Author Topic: Kroger to Buy Albertsons  (Read 1659 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Kroger to Buy Albertsons
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2022, 09:19:58 PM »
My local (E. Tenn) Kroger carries them.

Mine carries a few.  Honestly, haven't paid attention much.  Haven't bought a gun magazine in 20+ years.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

JN01

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2022, 09:44:20 PM »
Mine carries a few.  Honestly, haven't paid attention much.  Haven't bought a gun magazine in 20+ years.

I haven't bought any in a long time either.  I will occasionally leaf through them if I have to wait for the pharmacy to fill a script.

Speaking of scripts, Kroger has a great prescription savings club, I think it is $39/year.  With it, drugs cost less than with my health insurance plan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2022, 09:46:53 PM »
My Kroger/ King Soopers store has also been a little spotty on shelf stock, too, but not bad.  The only reason I shop there is that it's smack-dab on the way to my POB.

They had some trouble a while ago with theft of their electric handicapped carts and that was a royal pain in the butt, but they got that squared away.  I think they installed the same kind of parking-lot limiting system they have for the regular shopping carts to prevent swipage.

I knew a guy back in about 2000 CE who made substantial beer money by driving around and picking up stray shopping carts that people would use to just get their groceries home --a more or less justifiable reason for taking them and i guess it was just "understood" that was sorta OK.  I seem to remember he made $1.50 for every cart he rescued.  That business has been obsoleted by the parking lot limiters nowadays.

I've seen gun mags there, but I get The Rifleman for free and 2A current events on a daily basis off the net.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 10:35:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2022, 11:41:05 PM »
AFAIK, the nearest Kroger is about 30 miles east of me and it is a relatively small store, just like the town where it is located.
In this area, the two main regional chains are Schnuck's and Dierberg's but we also have two discounters, German-owned Aldi and Kroger-owned Ruler.  However, thanks to inflation (and possibly gouging/collusion), NEITHER Ruler or Aldi's prices are very good any more.
  [barf]  :mad:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2022, 07:24:58 AM »
I knew a guy back in about 2000 CE who made substantial beer money by driving around and picking up stray shopping carts that people would use to just get their groceries home --a more or less justifiable reason for taking them and i guess it was just "understood" that was sorta OK.  I seem to remember he made $1.50 for every cart he rescued.  That business has been obsoleted by the parking lot limiters nowadays.

I thought you lived in Colorado, not Canada.

https://youtu.be/-l0KNCzb88Q
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2022, 08:27:08 AM »
I miss Freddies.  Being a PNW chain, they don't have them in NC, obviously.  Used to buy 50 round boxes of 30 carbine at the Cornelius, OR Fred Meyer for $12.  Thems was the good ole days of reasonably priced ammo.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2022, 08:32:33 AM »
I'm in DC Metro. Looks like the closest Krogers to me are in Richmond. Not going to Richmond to shop.

But, something I did NOT realize until just a few moments ago...

Harris Teeter groceries, which I have always liked, have been under the Kroger umbrella since 2014.

I literally had no clue. So, I guess I shopped at a Kroger a few weeks ago, then. It was just branded as a Harris Teeter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2022, 08:40:25 AM »
There is supposedly a Harris Teeter going to open here in Hickory fairly soon.  The boss and I plan to check them out.
Piggly Wiggly just took over the small, local Galaxy grocery chain.  There's one just a few miles away we need to check.  The Galaxy store used to be kind of run down.  I'm wondering if the Piggly Wiggly folks spiffed the place up at all.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2022, 09:58:40 AM »
I miss Freddies.  Being a PNW chain, they don't have them in NC, obviously.  Used to buy 50 round boxes of 30 carbine at the Cornelius, OR Fred Meyer for $12.  Thems was the good ole days of reasonably priced ammo.

As far as I know, Fred Meyer no longer sells any firearms or ammunition; at least I don't see it anymore at the stores in this area.  I bought a Ruger LCR a few years back at an excellent sale from the Fred Meyer in Monroe, WA.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2022, 03:13:03 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/17/business/kroger-albertsons-merger-groceries/index.html

I see the argument about how a merger will produce efficiencies of scale and cost savings will result in lower prices to consumers. The same argument is made when health systems merge, and it almost always results in higher prices to the patients due to decreased competition; so color me skeptical that a grocery merger will result in lower prices.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2022, 03:23:14 PM »
There is supposedly a Harris Teeter going to open here in Hickory fairly soon.  The boss and I plan to check them out.
Piggly Wiggly just took over the small, local Galaxy grocery chain.  There's one just a few miles away we need to check.  The Galaxy store used to be kind of run down.  I'm wondering if the Piggly Wiggly folks spiffed the place up at all.

Harris Teeter is a fancyish grocery store. The one here has a live band. No, don’t ask me why a grocery store has a live band. I’m not the sophisticated shopper they apparently want.

Lowes Foods is also a very good grocery store also not cheap but good meats, deli, and premade.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 04:18:08 PM »
Lowes Foods is also a very good grocery store also not cheap but good meats, deli, and premade.

The Lowes around here have a great beer section.  You can even sit at a small bar and enjoy draft beer or wine by the glass.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2022, 04:31:57 PM »
The Lowes around here have a great beer section.  You can even sit at a small bar and enjoy draft beer or wine by the glass.

I have often said that if Target put in a bar, they would clean up.  I know I would be happier to accompany the wife there if I could sit and have a good beer while she shops.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »
I have often said that if Target put in a bar, they would clean up.  I know I would be happier to accompany the wife there if I could sit and have a good beer while she shops.

Had malls done this 15 years ago they might still be a viable business model.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2022, 09:20:25 PM »
Had malls done this 15 years ago they might still be a viable business model.

Almost every midwest mall had at least one bar and grill in them during the heyday of malls. Didn't save them, the mostly vacant mall where I live has a popular sports bar in it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2022, 07:32:28 AM »
Almost every midwest mall had at least one bar and grill in them during the heyday of malls. Didn't save them, the mostly vacant mall where I live has a popular sports bar in it.

Bingo.

When I moved to DC metro in 1990 there were a couple of really happening malls -- Fair Oaks, Tysons Corners, Springfield, and Potomac Mills -- within easy driving distance of where we lived in DC and later in Virginia.

Of those, Springfield mall is gone, remodeled/replaced by a town center concept. The others are in varying stages of relevance.

I can't remember when I last set foot in a mall; it's been maybe 5 or so years and for dinner with friends, not shopping.

But, even back then, casual dining restaurants with bars were very much a part of all of those malls. I think Tysons even has a brew pub in the mall, now.

I will admit, I still get nostalgic when I think of malls in the 1980s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2022, 09:59:24 AM »
As a kid in the 80’s going into a mall usually meant school clothes shopping with my mom and sister.  I’d get a headache within 20’ of walking inside.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2022, 11:29:43 AM »
Yeah, there was definitely that. But, also, my Mom was doing the antique show circuit, and in those days that meant a lot of setting up in the concourses of the various malls and sitting there for hours hoping someone would buy the stuff so you didn't have to load it back in the car.

Fortunately, by the time the Reagan '80s were in full swing I was driving and I was able to visit the malls on my own terms, often with my friends, to hit the movies and the video arcades. That's also around the time that I started building my tool collection, and that meant Sears Craftsman. I spent a TON of time cruising the tool aisles in a bunch of Sears stores in Central Pennsylvania. I still miss the smells -- that rich oily smell from the coatings on the tools, that sharp, tangy smell from the plastic used on the screwdriver handles -- and the sound of sockets and wrenches clanking together... all of that's gone now, and I get really nostalgic when I think about those days.