in half an hour.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 04:25:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cphle9wkjCE

According to multiple articles, the fire was reported at 3:48 p.m. and was out by 4:20 p.m. I'd love to know how they put out that fire in half an hour.
In that video, you can see water spraying on the building and it only reaches several floors up.  The only way I can imagine it is if there was fire water nozzles along every floor up to the top that were not in operation (left off?) and were suddenly turned on and were able to put water to every floor up the building. 
Only other thing that comes to mind is if the fire didn't reach into the building very far and it burned off whatever it was on the outside that was fueling the fire.  That assumes something external was burning.
Just guesses.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 12:18:37 PM »
In that video, you can see water spraying on the building and it only reaches several floors up.  The only way I can imagine it is if there was fire water nozzles along every floor up to the top that were not in operation (left off?) and were suddenly turned on and were able to put water to every floor up the building. 
Only other thing that comes to mind is if the fire didn't reach into the building very far and it burned off whatever it was on the outside that was fueling the fire.  That assumes something external was burning.
Just guesses.

The orange flames and thick black smoke looked like an oil fire. The fact that it was out in half an hour could be explained by a big oil spill down the side of the building hence the quick burnout/extinguish.

As far as escaping such a fire, I'd recommend a rocket pack ejection seat aimed at a nice big window with a clear path beyond. :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 03:56:58 PM »
From the video it looked like mostly an exterior cladding fire.  There were quite a few flaming chunks drifting off the building down to the ground a ways from the base. The fire had penetrated into the building proper on some floors.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 07:09:25 PM »
From the video it looked like mostly an exterior cladding fire.  There were quite a few flaming chunks drifting off the building down to the ground a ways from the base. The fire had penetrated into the building proper on some floors.

Yepp. I'm guessing flammable foam insulation on the exterior. Same thing that created the problem at that English public housing tower that went up like a torch.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 08:16:26 PM »
Loosely translate to "close enough" or "almost"

It's an attitude there.

"They are literally making them out of freaking cardboard"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XopSDJq6w8E

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:59 PM »
Your daily safety depends on WAY too many people you don't know.

I'd want a parachute and a way of getting out and away from the building so the chute could open.

A "wing suit" will let you get far enough away to open the chute safely and not get it on fire too.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”