Author Topic: Ford Lightning Electric Pick Up Truck...  (Read 635 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Ford Lightning Electric Pick Up Truck...
« on: October 06, 2022, 09:42:10 AM »
It's going to lightening your wallet even more.

Ford has just jumped the price another $5,000 to almost $52,000.

When it was announced in early 2021, the price was... $39,000 and change.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/05/ford-ups-starting-price-of-electric-f-150-lightning-to-51974-.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Ford Lightning Electric Pick Up Truck...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »
There's a grey one in town that I see couple times a week. He loves giving acceleration demonstrations. Sucker is quick!

$52k is on the lower end of mid-level spec XLT prices, so it's not out of line given the Lighting is outfitted at least that well, if not better. Sucky part is the undiscussed $4-6K home charging station installation (which could easily double if the install requires a new service panel).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 10:14:53 AM »
Yep.  *expletive deleted*it's getting more expensive. 

I just looked at Ford's website, and the F150 is the only truck/van that they don't have the MY 23 pricing up for.  I'd expect to see that going up as well.  I have also heard that while the Maverick is on the website as orderable, Ford isn't actually taking any new orders for it, since they have committed at least 3 years of production already. 

*expletive deleted*it is getting expensive and hard to find.  Welcome to the "new normal".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 10:15:52 AM »
Sucky part is the undiscussed $4-6K home charging station installation (which could easily double if the install requires a new service panel).

Brad

I'm reporting you to google/twitter/facebook for disinformation. Everyone knows that these are designed to be plugged into normal household 110 outlets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 10:18:39 AM »
*expletive deleted*it is getting expensive and hard to find.  Welcome to the "new normal".

I'm starting to kick myself for not upgrading my 2016 2WD F150 to a 2020 4WD F150 back at pre-covid panic, when the local dealership had a ton on the lot and was offering such a good deal on a trade that I could have been in the new truck for like $3K. I think those days are gone for a long time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 10:28:40 AM »
Sucky part is the undiscussed $4-6K home charging station installation (which could easily double if the install requires a new service panel).

Brad

FYI, chargers have come down quite a bit.  You can get a variety of Level 2 EV chargers for well under $1000.  https://www.amazon.com/Level-2-Charger/s?k=Level+2+Charger

9.6KW is kinda standard, and just needs someone to add a breaker and a range plug to your garage.  You can get a 11.5KW charger, but that needs to be hardwired, which (if you hire an electrician) will add a bit of cost.  Either way if your panel can support the 50 amp/240 circuit, you should be able to have the most powerful charger available for your house installed in the $1000-$1500 range.  Hell, even Tesla's 11.5KW wall charger is only $400.

If you need a new panel, or have aluminum wiring, that's a different matter.

ETA:  I clicked around and the Lightning actually comes with a 9.6KW Level 2 charging cord, which you can pug into your dryer plug, or add a plug, and the big battery one comes with a charging station.  The station is capable of 19.2 KW(!) of charging, which I assume will need a pair of 50A 240AC circuits, similar to the tankless water heaters.

Quote from: Ford FAQ
Does the F-150 Lightning come with a charge cord?
The Ford F-150 Lightning includes the 30A Mobile Power Cord, which allows you to charge from a traditional 120V or a 240V outlet. The F-150 Lightning with extended-range battery includes the 80A Ford Charge Station Pro as charging equipment. This allows a peak charging power of 19.2kW enabled by the extended-range’s dual onboard chargers, which means a full charge from 15-100% in about 8 hours**. For all F-150 Lightning home charging installation questions and needs, go to Sunrun.com. Professional installation by a qualified electrician is recommended.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:41:19 AM by dogmush »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 10:46:11 AM »
Known by the state of California to cause cancer and brownouts
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 10:51:28 AM »
9.6KW is kinda standard, and just needs someone to add a breaker and a range plug to your garage.  You can get a 11.5KW charger, but that needs to be hardwired, which (if you hire an electrician) will add a bit of cost.  Either way if your panel can support the 50 amp/240 circuit, you should be able to have the most powerful charger available for your house installed in the $1000-$1500 range.  Hell, even Tesla's 11.5KW wall charger is only $400.

If the prices of the trucks ever come down to something more reasonable, and/or if they offer an "XL" version, I could see one as my next truck. I mostly use my current F150 as a farm truck, and don't foresee needing to do long trips with the truck like I used to do (I'll use my 4Runner or replacement for that). I have plenty of free space in my panel for another outlet, or if they made an adapter for my welding outlet, it sounds like that would charge the truck. I probably wouldn't ever even need to use a public charging station - just charge it at home. All my truck trips these days seem to be if not 15 minutes to town, then generally 60-200 mile round trips.

Other than I'm actually looking at getting a little fishing boat, like a 14' Klamath or similar, so that could lead to some longer truck trips plus towing.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 10:52:24 AM »
Known by the state of California to cause cancer and brownouts

I don't think the entire state of CA has a spare 80A, but over here in FreedomLand we can add some more power to our houses. (at least until the next storm  =D )

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 12:01:40 PM »
FYI, chargers have come down quite a bit.  You can get a variety of Level 2 EV chargers for well under $1000.  https://www.amazon.com/Level-2-Charger/s?k=Level+2+Charger

Does the price include installation?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 12:21:19 PM »
Does the price include installation?

Brad

Read the next paragraph of that post......

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 12:26:07 PM »
Read the next paragraph of that post......

Don't want to. Can't make me. ptptptpbbbttt

Brad
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »
People are reporting dismal mileage per charge if actually using it like a truck, ie light hauling or towing etc. use the headlights and air con or wipers etc and maybe you don’t go very far.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 05:58:46 PM »
Given that most trucks are substitutes for people who want Big Cars, I'm surprised that nobody is marketing a full size EV sedan (and today's "full size" is about 2/3 of the 1975 Buick Electra 225 that I learned to drive in).

If I was running one of those outfits, I'd make a nice big cab, with the smallest bed I could get away with having the regulatory folks determine that it is a "truck."
Blog under construction

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »
Wasn’t there a tread about a couple testing the tow capability of the F150 EV?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 07:16:43 PM »
Do you have to treat the EV batteries like you do other rechargeable batteries?  I.e., cycle them to near complete discharge occasionally to prevent them developing a "memory"?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 07:50:07 PM »
Wasn’t there a tread about a couple testing the tow capability of the F150 EV?

There was.  There are also several youtubers that have done tests.  As a counterpoint, TFL Trucks channel RTFM and towed pretty successfully with one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbbNptxkNJ0

That said if I was towing frequently an electric truck would not be my choice.  Heck the way I use my truck (overlanding) an electric truck would not be my choice, but there are use cases where they work well.  The 75th percentile F150 that is a commuter truck, goes to kid's soccer games, tailgates, and goes to home depot once a quarter is the sweet spot for this truck.