Author Topic: SDS Imports 1911  (Read 1383 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: SDS Imports 1911
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2022, 05:05:39 PM »
I have a Norinco. I like it. It goes bang.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2022, 05:31:59 PM »

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1911-semi-automatic-45-acp-5-barrel-nickel.html
Cimarron still has this on their site.  They used to have a 1911 that they billed as a "Wild Bunch" 1911, but it wasn't quite 100% original either.  I don't know if anyone actually makes a true original.

What's up with the grip safety, right hand view?

<shrug>.  I'll stick with my Rock Island GI.  Not authentic, never claimed to be.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »
https://www.tisasusa.com/product-p/1911a1s.htm
I have this one.  It was cheap and I wanted an older looking 1911 to shoot so I would be less tempted to further wear out my CMP 1911. 

There were lots of reviews of the Tisas 1911-A1 when it came out.  Most pointed out the different ways it was NOT a 1911A1, but said most were parts that could be changed.  My hesitation would be that that mine doesn't feed hollow points all that well.  I don't need it to, just something to note.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1911-semi-automatic-45-acp-5-barrel-nickel.html
Cimarron still has this on their site.  They used to have a 1911 that they billed as a "Wild Bunch" 1911, but it wasn't quite 100% original either.  I don't know if anyone actually makes a true original.

A .45 is already expanded.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2022, 08:10:35 PM »
Aren't the sights a lot taller than a WWI issue 1911?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2022, 09:11:27 PM »
What's up with the grip safety, right hand view?

<shrug>.  I'll stick with my Rock Island GI.  Not authentic, never claimed to be.

Don't know anything about SDS/Tisa but for a budget 191,  Rock Island makes a good solid, no frills pistol.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2022, 11:13:21 PM »
Don't know anything about SDS/Tisa but for a budget 191,  Rock Island makes a good solid, no frills pistol.
All the reviews for the Tisas were that it worked and seemed to be well made and mil-spec parts fit.  I don't think I have ever seen a detailed comparison between it and other bargain 1911's.  I have always heard good things about Rock Island guns.  I always hesitated to spend the month, but was able to get it recently for cheap similar to the Buds price.  For that, it is worth it IMO.  If you want to upgrade it to something for defense, I would suggest other models with dovetail sights. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2022, 12:20:18 AM »

It's made for Cimarron by Armscor, and for what it is it's insanely over-priced. It's also a horrible copy -- that photo doesn't show it well, but if you look at a view directly from either side you can see that the trigger window cut behind the trigger isn't even close to the original M1911.

Being an Armscor, it probably functions okay -- but the looks are so bad that if I were given one today, I'd sell it tomorrow.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2022, 06:13:09 AM »
I have a Springfield M1911-A1 Milspec.

It's a LOT closer to being period/type authentic.

And it shoots well, too. AND it will feed hollowpoints.

Guy at my gun club in Pennsylvania had one of those bolt action Remingtons.

I seem to recall it being in either 6mm or 7mm Benchrest.

Holy sweet mother of dog was that thing accurate, and he was GOOD with it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2022, 06:15:14 AM »
Similarly I've heard OK things about the Tisas 1911s. They're functional, generally, and they're relatively inexpensive.

I keep looking at getting a Rock Island 1911 in .38 Super, not because I want a Rock Island 1911, but because I want a .38 Super. That cartridge has always fascinated me. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2022, 02:40:41 PM »
I have a Norinco. I like it. It goes bang.

Back when I was an FFL, ALL that Norinco stuff was a STEAL!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2022, 03:05:13 PM »
Aren't the sights a lot taller than a WWI issue 1911?

Yep. And the front sight isn't the correct profile. Not even close.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2022, 11:58:26 PM »
I have a Springfield M1911-A1 Milspec.

It's a LOT closer to being period/type authentic.

And it shoots well, too. AND it will feed hollowpoints.

Guy at my gun club in Pennsylvania had one of those bolt action Remingtons.

I seem to recall it being in either 6mm or 7mm Benchrest.

Holy sweet mother of dog was that thing accurate, and he was GOOD with it.
Don't get me wrong, I would agree the Springfield 1911 is better, but it is also twice as much as the price in the OP.  For a beater gun to play with, this works okay.  I also plan to play with upgrading parts on this one just to learn more about the platform.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2022, 10:08:32 AM »
I have no clue what a Springer Mil Spec goes for these days. I've had mine for almost 30 years.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2022, 12:40:51 PM »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2022, 02:10:48 PM »
https://dkfirearms.com/product/springfield-armory-1911-mil-spec-defender-series/
Here is I link I noticed a few minutes ago.  $620.

$709 MSRP.  (They have a Kali compliant version that's ~$150 more (MSRP).  No idea what the difference is between them.  The only visible difference is the grips.)

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-mil-spec-handguns/
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2022, 03:00:28 PM »
$709 MSRP.  (They have a Kali compliant version that's ~$150 more (MSRP).  No idea what the difference is between them.  The only visible difference is the grips.)

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-mil-spec-handguns/

Possibly the calif version has a stupid mag disconnect.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2022, 03:43:59 PM »
Possibly the calif version has a stupid mag disconnect.

Or some streeetburger in the testing dept didn't like the standard grips because they were icky and pooey and not artsy  so let's make them change them.

The mag disconnect thing probably nailed it.. My personal long-standing  opinion is that mag disconnects are a design defect.

"But Terry, what if it can save one dodobird or his progeny or his beer-swilling neighbor?"

D-A-R-R-WIN-N-NNNNN !

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.