Author Topic: Video of Motorcycle Trip through Colorado  (Read 753 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Video of Motorcycle Trip through Colorado
« on: October 01, 2022, 12:37:48 PM »
I took over 10 hours of video from my trip through the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route and have been spending the last few weeks culling through it and learning Shotcut in order to build one anthology video for all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WejIY3_-rc

It's a bit long at 47 minutes.  I probably should have broken it apart into separate videos for each day, but I did what I did and it's done now.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
Re: Video of Motorcycle Trip through Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 02:34:56 PM »
Just skimmed the video . . . pretty good, by the way . . . but in a couple of those places, you could have inserted the theme from Deliverance:old:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 03:10:41 PM »
If I can find a Creative Commons recording of it, I might use it in a future video.  Country/Folk seems to work well for videos like these.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 03:46:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, since I expect you didn't have cell phone signal on those back-country dirt roads, did one of you carry a PLB in case of emergency?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 03:52:09 PM »
Yes, my friend had one.  I'm considering one as well, though I've just learned a few weeks ago that T-mobile and Starlink have a deal to make stock T-mobile phones currently in circulation able to access gen2 Starlink satellites for text and phone services.  T-mobile is about to become backed up by a satellite backbone.
--Lysander Spooner

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 07:53:24 PM »
Heh... Needs something at 7:00...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »
Yes, my friend had one.  I'm considering one as well, though I've just learned a few weeks ago that T-mobile and Starlink have a deal to make stock T-mobile phones currently in circulation able to access gen2 Starlink satellites for text and phone services.  T-mobile is about to become backed up by a satellite backbone.

Starlink getting involved in that arena would be interesting. I'm just now considering whether I finally want to bite the bullet on an In Reach with their crappy plans. I'd be really interested in some kind of ruggedized smartphone that also had sat capability, just for emergency text messaging. I already use my smartphone with backcountry navigator, so it would be great to have an all in one device.

As it is, an In Reach standalone unit is expensive enough that it about makes it worthwhile to throw in an extra couple of hundred bucks and get one of  the GPS units Garmin sells that have In Reach built in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 01:16:36 AM »
Cool video, thanks for putting it together.
Bet you were pleased when the front brake lever bent, instead of busting off.

Are you running a steering damper on the bike?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 02:26:47 AM »
Cool video, thanks for putting it together.
Bet you were pleased when the front brake lever bent, instead of busting off.

Are you running a steering damper on the bike?

Yeah, real happy I was able to ride it all the way through the trip and back home.

No steering damper.  Rake angle is pretty steep on this bike, 26 degrees and change.  It tracks really well in loose stuff.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 02:59:05 AM »
Heh... Needs something at 7:00...

Drunken Sailor wasn't on the nose enough?   :laugh:

I can't begin to describe HOW STEEP that first switchback was.  I'm not new at riding dirt.  In many ways, this new Tuareg is so much easier to ride than either my Husky FE250 or my Triumph 800XC.  It puts out far more low RPM torque than either of those bikes.  But even at lower torque at low RPM, either of them would have roosted some dirt behind themselves and muscled up the hill.  I had that bike at half throttle... but it's an electric throttle that takes my input as a "suggestion" to the computer.

And once I disabled traction control, the Tuareg did just what I told it to do.

I wish I had enough storage to have the camera rolling for the entire ride, because all told I had 4 involuntary dismounts on the trip.  Three were on the BDR proper but this one was the only one that happened while the camera was rolling. 

The second happened the second day in, in some slimy two-track.  I had TC disabled and got into a small rut along the side of the road by accident, and I goosed the throttle to try and get back on top of the road.  The net result was the rear wheel spinning faster than the front could get on top of the mud, and the bike going sideways and me earning a low side on the left.  No real damage.

The third happened the third day in, again in some slimy two-track.  I had reverted TC back to 1 out of 4 at this point, which I think is my happy medium.  I tailed my buddy too closely behind a downhill mud area.  He suddenly stopped before going through a puddle (probably worried about traction in it) and I had to come to a stop before hitting him, while going downhill in mud.  In dirt mode on this bike, front ABS is still enabled but rear ABS is disabled.  The front wheel did come to a rotational stop, but the bike still had too much inertia in the mud.  I turned the bars to redirect the skid away from him and tipped over onto the right side again.  No further damage.

TC at 1 of 4 seems to climb steep switchbacks and heavy rocky terrain well, and keep the rear wheel in control in mud.  I'll probably keep dirt mode at that setting.

The final tipover was way over in Moab, Utah, and not part of the BDR ride.  That one was all me, and I was just mentally exhausted after a several hundred mile day from the Gypsum area to Moab, a good bit of which was already off-road.  That one dinged up the left side of the radiator and broke some plastics.  No leak... but I ordered a new radiator and plastics, and I now have crash bars to protect sensitive stuff on the bike.  Wasn't time to get it ordered/shipped/installed before leaving on the trip.
--Lysander Spooner

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 11:18:26 AM »
Somehow video never seems to show the steepness adequately.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »
Nice! Nice! Nice!

Great vid! First shot being Red Mountain Pass, one of my favorite roads in Colorado, set the tone and it only got better from there. Lots of other places I recognized, too.

On the next one, you might put in labels for all the roads for benefit of folks not familiar with the area.

Have a tracking map of your journey? Would be cool to see your entire route.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 11:06:01 AM »
Recalled this thread over the weekend while watching a documentary of the BDR Group finalizing the route you rode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM4KgrYLM5o

Saw one of their bikes go down on a tight switchback and thought "Hey, AZRed posted a video like that!" Recalled you mentioning it was a BDR route.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:16:49 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 04:16:25 PM »
AZ - I don't know if it is my crappy DSL or Youtube, but that video was rather "pixelated" and out of focus.  When that yellow text came up, it was too small and out of focus to be legible.
That being said, the scenery was incredible, and those roads - good grief !!  :facepalm:
I used to have a Honda CB360 street machine that I took on a few "mild" trails but nothing like those rocks you had to traverse !
  :O
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 04:36:35 PM »
AZ - I don't know if it is my crappy DSL or Youtube, but that video was rather "pixelated" and out of focus.  When that yellow text came up, it was too small and out of focus to be legible.
That being said, the scenery was incredible, and those roads - good grief !!  :facepalm:
I used to have a Honda CB360 street machine that I took on a few "mild" trails but nothing like those rocks you had to traverse !
  :O

Yeah, I uploaded the whole video in 1080p.  It's not a popular video so it seems Youtube is down converting it to lower res.
--Lysander Spooner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2024, 10:06:51 AM »
Nice video, AZ.  Looks like a great ride.
A note to JT, YouTube did automatically downconvert to 360 on my laptop.  However, the settings gear icon at the bottom of the screen gave resolution options up to 1080p FHD.  Most likely you were limited by your download speed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2024, 10:01:17 PM »
Nice video, AZ.  Looks like a great ride.
A note to JT, YouTube did automatically downconvert to 360 on my laptop.  However, the settings gear icon at the bottom of the screen gave resolution options up to 1080p FHD.  Most likely you were limited by your download speed.

Probably.  I'm lucky if I get 1mbps download.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”