Author Topic: Paypal Will Fine Users for "Misinformation"  (Read 2008 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Paypal Will Fine Users for "Misinformation"
« on: October 08, 2022, 04:41:15 PM »
It would probably be good to get some multiple sourcing on this, but if true, I'm not even sure (IANAL) how it's legal even for a private company to "fine" their users for "misinformation", whatever they're defining that as. I mean, it's not even really a fine, it's more like theft since they are apparently just taking it directly out of user accounts.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/10/08/paypal-says-it-can-pull-2500-from-users-accounts-if-they-promote-misinformation/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Paypal Will Fine Users for "Misinformation"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 04:54:08 PM »
Musk used the money he made in selling paypal to fund buying up Tesla, and in the founding of SpaceX and some 3rd company I can't remember right now. Maybe it's time for him to buy paypal back.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 05:43:27 PM »
It would probably be good to get some multiple sourcing on this, but if true, I'm not even sure (IANAL) how it's legal even for a private company to "fine" their users for "misinformation", whatever they're defining that as. I mean, it's not even really a fine, it's more like theft since they are apparently just taking it directly out of user accounts.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/10/08/paypal-says-it-can-pull-2500-from-users-accounts-if-they-promote-misinformation/

Alleged misinformation *where* exactly?  The boundaries for a policy like that make a huge difference.  If I say, "The king is a fink" (The Wizard of Id reference) here, that's different than saying it on a paypal message board.  I'm not aware that PP has a message board.  Perhaps they have a mailing service?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 07:59:51 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 08:32:37 PM »
Alleged misinformation *where* exactly?  The boundaries for a policy like that make a huge difference.  If I say, "The king is a fink" (The Wizard of Id reference) here, that's different than saying it on a paypal message board.  I'm not aware that PP has a message board.  Perhaps they have a mailing service?

There's already a bunch of president of the big tech companies holding what you do anywhere online against you.

Patreon in particular is notorious for closing accounts based on what people say on YouTube or Twitter.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 09:08:40 PM »
There's already a bunch of president of the big tech companies holding what you do anywhere online against you.

Patreon in particular is notorious for closing accounts based on what people say on YouTube or Twitter.

I suppose the President could set precedent, but there are other things that should take precedence.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 09:13:50 PM »

I've just recently been made aware of the Patreon goings on. I'm not super familiar with Patreon, but I recall it was where a lot of conservatives and gun folks were going for "freedom of speech" to avoid youtube censorship. I guess the freedom box is getting smaller and smaller.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 09:47:22 PM »
I've just recently been made aware of the Patreon goings on. I'm not super familiar with Patreon, but I recall it was where a lot of conservatives and gun folks were going for "freedom of speech" to avoid youtube censorship. I guess the freedom box is getting smaller and smaller.
You are thinking of other video sights like Rumble, Odysee, or Utreon.  Patreon is just a way to give money to creators you might want to support.  It doesn't host videos. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 07:25:59 AM »
It does host content now.  One of the hooks creates use is the existence of Patreon Only content for their patrons.  But it's mostly a way to monetize content without giving YouTube a cut.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 08:06:39 AM »
Like I said, I don't know much about it, other than a lot of the gun guys always saying to sign up to Patreon to get their content youtube is blocking.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
Is there a good alternative to paypal?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 09:55:07 AM »
Recently Paypal is trying to screw over someone I bought from.  Withholding the money from sales for a few months instead of paying it to the seller immediately.  I still have the account, but deleted the credit card info.  I guess I need to delete the account also.  It is convenient to use with small sellers (holster makers), but not if they pull this crap. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 10:27:29 AM »
Recently Paypal is trying to screw over someone I bought from.  Withholding the money from sales for a few months instead of paying it to the seller immediately.  I still have the account, but deleted the credit card info.  I guess I need to delete the account also.  It is convenient to use with small sellers (holster makers), but not if they pull this crap.

I've used paypal for things like the holster makers. Also other small businesses that don't want to deal with credit cards, like back when Steve went to dog school, the trainer only took paypal, venmo, etc. I've also used it to get money to people here, gofundme, etc.

I'm unsure what good and secure alternatives to paypal that there are. I have always funded paypal via a credit card, even though there is a service charge. I guess it's a boomer thing, but I am incredibly paranoid about giving out my bank account numbers for any kind of electronic payments or even for receiving money. I get on edge even when it's a wire transfer for real estate or similar through the escrow  company. I don't even use my ATM card anywhere except for the ATM machine at my bank.  =)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 04:28:19 PM »
I have never trusted PayPal, and especially not when they can reach into my account and take money out without my consent.

I did finally establish a PayPal account, to have available for those rare times when I want to buy something that I can't find anywhere else. Before doing so, I opened a small, senior citizen checking account in a bank different from the bank where I have all my other accounts. I only maintain a minimum balance in the account that's linked to PayPal, and it's isolated from everything else.

That's about the best I can do short of cancelling the account.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2022, 06:27:28 PM »
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2022, 09:23:49 PM »
Lots of folks in the hood use cashap, etc...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 08:32:54 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 11:32:19 AM »
Whoops, that was suppose to be in the Double Secret Policy and not the public one.

So it's either A) put in the language but got caught and are backpedaling, or B) have such piss poor administrative review that a grossly incorrect TOS revision was published.

So... they're either thieving liars or incompetent buffoons. I vote Both.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 03:21:56 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2022, 01:16:42 PM »
PayPal Stock TANKS After INSANE Social Credit System BACKFIRED, PayPal Claims It Was An Error
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL1CkQNxdYw

Tim Pool talks about it.  He mentioned a couple other services similar to Paypal. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2022, 01:17:02 PM »
So it's either A) put in the language but got caught and are backpedaling, or B) have such piss poor administrative review that a grossly incorrect TOS revision was published.

So... they're either thieving liars or incompetent buffoons. I vote Both.

Brad

Brad

Possibly both, but cynical me is trending towards "A" only because big corps like them have like a dozen legal reviews by dozens of lawyers before stuff like that goes out. Hence I lean more towards malice than stupidity.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2022, 03:22:48 PM »
Possibly both, but cynical me is trending towards "A" only because big corps like them have like a dozen legal reviews by dozens of lawyers before stuff like that goes out. Hence I lean more towards malice than stupidity.

Hard to rule it out, and for the very reasons you noted.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 11:10:40 PM »

Playing stupid as a legal strategy to avoid accountability.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2022, 08:37:58 AM »
Playing stupid as a legal strategy to avoid accountability.

Which makes the current CIC a master strategist . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2022, 03:32:26 PM »
10 Infractions For Which PayPal Will Remove $2,500 From Your Account
https://babylonbee.com/news/10-infractions-for-which-paypal-will-remove-2500-from-your-account

2. Saying that you don't really find Lizzo all that attractive: She is a powerful, beautiful large woman. How DARE you.

[barf]
- Calvin and Hobbes