Author Topic: EVs not ready for prime time?  (Read 17487 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: EVs not ready for prime time?
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2024, 07:17:28 AM »
I've seen most of the EVs currently on the market.

Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Rivian, Ioniq, and a few others.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2024, 06:20:52 PM »
What will really do the trick for EVs is when they are convenient. And cheap. Think "Model T" and "easily charged."

Until that, we're going to be looking at virtue signaling for people who can afford the extra to put a charger in their house's garage. Which means "people who can afford a house with a garage."
Blog under construction

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2024, 07:14:15 PM »
What will really do the trick for EVs is when they are convenient. And cheap. Think "Model T" and "easily charged."

Until that, we're going to be looking at virtue signaling for people who can afford the extra to put a charger in their house's garage. Which means "people who can afford a house with a garage."

Until solid state batteries are ready for prime time I don't see "convenient and cheap" happening.  And even then it might be a while before "cheap" is a reality.  And until there's a build out of charging stations (and power stations to run them) "convenient" will be relative to current EVs.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2024, 08:14:08 PM »

I know quite a few people here in Northern Virginia who have no chargers at their homes.

Two of my neighbors on my court have Teslas, and there are several others in my community, as well.

All make use of the rather extensive charging network here in Northern Virginia.

The Wawa less than a half mile from my house has 15 chargers, including several superchargers.

The grocery store where I shop has several chargers on every level of the parking garage.

The building where most of my team works has several chargers on the first level of the garage. They were recently installed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2024, 09:08:23 AM »
I shall surmise, then, that a lot of the people in northern Virginia, and environs, think that there will be no problem with charging.

There are five semi-public chargers near my house, which is in a fairly built up area, where most of the houses use on-street parking. You are expected to patronize the pub while your vehicle charges.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2024, 10:21:25 AM »
22 reported dead in South Korean lithium battery factory fire.

Doesn't appear that they make car batteries, but lithium car batteries have shown quite the propensity to light off and stay lit off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/24/fire-at-south-korea-battery-plant-kills-at-least-16-people-report.html?qsearchterm=

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2024, 01:25:01 PM »

Tesla is going to make a mint if they get to the point where convenient and cheap collide and they actually produce a "Model T" in line with many of their other model designations that are single letters.  Unless Ford holds a patent on the name "Model T."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2024, 02:39:53 AM »
I wonder if the latest Supreme Court ruling eliminating Chevron deference is going to lead any auto makers to sue the Fed over unrealistic mileage standards. I’m not sure how much of the CAFE standards are actual law as opposed to bureaucratic regulations.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2024, 06:55:07 AM »
Tesla is going to make a mint if they get to the point where convenient and cheap collide and they actually produce a "Model T" in line with many of their other model designations that are single letters.  Unless Ford holds a patent on the name "Model T."
IANAL, but I'm sure any patent expired long ago. Copyrights and trademarks last much longer than patents - trademarks indefinitely, so long as the owner keeps the registration current and  defends them so the term doesn't become generic.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2024, 11:54:02 AM »
Musk could just go with "Model Tesla." It can't be a worse name than Cybertruck.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2024, 11:56:33 AM »
Musk could just go with "Model Tesla." It can't be a worse name than Cybertruck.

Apple iTruck  :P
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2024, 03:06:12 PM »

Unservicable, and out of date in 3 years.  Apple customers are used to fast obsolescence.  "They'll buy a new one.  They always do."

Oh, yeah.  The batteries are glued in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2024, 09:25:12 PM »
Unservicable, and out of date in 3 years.  Apple customers are used to fast obsolescence.  "They'll buy a new one.  They always do."

And if you don't buy a new one every year Apple will send an update that will cause the car to mysteriously suddenly have a top speed of 20mph.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2024, 10:28:16 PM »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2024, 12:13:44 AM »
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2024, 08:55:28 AM »
Kind-a cool.  My great uncle, who died when I was 11 or 12, had a Chevy truck of that vintage.  I remember it well.

$169K, and they haven't started making them yet.  <sad>

Looks like an early C10 model.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2024, 04:58:47 PM »

- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2024, 08:53:03 AM »
But I need to charge my EV
Another example of how our power grid just isn't ready

New Yorkers told to limit energy use for second week during extreme heat: ‘It’s BS’
https://nypost.com/2024/07/16/us-news/new-yorkers-told-to-limit-energy-use-for-second-week-during-extreme-heat-its-bs/
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2024, 09:40:10 AM »
I know one guy that is thrilled with his EV. He farms a couple miles from me and bought an all electric Ford F150 loaded with all the options. He doesn't mind the 150 mile per charge capacity because he uses it local only. He has solar panels on his barn and machine shed.
and it's a farm expense write off. He said the whole thing cost him $27K after incentives. $0 fuel cost just some maintenance.
probably not many people in his position.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2024, 10:22:07 AM »
He said the whole thing cost him $27K after incentives. $0 fuel cost just some maintenance.
probably not many people in his position.

Interesting. I take my F150 on long drives occasionally, but mostly just to stretch its legs. The 4Runner is the primary road tripper. Otherwise the majority of driving with the F150 is local (rural local), which for me is usually either ~70 mile round trips or ~120 mile round trips. At $27K, I could be convinced to look into one for my use case. That's half of what an adequately equipped gasser F150 goes for nowadays.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2024, 10:56:07 AM »
Interesting. I take my F150 on long drives occasionally, but mostly just to stretch its legs. The 4Runner is the primary road tripper. Otherwise the majority of driving with the F150 is local (rural local), which for me is usually either ~70 mile round trips or ~120 mile round trips. At $27K, I could be convinced to look into one for my use case. That's half of what an adequately equipped gasser F150 goes for nowadays.
You might be in a very similar situation esp if you have or plan to have solar panels.
Some of those incentives are state and Illinois is all in on green thanks to our politics.
I know he waited almost 2 years for his but availability should be better now.
What we have here is failure to communicate.