Author Topic: This says SOMEthing about who's running our government . . .  (Read 2055 times)

HankB

• friend
This says SOMEthing about who's running our government . . .
« on: October 08, 2022, 03:47:06 PM »
I just happened to take a closer than usual look at the currency in my wallet and I noticed something interesting; if you look near the bottom right of the portrait on the front of a bill, there's a place for the signature of the Secretary of the Treasury.

Every secretary I remember has signed it in cursive, the way normal adults do. True, penmanship varied, but cursive is cursive.

Until now. David T. Mnuchin (Biden's appointee) (my bad - he worked for Trump.) printed his name the way a first grader who'd just learned his ABC's would.

Here's a link to historical signatures. (Order is alphabetic, not chronological.)  http://www.uspapermoney.info/sign/

I'm not sure exactly what this says about Biden and his appointees, but I'm sure it's nothing good.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:52:01 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: This says SOMEthing about who's running our government . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 03:54:47 PM »
Besides cursive not being taught anymore, apparently, people don't have a lot of opportunity to even really sign their name anymore either.

So much stuff that I sign nowadays is all on a screen, and they either want me to use my finger, which is ridiculous to do, so I end up with a halfassed "B" and then pretty much just a straight line, or else a lot of even legal forms let you choose from a selection of your name already "pre-signed" in some form of cursive or other, then you just point and click your way through.

Honestly, at that point a signature is almost worthless, because certainly none of my electronic signatures even remotely resemble my actual pen and paper signature.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 04:22:35 PM »
Haven't you heard? Cursive writing is racist. There were articles to that effect not too long ago.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 08:42:16 PM »
Devil's advocate:

Assuming that the point of writing something down is to communicate information clearly to a reader, what does cursive bring to the table? Why should people learn it?

Is anyone here's cursive penmanship better then their their printed penmanship?  Why do so many boomers want to metaphorically die on this hill?

FWIW I'm old enough that we still lined up on payday, signed our "payroll signature" and got cash for some of our money when I went to Basic Training.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 09:21:51 PM »
Devil's advocate:

Assuming that the point of writing something down is to communicate information clearly to a reader, what does cursive bring to the table? Why should people learn it?

Is anyone here's cursive penmanship better then their their printed penmanship?  Why do so many boomers want to metaphorically die on this hill?

FWIW I'm old enough that we still lined up on payday, signed our "payroll signature" and got cash for some of our money when I went to Basic Training.

I think the signature argument is different than the cursive argument. At least that's the argument I was trying to make. I've been printing for years, and yes, mostly for legibility (I think many lefties have worse cursive than righties from how we were forced to learn cursive writing). I still do my cursive signature though. A cursive signature is much more unique than a "printed" signature, which was historically kind of the point. You made your own unique signature that was more often than not hard to read, and that was the point - something difficult to forge.

It has been a very long time, but I still remember my signature being matched at the bank (and being called out if I happened to sign significantly differently), and even in stores when using a credit card. I don't think anyone signs the backs of their credit card anymore. There may not even be a spot for it.

Going electronic is fine, I guess, since that's where we're headed, but I don't get the point of an electronic signature, since doing something like the fingertip signature is almost impossible to do the same way repeatedly. If you're going electronic, then go biometric or token or something.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 09:44:22 PM »
Cursive works fine if penmanship is taught as well.  My penmanship is not so great, but legible to me.  I still tend to make notes printing as it is easier to read than my cursive.  I write cursive so little that I don't get a great deal of practice with it. 

When I was in high school, we still had teachers that would put notes on the overhead and we had to write it all down rather than them giving us copies.  I guess most of their books are electronic now and everything is on the computer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 10:05:42 PM »
I learned cursive, but never actually use it anymore.  In my opinion, cursive is going the way of shorthand.

My signature is not cursive.  It may have started that way, but now it is effectively a scribble - a glpyh - bearing no adherence to any of the rules of cursive.  On digital terminals, sometimes I just draw a smiley face.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 10:24:07 PM »
Captain Kirk Recites Preamble to Constitution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlGIHL4nZVU

I remember seeing this Star Trek episode years ago.  With the demise of cursive writing, it sort of takes on new meaning when you realize that many people will soon not be able to read the original version of the US Constitution.    =)

Of course, I never found that script all that easy to read myself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 02:31:36 AM »
Haven't you heard? Cursive writing is racist. There were articles to that effect not too long ago.

Writing is racist.

Spelling is racist.

Grammar is racist.

Math is racist.

Basically, anything and everything that normal, productive people need to know to be normal, productive people and to earn a living and possibly contribute something to the world ... is racist.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 08:20:31 AM »
The good, the true, and the beautiful is racist.

Civilization is racist.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 08:37:13 AM »
My signature has been printed for decades.  This is a carryover from when I was handwriting medical chart notes and my handwriting is all block capitals, so people can read the chart notes.  My typical signature for chart notes, credit card receipts and the like are my first two initials and full last name.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »
Steven T. Mnuchin was Secretary of the Treasury for Trump's entire term of office.  The current Secretary of the Treasury is Janet Yellen.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 01:07:07 PM »
I learned cursive, but never actually use it anymore.  In my opinion, cursive is going the way of shorthand.

My signature is not cursive.  It may have started that way, but now it is effectively a scribble - a glpyh - bearing no adherence to any of the rules of cursive.  On digital terminals, sometimes I just draw a smiley face.

My signature is just a squiggled line. The only important stuff I sign anyway is loan docs and hell half the *expletive deleted*it nowadays is e-signature
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 01:25:42 PM »
Steven T. Mnuchin was Secretary of the Treasury for Trump's entire term of office.  The current Secretary of the Treasury is Janet Yellen.

:laugh:  I thought there was something wrong with the OP.

Devil's advocate:

I believe the advantage is that it is a faster and smoother way of writing, and I suspect it may also be less tiring for the writer. It seems like a good idea to teach a way of writing that could make writing easier or more enjoyable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 01:30:41 PM »
Oops - I stand corrected.  :facepalm:   

I haven't seen Yellen's sig on any bills.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2022, 01:51:39 PM »
According to this article, cursive writing was necessary to write legibly using fountain pens. Ballpoint pens eliminated the "need" for cursive.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/08/ballpoint-pens-object-lesson-history-handwriting/402205/

The article some shed light on my maternal grandmother's gorgeous handwriting. It appears that she was old enough to have been taught Spencer script which was replaced by the Palmer method taught to many of us.
My default today is all capitals printing, like from high school drafting class. When journaling or other stream of consciousness writing, when only I need to read it, I try to remember to use cursive. It's a faster way for me to write.
7-11 was a part time job.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2022, 03:03:38 PM »
Schools could stop teaching cursive, and analog clocks, and replace the multiplication table with a calculator. They could also drop history, art, music, and everything else that's not needed for children's future careers. If we want schools to just make children into workers.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2022, 03:05:57 PM »
:laugh:  I thought there was something wrong with the OP.

I believe the advantage is that it is a faster and smoother way of writing, and I suspect it may also be less tiring for the writer. It seems like a good idea to teach a way of writing that could make writing easier or more enjoyable.

Tuco beat me to it, but no, it's a carryover from writing instruments that had issues when lifted from the page. Having watched several Gen Zers knock out emails with two thumbs on a touchscreen,  I'm pretty sure that's faster than block or print writing.   Maybe old people just need to learn to run adaptive keyboards better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »
Maybe old people just need to learn to run adaptive keyboards better.

YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!!!

Gen Zers can work those key boards because they have weak tiny little girl hands and fingers. :p

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »
Tuco beat me to it, but no, it's a carryover from writing instruments that had issues when lifted from the page. Having watched several Gen Zers knock out emails with two thumbs on a touchscreen,  I'm pretty sure that's faster than block or print writing.   Maybe old people just need to learn to run adaptive keyboards better.

Tuco said he writes faster when he uses cursive, which agrees with what I said. I was talking about the usefulness of cursive now; not about its origins.

I don't understand your hostility to cursive, or why you think it's somehow in competition with email, of all things.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2022, 05:04:47 PM »
I'm not hostile to cursive. I don't use it because my already not great penmanship is worse in cursive, but I can read it fine.

I just don't understand why so many older folks feel like the lack of cursive use or teaching is somehow significant. 

I will say that I don't think cursive writing aids in written communication in any way. Any advantages it has are for the writer, not the reader.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 06:07:47 PM »
I'm not hostile to cursive. I don't use it because my already not great penmanship is worse in cursive, but I can read it fine.

I just don't understand why so many older folks feel like the lack of cursive use or teaching is somehow significant. 

I will say that I don't think cursive writing aids in written communication in any way. Any advantages it has are for the writer, not the reader.

I think it's significant because much history, including our founding documents, was written in cursive.  It's important that at least some people are able to go back to the originals and read them to verify that the electronic transcriptions are accurate.  The more people that can do that (whether they avail themselves to do it or not) the better.  It's like asking why an anchor is important since when a boat is underway it's just unnecessary weight.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 06:39:59 PM »
Do you read Aramaic?  Or even Latin?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2022, 07:00:13 PM »

As I understand it, it was not that long ago that Latin was considered an important part of education, and well before the college level. But today, we say, "why bother? You'll never use that in your adult life. What's the point?"

We have this utilitarian view of education that insists everything has to be about job training and directly-applicable "life skills." Add to that public schools' obsession with meeting standardized tests, and pushing sex & gender confusion on small children.

The point is, kids should get a more full education, especially including things like cursive that allow them to be more connected to the writings of those who came before, and make it easier for them to write, and enjoy writing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:54:38 PM by Perd Hapley »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2022, 07:05:35 PM »

Touche'. =)  I do not, but I know people who do.
"It's good, though..."