Author Topic: Oregon State Police slow walking background checks for firearms  (Read 4659 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Oregon State Police slow walking background checks for firearms
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2022, 04:14:59 PM »
I'm wondering what it will mean for people who pass through Oregon. I have a non-resident permit. I'll assume at the very least, I'll need to have a couple of "Oregon magazines" and then remember to use them when I go there. I'll probably need to pick an "Oregon gun" as well, because I'm not buying a bunch of ten round magazines just to comply with their stupid law. I might just need to make a 1911 an "Oregon gun" the way I've made a 1911 my "California gun" when I've had to go there.

Just speculating, but since the proposed ban is on the sale/transfer of normal-size mags and not on possession, it shouldn't affect travel through Oregon.  You won't be able to buy a gun in Oregon unless you get the permit, but why would an Idaho resident want to?

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2022, 09:18:39 PM »
And OSP just contacted me by phone. 

BLUF: I am having my rights infringed just because I was arrested 2 years ago.  Not because I was convicted; I showed up to court and I wasn't even on the docket, dismissed without stepping foot in court.

To paraphrase "the DA hasn't sent us the super special permission slip 2 years ago saying you can have your rights back yet so that's why you've been infringed on for over a month and now you get to wait for that to happen."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2022, 09:31:11 PM »
That's kind of like the whole idea behind "red flag" laws. You get flagged by some bureaucrat and bye bye Rights forever and ever and ever until they arbitrarily decide to give you permission again.

Reeesonable gun laws
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2022, 07:44:26 AM »
And OSP just contacted me by phone. 

BLUF: I am having my rights infringed just because I was arrested 2 years ago.  Not because I was convicted; I showed up to court and I wasn't even on the docket, dismissed without stepping foot in court.

To paraphrase "the DA hasn't sent us the super special permission slip 2 years ago saying you can have your rights back yet so that's why you've been infringed on for over a month and now you get to wait for that to happen."

Curious about the arrest story.  If you told it here previously a link to the thread would be great.

So I assume you are now preparing for a petition for redress of your grievances?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2022, 09:23:22 AM »
This makes me wonder if OSP might show up at your door some day demanding you turn over any other firearms you own.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2022, 11:15:32 AM »
Curious about the arrest story.  If you told it here previously a link to the thread would be great.

So I assume you are now preparing for a petition for redress of your grievances?

Short story psychopathic ex (who was thrown out of my house by deputies via my initial RO) lies to obtain a restraining order and then lies about my breaking it and I get arrested promptly only for the DA to deepsix the charges without telling anyone and I show up at court only to not be on the docket.  And evidently I've been on Double Secret Gun Probation the entire time since.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2022, 11:19:27 AM »
Oh I forgot to log that on the 20th, Thursday, the state reps office called me back.  They reported they had also basically been getting ignored by the OSP when they tried contacting them as well.  Ell oh ell.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2022, 12:43:08 PM »
^^^I hope you are not caught up in the various domestic violence prohibitions. I would think not without an actual conviction.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2022, 12:46:48 PM »
Short story psychopathic ex (who was thrown out of my house by deputies via my initial RO) lies to obtain a restraining order and then lies about my breaking it and I get arrested promptly only for the DA to deepsix the charges without telling anyone and I show up at court only to not be on the docket.  And evidently I've been on Double Secret Gun Probation the entire time since.

They Kavanaughed you
You now have to prove your innocence
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2022, 03:16:07 PM »
And drove down to the court house and visited the DA's office.  "That's strange, don't know why it didn't get sent" was the answer on why the No File paperwork was not forwarded to the OSP as per normal.  Anyways, now I'm waiting for them to send the paperwork to me, so I can forward it on to the OSP.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »
^^^I hope that sending it along to the OSP means that they will update the computer records, so you don't have to go through this again every time you purchase a firearm.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2022, 05:55:38 PM »
Still zero response from OSP.  Looks like they've successfully dragged out my September 16th "Instant Background Check" until after this unconstitutional legislation was pushed through.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2022, 06:03:43 PM »
Oh crap, I just looked at the latest data, and it looks as if Measure 114 is passing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2022, 11:08:06 AM »
I just watched a Mrgunsngear video where he showed documentation that included, "Dec 7 will be the last day to purchase a firearm without a firearms permit. If the OSP background check is delayed and goes into the "OPS que", the purchaser will be required to obtain a permit before picking up the firearm. Bit of a vicious circle there.

The document is at 1:35

https://youtu.be/yT97tz84WhQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2022, 11:16:05 AM »
*expletive deleted*
*expletive deleted*
*expletive deleted*
*expletive deleted*
*expletive deleted*
*expletive deleted*
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2022, 02:56:34 PM »
It has 10 business days since the DA sent OSP the paperwork OSP demanded.  Still no response.  Another email sent.  Contacted the gun store and learned the "instant" background check wait list is now in excess of 13,000 people having their rights actively infringed.  This number doesn't include people in delay limbo like myself, only those waiting for the initial NICS request.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2022, 10:13:41 PM »
State Police Swamped as Oregonians Buy All The Guns They Can Ahead of 114 Effective Date
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/state-police-swamped-as-oregonians-buy-all-the-guns-they-can-ahead-of-114-effective-date/

Barnes spoke to The Oregonian/OregonLive this week as he was processing a prospective gun buyer at his pawn shop and telling the customer, who has a concealed handgun license, that he was No. 2,182 in line on the state police list for a firearms background check.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2022, 05:44:24 PM »
Still delayed.  Been a full month since the DA sent them the paperwork.

Meanwhile the "instant check" line is now over 28,000 people.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2022, 05:45:33 PM »
State Police Swamped as Oregonians Buy All The Guns They Can Ahead of 114 Effective Date
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/state-police-swamped-as-oregonians-buy-all-the-guns-they-can-ahead-of-114-effective-date/

They were already not doing their *expletive deleted*ing job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2022, 07:48:15 PM »
When is the protest march at the state capitol?
Silence gives consent.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2022, 10:06:02 PM »
Great news!

I am afraid it will be swiftly overturned though.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2022, 06:25:58 PM »
Well, stuff went sideways with the gun store.

So being 6 weeks since I complied with everything asked of me and with 1 week until transfers stop I once again asked the store to transfer the gun as they are legally able to.  They refused so I instructed them to send the gun to another store, last night.  I also asked for a refund on the transfer fee as they have patently not completed any transfer.  This resulted in the clerk first agreeing to the refund and sending the gun.  Then a manager reversed this and told me I wasn't getting anything "because they syarted the 4473" and they wouldn't send the gun anywhere else unless I paid more for it.

Well fast forward to this morning and I had a very unpleasant conversation with the store owner.  He admitted openly he could transfer me the gun but wouldn't because he "doesn't think i deserve a gun" after "how I acted last night." He tried gas lighting me, falsely claiming costs, etc.  In the end he agreed to send the gun (still hasn't shipped yet, label created) at his cost.

I'm glad Oregon is a one party consent state as I think this conversation will help somewhat when I sue them.

At this point between the OSP malfeasance and this bootlicking shop owner I no longer have the potential to get my P226, the replacement for my stolen gun.

There is not enough calendar time to get the gun sent to a friendly FFL that will exercise the 3 day protection against this tyrrany. 

At this point I can literally only make a P226 frame if I want one.  To say I feel robbed a second time is a bit of an understatement.  The store wasted months of my time and cost me my opportunity to get the replacement P226, and with the owners own overt statement that sure he could have done the transfer (which i have paid for) but chose not to moves the whole transaction into bad faith territory.

Had I known the store would have acted this way I never would have employed them for the transfer.  As such I feel justified in asking a judge for the following:

Because I never would have used their business-
Cost of shipping the gun to the store.
Transfer Fee.
Cost of shipping the gun somewhere else (tentatively covered).

Because they deprived me of my opportunity to get this before the 8th-
Cost of sourcing a P226 80% frame.
Cost of sourcing necessary tooling to finish the frame.
Cost of my time as a gunsmith to perform the work.

P.S.: The owner plans to subsist on machine gun rentals and accessory sales after the 8th.  They don't believe they will ever be shutdown by the liberals.  His own words.

P.P.S.: I've owned the gun the entire time this guy has been choosing to not transfer it.  Should I demand rent for the gun the same way he rents guns to people?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2022, 07:31:31 PM »
P.P.S.: I've owned the gun the entire time this guy has been choosing to not transfer it.  Should I demand rent for the gun the same way he rents guns to people?

I would, but that's just me.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2022, 07:33:36 PM »
I would, but that's just me.

I have no idea what a reasonable charge would be.  I'd want to pin it to whatever he rents the same gun for in the range.