Author Topic: Words You Can't Spell  (Read 359 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Words You Can't Spell
« on: July 16, 2024, 04:26:15 PM »
Just now posting over in politics, I once again hit a word that I actually use a fair amount, but in over half a century on the planet, I cannot freakin' spell the word without looking it up. In fact I'm so bad at it that spellcheck doesn't even know what I'm talking about. The word?

Bureaucrat (or bureaucracy).

It never fails that I jumble up the letters in the middle. It's especially irksome to me because I spent an entire career surrounded by bureaucrats and bureaucracy (even now I had to correct the spelling on both words in this sentence). Also irksome, because as a kid, I actually made it to the county spelling bee finals once.

Do any of you have words you just can't spell for the life of you?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Words You Can't Spell
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 04:51:44 PM »
When I was a kid I had trouble with the -eau- words like bureaucrat, though I think beautiful was the word I was trying to spell. I sounded out all the vowels, "bee-a-yoo-tifful," and for some reason that stuck with me. I still say it in my head every time I spell a word that has that particular dipthong. "byur-ee-a-yoo-crat"

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 05:34:55 PM »
Lingerie. Forever wanting to put an "a" where the first "i" is.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 05:46:41 PM »
"Nuisance".  I have no idea why I have trouble spelling that one, it's not that hard but it befuddles me.
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 06:51:15 PM »
Waytle yoo git ta 80.  Thayer all bea hard ta spall.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

castle key

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 06:53:16 PM »
"License." So much trouble getting it in my head.

Then I became a police, and this word was on so many reports.

I figured it out.

I retired as a Lieutenant, so I obviously went through Sergeant. I get crazy when these are botched!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 07:54:19 PM »
"Restaurant" is one I always stumble over (except this time!).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 08:40:12 PM »
Manure.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 09:01:05 PM »
Just now posting over in politics, I once again hit a word that I actually use a fair amount, but in over half a century on the planet, I cannot freakin' spell the word without looking it up. In fact I'm so bad at it that spellcheck doesn't even know what I'm talking about. The word?

Bureaucrat (or bureaucracy).

It never fails that I jumble up the letters in the middle. It's especially irksome to me because I spent an entire career surrounded by bureaucrats and bureaucracy (even now I had to correct the spelling on both words in this sentence). Also irksome, because as a kid, I actually made it to the county spelling bee finals once.

Do any of you have words you just can't spell for the life of you?

I always have trouble with those same two words, Ben.  I have to look up bureaucrat and bureaucracy up almost every time I want to use them.  And I've been quite good at spelling most of my life.  I think that's because I have always read a lot over the years.
And as I get older, there are a few mores words that are starting to escape me, words I used to be able to spell without difficulty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2024, 09:05:40 PM »
And as I get older, there are a few mores words that are starting to escape me, words I used to be able to spell without difficulty.

Tell me about it. Same here. Maybe I need to take one of them there cognitive tests.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 09:09:12 PM »
Took one of the cagnative test late last year for insurance purposes.  I passed it.  Not sure how, perzactly.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2024, 09:52:25 PM »
"Restaurant" is one I always stumble over (except this time!).
Restarant gets me all the time as well.   =)    Bureucrat is probably the other one I use more frequently that I mess up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2024, 11:13:40 PM »
Menometrorrhagia.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • We NEED a President with his good luck!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2024, 03:38:35 AM »
"Gauge."  I hate using "gage" as a substitute, then realized the a and u are in the vowel alphabetical order: a e i o u.  No porblem after that.

230 ummm... 230 and something, something up front, two... ummmm

Oh, dummy me, of caurse:

RN230, Jerry
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 05:14:23 AM by 230RN »
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2024, 07:17:16 AM »
privilege

Every time I try to type it out quickly I throw at least one, and occasionally several, d in it...

Privdilididge is probably the worst version I ever typed out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2024, 03:40:20 PM »
"Gauges" tend to be measuring devices... "Gages" tend to be fixed go/no-go devices.
Blog under construction

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • We NEED a President with his good luck!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2024, 02:37:33 AM »
"Gauges" tend to be measuring devices... "Gages" tend to be fixed go/no-go devices.

:) Watch it, or you'll start another motor versus engine war. Or pattern versus group war. Or gun versus rifle war. Or revolver versus pistol war.   Or magazine versus clip war.  Or mil versus degree war.  Or minute of angle versus inch war.  Or who the scientists Second, Erg, Meter, and Liter were...

I'm getting out of the way using my high speed racing cane and I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 03:31:33 AM by 230RN »
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2024, 06:04:03 PM »
My posts are intentionally littered with misspelled words and odd grammer to assure you all that I'm not A.I.
7-11 was a part time job.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2024, 06:18:33 PM »

...and "Gauges" are put in people's earlobes and cheeks. (shudder)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!