Author Topic: Your thoughts on the pneumonia vaccine?  (Read 662 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Your thoughts on the pneumonia vaccine?
« on: September 25, 2022, 07:46:16 AM »
My quack is pushing it... I had two weeks of pneumonia when I was six, and several bouts as an adult, but thanks to prescription antibiotics, and finally stopping what I was doing for a few days, no major problems...
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Your thoughts on the pneumonia vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 08:01:50 AM »
I got the pneumonia vaccine a few months ago.  My doc's explanation about it made sense, so I got it.  It was covered by Medicare in my case, and they were also pushing it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 08:07:02 AM »
I got the pneumonia vaccine last year - no side effects and it's an extra layer of protection. I'd say it's worthwhile for most people over 50.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 08:31:04 AM »
My doctor will probably want me to get it at my appointment in a few weeks. I'm 57... prime candidate for my first one.

Of course, you could always get this vaccination...

Took that photo some years ago in the pharmacy at my local grocery store. Just shook my head and walked on.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 08:35:36 AM »
. . .Took that photo some years ago in the pharmacy at my local grocery store. Just shook my head and walked on.
That was some years ago - are they now offering carhonavid vaccines and boosters?   

I'm not sure whether the proper response is :facepalm: or :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 09:09:17 AM »
We got the pnueumonia vax years ago.  Other than the annoying tusks, there doesn't seem to be any side affects.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 09:52:57 AM »
We got the pnueumonia vax years ago.  Other than the annoying tusks, there doesn't seem to be any side affects.
No problem with the green skin?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 10:05:46 AM »
I would. The usual play with you old folks is something else gets you down and then pneumonia rushes in for the kill. My dad went to the hospital a hundred or so times since 2012 and each time he survived what got him there but pneumonia nearly got him more than once. He gets the vaccine all the time now.

Also proud he is single handedly bleeding Warren Buffet dry, he bought Mutual of Omaha supplemental insurance in a plan they don't offer anymore, probably because of him. So far not had to pay a dime beyond insurance premiums.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 11:03:20 AM »
No problem with the green skin?

Goes with my wardrobe selections and the color scheme of our house.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 11:10:16 AM »
I would. The usual play with you old folks is something else gets you down and then pneumonia rushes in for the kill. My dad went to the hospital a hundred or so times since 2012 and each time he survived what got him there but pneumonia nearly got him more than once. He gets the vaccine all the time now.

Also proud he is single handedly bleeding Warren Buffet dry, he bought Mutual of Omaha supplemental insurance in a plan they don't offer anymore, probably because of him. So far not had to pay a dime beyond insurance premiums.
[/u]

That's Plan F.  No new signups allowed but if you had it, you can keep it.  We have the Mutual of Omaha supplement plan as well.
 Premium is reasonable so far.  The company I retired from has a HSA for Swmbo and I and so far the premiums have been below what the company contributes.  It also carries over unspent HSA funds as well.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 11:38:08 AM »
If you haven’t already get the shingles vax.  My mom got shingles and I’m the way she described it, outside of actual wartime enemy leadership I wouldn’t wish on most people.  There’s probably at least one though, so I won’t say “anybody”.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2022, 12:20:26 PM »
Shingles BAD. Had them SEVERAL times!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 12:47:27 PM »
The two proven vaccines that seem to work and also make sense are the pneumovax and and Shigrex (shingles). If you have had the Covid vaccine I would get the shingles vaccine for sure. I have had both the older single shot shingles vaccine and the newer two shot series. Since getting the Covid vaccine I have had several shingles outbreaks in the same area on my back. The studies say having Covid increases your chance of shingles. I think the vaccine does the same because I started having shingles before having Covid. As far as pneumonia vaccine, a one time vaccine to protect you into your later years makes sense to me.

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2022, 01:29:16 PM »
I got the Shingrex vaccine last year - two doses. Had a sore arm after the 1st shot and about 12 hours after getting the second shot I felt miserable with flulike symptoms. Fortunately these passed very quickly and 12 hours later I was fine.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2022, 01:56:41 PM »
The two proven vaccines that seem to work and also make sense are the pneumovax and and Shigrex (shingles). If you have had the Covid vaccine I would get the shingles vaccine for sure. I have had both the older single shot shingles vaccine and the newer two shot series. Since getting the Covid vaccine I have had several shingles outbreaks in the same area on my back. The studies say having Covid increases your chance of shingles. I think the vaccine does the same because I started having shingles before having Covid. As far as pneumonia vaccine, a one time vaccine to protect you into your later years makes sense to me.

bob

I had the 2-shot shingles series in 2020, and a pneumonia shot in 2015. How long are they good for?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2022, 02:07:27 PM »
I had the 2-shot shingles series in 2020, and a pneumonia shot in 2015. How long are they good for?

The pneumonia shot is a "well, that depends" answer. If you are under 65 and only had one (depending on type) you may need a second one. If you have received two vaccines after 65 you should be good to end of life. You probably should discuss with your PCP the next time you see him/her/them.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2022, 03:29:31 PM »
I got shingles right before Christmas in 2019.

Had been feeling off for a couple of days, but I figured it was the fact that I had pulled a muscle in my back and it was driving me nuts to the point where I went to Urgent Care and got pain killer and muscle relaxers the day before I headed to Castle Key's for Christmas.

That night I was undressing when I realized I had a rash popping up on my ribs.

Lovely.

Next day I drove to Castle Key's and, when we got there, I immediately had him drive me to yet another urgent care to get the anti-virals.

Merry freaking Christmas.

I got on it early, got the drugs early and everything and it was still extremely miserable. Felt like a scalded rat for a couple of weeks.

Once I recovered I got the first Shingrex jab, and several days later came down with a gout flare. Yep, one of the side effects of Shingrex can be a gout flare. That was fun.

Second jab? No problems at all. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2022, 06:08:27 PM »
I got shingles right before Christmas in 2019.

Had been feeling off for a couple of days, but I figured it was the fact that I had pulled a muscle in my back and it was driving me nuts to the point where I went to Urgent Care and got pain killer and muscle relaxers the day before I headed to Castle Key's for Christmas.

That night I was undressing when I realized I had a rash popping up on my ribs.

Lovely.

,,, and it was still extremely miserable. Felt like a scalded rat for a couple of weeks.

Once I recovered I got the first Shingrex jab, and several days later came down with a gout flare. Yep, one of the side effects of Shingrex can be a gout flare. That was fun.

Second jab? No problems at all.

Ain't getting old fun?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2022, 07:08:44 PM »
 I don't trust the medical community.
My paranoia started with watching the documentary CARING CORRUPTED  about nurses/doctors during the third reich
 it was a scientific necessity to eliminate non-essential people .
 All the BS associated with the recent covid hysteria proved to me the medical community has not learned CHIT regarding principles and human rights - even going after their ancient enemies "The Jews"  ( in NYC during the panic, they tried to stop Orthodox Jews from their religious observations like funerals and caring for the elderly )

IF I get shingles, I will get the vaccine afterwards, but I am not going to get any flu shots - st least for the next 5 years - I might get a tetanus shot tho

I just do not trust them anymore tho, the medical community is like the government always seeking more ways to control everyone
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2022, 12:21:34 AM »
The last true vaccine I received was a tetanus shot in 2007.  While I had the Salk and Sabin polio vaccines and the DPT one as a kid, I have never had a flu shot, no MMR shot, no pneumonia shot.  With the exception of the measles, I have never had pneumonia, rubella (German measles), and despite repeated exposure as children, neither my brother nor I never got the mumps.
I am done with believing "big pharma" and most of the vaccines they are pushing.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 07:07:33 AM »
Ain't getting old fun?

It is definitely a young man's game.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 07:10:03 AM »
"I am done with believing "big pharma" and most of the vaccines they are pushing."

Dibs on your *expletive deleted*it when you die from something completely preventable!