Author Topic: Another Prime Minister Bites the Dust  (Read 910 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Another Prime Minister Bites the Dust
« on: October 20, 2022, 08:39:40 AM »
No link as it was just breaking news on the teevee, but the UK Prime Minister, Liz Truss just announced her resignation. She's been in, what, like a month since Johnson quit?

They've got a mess over there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Another Prime Minister Bites the Dust
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 08:51:30 AM »
A term of six weeks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »
Info on BBCNews.com is a confused mess on the matter but it seems fighting over voting on a fracking bill may have been a big part in pushing her over the edge.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-63309400

MPs allege bullying during chaotic fracking vote
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63322533
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 09:11:32 AM »
OK, I did NOT expect that. I knew the entire budget mess, in which the chancellor of the exchequer lost his position a couple of weeks ago and which saw the pound in free fall, had damaged her badly but I really thought she was going to be able to survive that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 09:26:35 AM »
UK Faces Major Blackouts Due To War, Media Prepares Secret Talking Points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjUh8JETq8&t=5s
Timcast IRL

Are there some potentially bad things coming around this Winter?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 09:39:13 AM »

I was telegramming with a cousin in krautland this morning. He told me electricity there is now at 0.80eu/kwh. It was running 0.30eu prior to the craziness. The euro and dollar are neck and neck right now. I can't imagine paying $0.80/kwh for my heat pump.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 09:42:25 AM »
I was telegramming with a cousin in krautland this morning. He told me electricity there is now at 0.80eu/kwh. It was running 0.30eu prior to the craziness. The euro and dollar are neck and neck right now. I can't imagine paying $0.80/kwh for my heat pump.

I just checked, we're paying 12 cents per kilowatt hour
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 09:44:07 AM »
UK Faces Major Blackouts Due To War, Media Prepares Secret Talking Points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjUh8JETq8&t=5s
Timcast IRL

Yes there are some potentially bad things coming this winter.  However, Timcast IRL, and specifically Luke, have been getting a little hyperbolic about the global cabal leading us into nuclear war and the whole world being killed.  Apply some salt to their show.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 10:11:33 AM »
Yes there are some potentially bad things coming this winter.  However, Timcast IRL, and specifically Luke, have been getting a little hyperbolic about the global cabal leading us into nuclear war and the whole world being killed.  Apply some salt to their show.
I try to do that always with internet stuff.  They can sometimes get a bit on the sky-is-falling side of things with the stuff they talk about.  I rarely listen to their full show anyway, mostly just some of the clips.

If something coming around the corner is real, you will usually see it come up in multiple places. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 10:13:02 AM »
I just checked, we're paying 12 cents per kilowatt hour

I think that's roughly what I pay for my power in Northern Virginia by the time taxes and fees are factored in...

Yep, that's what Dominion Virginia is saying...

"Based on rates in effect as of November 1, 2020, a typical Dominion Energy residential customer in Virginia using 1,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity per month receives a monthly bill of $116.55. Put another way, the typical residential customer in Virginia pays a per-kilowatt-hour rate of about 11.66 cents ."

I know Dominion has winter and summer rate structures. I THINK the winter rate is somewhat lower, but I can't remember for sure. All I know is that I only use about 500 kwhr in the winter now because of the pellet stove. My monthly bill, however, is the same month over month because I'm on what they call the budget billing plan.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 10:16:30 AM »
I have never liked those leveled out bill plans.  I like seeing my bill go up and down through the year, usually with the season. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »
The Snohomish County PUD tells me I pay 10.47 cents per kilowatt hour.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 11:53:21 AM »
K-Frame noted:

"I think that's roughly what I pay for my power in Northern Virginia by the time taxes and fees are factored in..."

Well, factored out, I think.  Minor.

Watch it with those constant fees. The less energy you use, the higher your cost per kWh looks.

If your constant fees are $10 and you use no electricity that month, the per kWh cost is infinite ( ∞).

E.g.
$10 bill (fees, constant) ÷ 0 kWh  (energy used that month)  = $∞ per kWh.

You have to subtract all the constant fees from the total bill to get a true cost per kWh.

I noticed in his quote, the company specified 1000 kWh.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:18:55 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »
I have never liked those leveled out bill plans.  I like seeing my bill go up and down through the year, usually with the season. 

I see my bill go up and down with the seasons, too, when I read the billing statement. It even includes the total of that month's usage.

But I just pay the same amount every bill.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 02:11:30 PM »
Over the past year my electric cost has varied between 10.5 and 12.7 cents per KWH all fees & taxes included, including a monthly "storm surcharge" for damage done by a severe (for the South) winter storm that hit Texas in February 2021.

Joe Biden and the Democrats think that your savings over the European rates should be counted as income and taxed - that's why he's hiring 87,000 new IRS agents and arming a bunch of them.

OK, that's not true - I hope! - but the huge increases in cost your cousin is experiencing is largely a direct result of the German leadership they've elected. (Are those lunatics STILL shutting down nuke plants?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 02:21:27 PM »

Joe Biden and the Democrats think that your savings over the European rates should be counted as income and taxed - that's why he's hiring 87,000 new IRS agents and arming a bunch of them.

OK, that's not true - I hope!

Someone in the admin just leaned back in their chair from their computer after getting an e-mail from someone in the FBI Far Right Extremism Forum Monitoring Dept and thought to themselves, "that's a brilliant idea!" and just shot off a memo to the IRS.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 03:08:37 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 03:05:37 PM »
Someone in the admin just leaned back in their chair from their computer after getting an e-mail from someone in the FBI Far Right Extremism Forum Monitoring Dept and thought to themselves, "that's a brilliant idea!" and just shot off a memo to the IRS.

LOL

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 03:31:33 PM »
What really happened in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URzLyyogSA0

Paul Joseph Watson is just a bit opinionated.  Here is his take on the PM change over. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 09:33:17 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-63327087

Rishi Sunak is the new British PM.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2022, 07:56:23 PM »
Is t the new PM part of the digital currency push?