Author Topic: Oregon State Police slow walking background checks for firearms  (Read 4664 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Oregon State Police slow walking background checks for firearms
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 10:38:23 PM »
State representatives office called me back.  Exchanged some information and they will be contacting the OSP and a follow up with myself.

Learned from them this "liability" thing is the insurance companies adding a stipulation that gun stores do not exercise the 3 day legal protection.  Questionable legality, certainly immoral and unethical.

So I was correct on the insurance issue.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 11:40:18 PM »
Are they still?  Word I saw was that that was fixed.

It is better than it was 2-3 years ago but they are STILL taking longer than they are allowed (30 bus. days) for first time applicants.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2022, 07:42:57 PM »
#1,887 of 4,199

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2022, 10:34:54 PM »
Dang.
That kind of crap makes me truly appreciate living in a (mostly) free state.
Usually takes me longer to fill out my permission request than it does for the dealer to run it and get approval back.
No such infringement attached to private transfers.

Last private purchase I made was actually at my hometown gun store. I had let the owner know I was looking for a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. After almost 2 years of looking some fellow came in looking to sell an excellent condition convertible .45 w/ 5.5" barrel. (Came with 2 boxes of Hornady XTP ammo and 2 extra grips) Gun store called me and 30 minutes later I was home with my "new" gun. $800 for the gun and $50 for the store owner as a finder fee.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2022, 01:00:55 AM »
The gun store is closed Sunday and Monday so no more position updates until Tuesday.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2022, 01:39:36 PM »
#751 of 3752

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2022, 07:02:39 PM »
#330 of 3,744.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2022, 07:27:57 PM »
I ordered a rifle last weekend.  It arrived at my dealer today.  I have it in my house now. 

My God help us if Texas ever turns blue. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2022, 06:55:06 PM »
#51 of 3,829

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2022, 07:22:03 PM »
I ordered a rifle last weekend.  It arrived at my dealer today.  I have it in my house now. 

My God help us if Texas ever turns blue. 

With the extremely heavy influx of Californians into the big cities how likely do you think it is?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2022, 02:02:41 PM »
And OSP finally returned an answer: delayed, no reason or timeliness given.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2022, 08:27:44 PM »
With the extremely heavy influx of Californians into the big cities how likely do you think it is?
I have heard people say in the past that the Californians moving to Texas run a slight majority toward Not voting Democrat.  The same survey said most of the new Democrats in Texas were 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanic immigrants.  That was a few years back so things might have changed. 

Mainly, I don't know.  We will see how this election looks.  With the Trump factor in the picture less, it will be interesting how this election turns out.  I have heard Hispanics have been leaving the Democrat umbrella lately and Texas still held a slim R majority in 2020.  X factor is Beto and Democrats are spending a great deal of money, but they have done that before. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2022, 02:56:50 PM »
Called the challenge line yesterday st 1100 and left my information per the instructions.  No response yet and still flagged as delayed.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2022, 01:14:50 PM »
Still no reply from the phone message so now I've sent an email as well.  Consider this a log entry for any future subpoenas.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2022, 02:19:13 PM »
Remind me why you can’t just get the gun?  At least it used to be that a delayed NICS check allowed you to take possession after something like 3 or 5 days if there simply no response.  Is it an Oregon law, insurance company restrictions, or what?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2022, 02:28:06 PM »
Remind me why you can’t just get the gun?  At least it used to be that a delayed NICS check allowed you to take possession after something like 3 or 5 days if there simply no response.  Is it an Oregon law, insurance company restrictions, or what?

IICR, it was store policy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2022, 10:39:28 PM »
Day 26 and still no gun.  Also radio silence from the OSP.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2022, 10:41:58 PM »
IICR, it was store policy.

I keep hearing three stories: the OSP tells them they'll be "liable", the ATF insinuates they will find a reason to revoke their FFL, and the insurance company adding a stipulation.

Wouldn't surprise me if all three are true as there really is a clear effort to destroy civil rights.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 12:19:53 PM by kgbsquirrel »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2022, 11:11:18 AM »
And another email (third attempt at contact) sent to the Oregon State Police, and a second call to my state representative's office.

Welcome to *expletive deleted*ing democracy where inalienable rights that shall not be infringed are really just privileges of the state.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »
This is what "reasonable" anti-gun laws do in practice, they never sound too troublesome on paper. If you're not a criminal what do you have to fear?

Just wait till they defund the bureaucracy in charge of processing the background checks  :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2022, 03:33:21 PM »
This is what "reasonable" anti-gun laws do in practice, they never sound too troublesome on paper. If you're not a criminal what do you have to fear?

Just wait till they defund the bureaucracy in charge of processing the background checks  :lol:

Operating exactly as intended.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2022, 07:58:16 AM »
Sorry kgb - more bad news:

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2022/10/oregon-gun-control-measure-114-attracts-national-attention-as-one-of-strictest-in-us.html

Ten years ago you couldn't have convinced me that Oregon would be worse than California, but they are really upping their game in the Portland metro.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2022, 08:11:50 AM »
Sorry kgb - more bad news:

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2022/10/oregon-gun-control-measure-114-attracts-national-attention-as-one-of-strictest-in-us.html

Ten years ago you couldn't have convinced me that Oregon would be worse than California, but they are really upping their game in the Portland metro.

From article

Under Measure 114, anyone who wants to buy a gun would have to obtain a permit, pay an anticipated fee of $65, complete an approved firearms safety course at their own expense, submit a photo ID, be fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check.

I say someone in OR should propose a bill that says

anyone who wants to vote would have to obtain a permit, pay an anticipated fee of $65, complete an approved history course at their own expense, submit a photo ID, be fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check.

Oh how they would howl
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2022, 09:16:21 AM »
 :'(  If Oregon passes this, look for something similar in Washington to follow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2022, 10:59:16 AM »
:'(  If Oregon passes this, look for something similar in Washington to follow.

I'm wondering what it will mean for people who pass through Oregon. I have a non-resident permit. I'll assume at the very least, I'll need to have a couple of "Oregon magazines" and then remember to use them when I go there. I'll probably need to pick an "Oregon gun" as well, because I'm not buying a bunch of ten round magazines just to comply with their stupid law. I might just need to make a 1911 an "Oregon gun" the way I've made a 1911 my "California gun" when I've had to go there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."