Author Topic: OBD2 scanner adapter  (Read 143 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
OBD2 scanner adapter
« on: July 15, 2024, 01:54:19 PM »
I have an old OBD2 scanner. Lately I see a lot of adapters to allow using an app for scanning. Has anyone used this one, or something like it? Is there any advantage to this over a 20-year old Harbor Freight scan tool?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083FML519/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=A3KPXUYJ6Q9XBG&psc=1
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: OBD2 scanner adapter
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 06:41:23 PM »
unless you have a laptop with scanning software on it, that won't work, so probably not an improvement.  I used a very similar cable, laptop, and FORscan software to talk to the body ECUs on my older F-150.  I no longer use that setup.

Your 20 YO Harbor freight scanner hasn't been updated in 20 years, so it's missing a bunch of the newer protocols, and some of the manufacturer specific codes.  It will (or should) pull the rock basic OBDII alpha-numeric codes still, as the base protocols haven't changed, just the extra stuff.

If you want the extra codes, newer definitions built in and data-logging/streaming capability, you will need to upgrade to a newer scanner, a laptop with scan software, or a Bluetooth OBD II dongle and android/iOS scanning software.

Personally, I prefer the bluetooth/Android solution, but I'm comfortable with sideloading APKs on my tablet and using it.  I like not dragging a whole laptop out to the vehicle.  IME those kind of apps really shine when you start coding the computers for different stuff (tire/gear size, fuel trim maps, unused computer options from other regions, stuff like that)

For basic troubleshooting a dedicated scantool is still the easiest.  Something like this has full OBDII and some CANbus functionality, and gives you live data for some sensors.

You can get more functionality and add things like ABS bleeding ability with more expensive tools.

Kinda depends on how much you are looking to muck with the computers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 07:00:41 PM »
I recently got this dedicated scanner based on Project Farm's review:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJV3E12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, like Dogmush, for common stuff, I like the $30 bluetooth scanners. I recently had a thread about my F150's CHT sensor going wacko, and though I had a bluetooth ODBII, it was in the other vehicle. I bought a second one and now keep one in each vehicle. Had I had one in the F150, I could have made it home in 15 minutes instead of the two hours or whatever it took me not being able to clear the code.

I run my bluetooth scanners with the Torque app, which when paired, lets you do a lot of cool non-scanning stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 03:12:51 PM »
+1 for the Torque app on a cell phone with a cheap OBD Bluetooth plugin! That's what I have been using. My Escape trips the Evap Sys pretty regularly and all I have to do is use the tool to reset the alert and all is good till the next time. I love the performance data logging where it records the Gs in all 3 vectors. VERY cool.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!