Author Topic: I've seen some stupid money wastes before, but this may top the list...  (Read 1576 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
You can now buy a Samsung refrigerator at Lowes for $2,000 and you "personalize" it with "artistic" upper door panels and custom lower door colors...

To the tune of nearly an extra $1,000.

So, nearly $3,000 for a "customized work of art" that doesn't get really great product reviews.

https://www.lowes.com/collections/Samsung-Bespoke-Domonique-Brown-Designed-4-Door-French-Door-Refrigerator/GR_6168?int_cmp=landing%3AA%3ANoDivision%3APromo%3AHOS_Bespoke_Domonique_Brown_Kitchen_FW35_22

:facepalm:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: I've seen some stupid money wastes before, but this may top the list...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 10:55:25 AM »
I would be happy with just a flat screen mount.  Build in a photo display function. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 11:26:38 AM »
I would be happy with just a flat screen mount.  Build in a photo display function.

I'd be happy if my Samsung refrigerator didn't leak water under the meat/cheese tray and then freeze it into a quarter inch sheet of ice.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 11:26:48 AM »

I have seen some refrigerators that have a display panel built into the door.  I have wondered if it also has a web browser, since it would be convenient to pull up recipes on the Net so I could look at them easily while cooking.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »
Open the refrigerator door HAL
Sorry Dave, I can't do that, may I remind you you're on a diet.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 11:40:44 AM »
I'd be happy if my Samsung refrigerator didn't leak water under the meat/cheese tray and then freeze it into a quarter inch sheet of ice.

Friend had that problem with his refrigerator, only it also pissed water all over the floor.

I helped him do a complete gut out of the fridge to give it a badly needed cleaning, get rid of the ice sheets in the cabinet, and to finally figure out why it was leaking.

Turns out the leak was a simple clogged drain nozzle.

The drain tube from the cabinet to the catch pan has a small rubber boot on it with a slit, almost like a nipple, probably to help keep cold air in the cabinet.

Basically a small ball of schmutz and dog fur had gotten flushed into the tube and lodged in the nozzle. We cleared that and no more iced over freezer floor or water all over the kitchen floor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »
I have seen some refrigerators that have a display panel built into the door.  I have wondered if it also has a web browser, since it would be convenient to pull up recipes on the Net so I could look at them easily while cooking.

Yes, some do.  "Smart" refrigerators.  Part of the Internet of Things movement from a few years ago. 

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 11:43:10 AM »
Friend had that problem with his refrigerator, only it also pissed water all over the floor.

I helped him do a complete gut out of the fridge to give it a badly needed cleaning, get rid of the ice sheets in the cabinet, and to finally figure out why it was leaking.

Turns out the leak was a simple clogged drain nozzle.

The drain tube from the cabinet to the catch pan has a small rubber boot on it with a slit, almost like a nipple, probably to help keep cold air in the cabinet.

Basically a small ball of schmutz and dog fur had gotten flushed into the tube and lodged in the nozzle. We cleared that and no more iced over freezer floor or water all over the kitchen floor.

Thanks, I'll check that.

The Youtube gurus pointed me to another problem that required me taking apart half of the inside, but didn't solve the problem.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 11:46:29 AM »

Know what I want from my refrigerator?

Cold food in the cold compartment, frozen food in the freezer section.

I don't want weather forecasts, I don't want my horoscope, I don't want a lengthy diatribe on the utter futility of life.

I don't want a TV screen, I don't want it to monitor my food and send me status updates of what I need to get from the grocery store, I don't want it to count my calories and provide weight loss tips.

I also don't want to pay $5,000 for a fridge that becomes a canvas by which I can express my artistic temperament, I don't want it to measure my blood glucose and give me tips on controlling my A1C, and I don't want it to synch with my car, washing machine, foot massager, and my bidet.

I just want it to keep my cold food cold and my frozen food frozen.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 12:03:06 PM »

I don't want weather forecasts, I don't want my horoscope, I don't want a lengthy diatribe on the utter futility of life.

I don't want a TV screen, I don't want it to monitor my food and send me status updates of what I need to get from the grocery store, I don't want it to count my calories and provide weight loss tips.

I also don't want to pay $5,000 for a fridge that becomes a canvas by which I can express my artistic temperament, I don't want it to measure my blood glucose and give me tips on controlling my A1C, and I don't want it to synch with my car, washing machine, foot massager, and my bidet.

Yep... I want this, but with modern insulation and seals.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »

Well done.

We had one like this when we moved into the house in Flushing in ~1945-ish:

I still remember getting ice delivered when we lived in Ozone Park.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 01:56:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 12:23:02 PM »
I would assume that in the next year or so a top of the line fridge will auto order groceries as they need to be restocked. Within the decade the bot will show up to autonomously place them in there. The new world was going so great until your fridge turned you into the feds for stockpiling too much food.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 12:31:31 PM »
I bought a new fridge around 10 years ago, to replace the original GE that I'm pretty sure was part of the original builder's suite of appliances.

The GE was fine, but it was starting to come apart inside and it used, compared to 2010-era fridges, a TON of electric.

I purchased a top freezer Frigidaire. It has an ice maker, which I really didn't want, but I couldn't get one without an ice maker. I've never even hooked the ice maker up because running the plumbing in the basement would be a huge pain in the ass.

God only knows what I'm going to be forced to purchase the next time I buy a fridge.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 12:34:55 PM »
I would assume that in the next year or so a top of the line fridge will auto order groceries as they need to be restocked.

Think at least one of the major manufacturers had something along those lines already.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 12:47:33 PM »
I would assume that in the next year or so a top of the line fridge will auto order groceries as they need to be restocked. Within the decade the bot will show up to autonomously place them in there. The new world was going so great until your fridge turned you into the feds for stockpiling too much food.

I'm thinking of when Allen Harper had Charlie convinced that the washing machine would call him when it was done.

Phone rings.  Charlie: "Oh, that must be my washing machine."

Less and less funny as technology progresses goes on.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 01:04:42 PM »
"I bought my daughter a fridge for her birthday.  I can't wait to see her face light up when she opens the door."
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 01:13:50 PM »
I'm thinking of when Allen Harper had Charlie convinced that the washing machine would call him when it was done.

Phone rings.  Charlie: "Oh, that must be my washing machine."

Less and less funny as technology progresses goes on.

Phone call from the dryer telling you it's holding every matching sock hostage
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 01:39:20 PM »
Yes, some do.  "Smart" refrigerators.  Part of the Internet of Things movement from a few years ago.

I'm still waiting for them to come up with a better name for it than "internet of things."  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 02:02:07 PM »
I'm still waiting for them to come up with a better name for it than "internet of things."  ;/

Things on the Internet

Connected Stuff

Internet Switched Stuff Hierarchy Involved Technology

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 02:44:57 PM »

"crap I don't need"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 03:54:58 PM »
I really like my water and ice in the door.

Some of you sound like you'd rather go down to the ice house to buy a block every couple days.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 04:36:40 PM »
Internet Switched Stuff Hierarchy Involved Technology

Best name yet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 04:38:36 PM »
I really like my water and ice in the door.
I intentionally went with a model that doesn't have ice and water in the door.
Granted, it has an icemaker in the freezer and water in the fridge, just not taking up space (or displacing insulation) in the door.

My in-laws still use a 1930's GE monitor-top for beers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 05:15:56 PM »
I like having an ice maker.  It doesn't need to be in the door.  I plan to get a Berkey water filter this month and start using it.  Right now, I use the water dispenser quite a bit. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 05:25:22 PM »
Yep... I want this, but with modern insulation and seals.

and without the kid-killer doors.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.