Author Topic: Kroger to Buy Albertsons  (Read 1657 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Kroger to Buy Albertsons
« on: October 14, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »
I've never been to a Kroger, they are scarce as hen's teeth out West. Albertsons is a Boise based company, and in CA, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one. Obviously they are all over Idaho as well. When I need to go to a "real" grocery store, I drive to the closest Albertsons, about 30min away. Their flagship store is around an hour from me, and it's ginormous. They have stuff like $4000 bottles of wine there.

For you guys with Krogers, what are they like?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article267300697.html?ac_cid=DM711565&ac_bid=1113591831
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Kroger to Buy Albertsons
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 10:58:32 AM »
I don't think we've had any Krogers here in a while, but didn't the company go all anti-gun a few years ago?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 11:06:34 AM »
I don't think we've had any Krogers here in a while, but didn't the company go all anti-gun a few years ago?
Typical big corporation so probably.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 11:07:31 AM »
Been to a Wegman's? Harris Teeter? Sort of like that.

Higher scale than HyVee or Safeway.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 11:09:15 AM »
As far as I can tell Kroger's only firearms policy is asking customers not to open carry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 11:21:07 AM »
We usually shop at Fred Meyer which is part of Kroger.  Decent prices and quality.

I thought Safeway bought Albertsons a few years ago?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 11:24:16 AM »
Not surprised. That's kinda a Cerberus thing. Buy something cheap, usually a receivership or a bankruptcy asset acquisition, then bulk it up and sell it. They bought the Albertson's name and assets when Alby's went belly up, then started snapping up regional chains under the Albertson's banner. They IPO'd it at some point in the recent past but still have a 30% stake via shares. An eventual sale of the Albertson's corporate entity was always the presumption.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 04:05:27 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 11:55:43 AM »
I thought they already owned Albertson's. The sale flyer I get in the mail every Wednesday is already sporting both Kroger and Albertson's names on it.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 12:14:17 PM »
We usually shop at Fred Meyer which is part of Kroger.  Decent prices and quality.

I love Fred Meyer.  Any store at which I can buy food, paint, a pair of slacks, windshield wipers, and a waffle maker is OK in my book.  They have better food items than the local Walmarts, Safeways, and Albertson's.  The concern here is that will give Albertson's/Kroger a pretty effective grocery monopoly in Washington state.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 12:40:56 PM »
Been to a Wegman's? Harris Teeter? Sort of like that.

Higher scale than HyVee or Safeway.

I would say Albertsons and HyVee are equal. Safeway to me is a more non frills grocery store.

My experience at Kroger is that they are more like a Safeway or Piggly Wiggly.

HyVee is our nicer grocery store in Iowa. HyVee also started in Iowa too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 01:08:14 PM »
It's been a few years since I've been to a Kroger, but they struck me as being a level above Safeway.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 02:01:42 PM »

Oh, interesting. I didn't know Fred Meyer is under Kroger. We have lots of those.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 03:53:02 PM »
Albertson's closed its stores and moved out of the Austin, TX area over a decade back. I've never seen a Kroger store around here, but I've seen advertising that makes me think they may have some sort of affiliated grocery delivery service in town. The major grocers locally are HEB and Randall's, the latter being part of the Safeway brand.

When I was a youngster growing up in Chicago I remember my parents didn't like Kroger for some reason - there was something about Kroger's meat department they didn't like.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »
Kroger has been here in Michigan my whole life.  They have a great selection of products at fair prices, except for steak or any form of beef; their prices on beef are ridiculously high.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 04:56:25 PM »
Kroger has been here in Michigan my whole life.  They have a great selection of products at fair prices, except for steak or any form of beef; their prices on beef are ridiculously high.

The shitty local store we try to only go to occasionally had chicken breast for $6.48/lb.  Wasn’t even “organic”, just the same low quality stuff they always have.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 05:02:08 PM »
Anyways, I guess I'm just hoping that this will end up more like what would have happened had Cabela's bought out Bass Pro, versus what did happen when Bass Pro bought out Cabela's.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 09:33:12 PM »

No. Several years ago Shannon Watts from Everytown for gun control tried to pressure them to post all their stores as gun free zones.  Company HQ told her no.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 10:28:36 PM »
No. Several years ago Shannon Watts from Everytown for gun control tried to pressure them to post all their stores as gun free zones.  Company HQ told her no.

OK. I remember now. Thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 08:38:09 AM »

Yep, IIRC, she got on her twitter feed and started crowing about how Kroger was prohibiting open carry in their stores.

Kroger's statement was a LOT different...

"Kroger is respectfully asking that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores, other than authorized law enforcement officers"

Apparently anyone who dared point that out on her twitter feed at the time was summarily booted.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 05:16:04 PM »
As far as I can tell Kroger's only firearms policy is asking customers not to open carry.

Don’t bother looking for a shooting magazine at Kroger.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 05:42:32 PM »
I think you mean "clip".
7-11 was a part time job.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2022, 05:58:35 PM »
Marianos in Chicagoland is owned by Kroger. They are slightly nicer than Jewel which is owned by Albertsons.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2022, 07:06:44 PM »

I can't remember when I looked for a shooting magazine anywhere.

Decades, likely.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »
Here in Central Ohio, the choice is Kroger, Giant Eagle, or a local independent place if you are really lucky.  Kroger isn't bad.  They push their own brands, which are hit and miss.  They are a union shop, which matters to some people.  Decent selection of most things, prices are okay.  Around me, they seem to be suffering from supply issues, but those tend to be short term problems.  I've always found the deli , bakery, and butcher staff to be helpful and mostly friendly if you are friendly, too.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

JN01

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 09:03:33 PM »

My local (E. Tenn) Kroger carries them.