Main Forums > The Roundtable

EVs not ready for prime time?

(1/30) > >>

Hawkmoon:
At least, not ready for exposure to salt water. It seems Florida is seeing a rash of Tesla fires after the hurricane.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/transport/tesla-fires-after-hurricane-raises-alarm-for-florida-officials

HankB:
My neighbor has an EV - I think it's a Hyundai Ioniq - and she likes it. She told me she just plugs it in to regular house current, not a 220 line, and it has plenty of range.

But today she's driving down to San Antonio. We live just west of Austin, so that's a pretty good highway road trip and I expect she'll be using A/C, so when she gets back I'll have to ask her if she made the round trip on 1 charge, or if she had to plug it in somewhere.

230RN:
She should keep an electron can in her car so she can hitch-hike to the next charging station to get going again.

Small electron can for electric motorcycles:

Boomhauer:

--- Quote from: HankB on October 15, 2022, 10:36:28 AM ---My neighbor has an EV - I think it's a Hyundai Ioniq - and she likes it. She told me she just plugs it in to regular house current, not a 220 line, and it has plenty of range.

But today she's driving down to San Antonio. We live just west of Austin, so that's a pretty good highway road trip and I expect she'll be using A/C, so when she gets back I'll have to ask her if she made the round trip on 1 charge, or if she had to plug it in somewhere.

--- End quote ---

Is it a true full EV or a plug in hybrid? See a lot of people buying the plug in hybrids these days where they get 30-40 miles of range on the battery then it runs the engine

Blakenzy:
Pure EVs are definitely not ready to be the "every day, every man's" type of vehicle. Battery tech has a long way to go until price and convenience matches internal combustion. I know that these  days everything is made (in china) to be disposable, but can EVs even make it to 5 years before they NEED to get scrapped? Battery life and health is still a huge issue in phones, I fear going though the same charade with a car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version