Author Topic: Rationing Heating Oil  (Read 1198 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Rationing Heating Oil
« on: October 25, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
Europe? Nope, well actually yes but this is in Brandon's USA

Says stockopiles are down by 70% and prices will increase by 27%.
Looks like it will mainly effect the N.E. If you live in those areas enjoy

New York and New England start RATIONING heating oil before winter as stockpiles slump by 70% and fears rise that families will be left in the cold
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11353193/New-York-New-England-begin-rationing-heating-oil-winter.html

Lets Go Brandon!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Rationing Heating Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 01:41:23 PM »
Good grief, can't people just freeze to death a little bit, if it means we get to keep our democracy? Put on a sweater, you Putin-lovers!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 02:23:45 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
. . . New York and New England start RATIONING heating oil before winter as stockpiles slump by 70% and fears rise that families will be left in the cold . . .
In the 2020 election, all six New England states - Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont - voted for Biden. As did New York, of course.

So if heating oil rationing goes into effect, they'll be getting what they voted for, and they'll be getting it good and hard.  =D

I wonder if this is related to the OP?

https://jalopnik.com/theres-only-a-25-day-supply-of-diesel-in-the-u-s-repo-1849687971
Diesel and heating oil are pretty much the same thing - I knew a guy who used to run his diesel car (a Mercedes, IIRC) on heating oil which was a lot cheaper back then.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 02:33:03 PM »
I wonder if this is related to the OP?

https://jalopnik.com/theres-only-a-25-day-supply-of-diesel-in-the-u-s-repo-1849687971

From google

Diesel fuel used in diesel-powered vehicles and other engines is basically No. 2 home heating oil. The only difference is that home heating oil has a dye added to it that distinguishes it from untaxed or lower-taxed fuels. The higher-taxed diesel fuels are used for over-the-road vehicles

So I would say yes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 02:44:18 PM »
You know what?  They can have mine.  I will commit to not using any heating oil this winter so the commies up north can have some.   >:D

In the 2020 election, all six New England states - Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont - voted for Biden. As did New York, of course.

So if heating oil rationing goes into effect, they'll be getting what they voted for, and they'll be getting it good and hard.  =D

This right here. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 02:53:49 PM »
From google

So I would say yes

I knew heating oil was in the diesel "family" but would have thought it was more similar to the cleaner burning kerosene. I have a torpedo heater for the shop that burns either kerosene or diesel, and there is a noticeable difference smell-wise.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 04:08:21 PM »
My heating oil guy tells me that the heating oil is getting hard to find, but it will probably be available. The cost will soar.

He says kerosene is problematic with very limited supplies in the Virginia Tidewater area.

In this area, heating oil costs about $4.80/gallon. That's pretty high, about $2 or more than last year. I bought this winter's oil over the summer. The oil guy doesn't just get a price, he actually has the oil in his tanks, so supply isn't a problem. If the price drops below what I paid, he will sell the delivery at the lower price. That's a pretty good deal other than having my money tied up for many months.

Apparently #6 bunker oil is soaring in price, so of course everything that travels by boat will go up in price, but according to liberals, the problem is actually big companies simply trying to score huge profits.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 10:16:44 PM »
Just a concept, but expect use of electric space heaters in those states to go WAY up... Is this just a way to get people to funnel cash to state utilities?
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 07:48:31 AM »
"In this area, heating oil costs about $4.80/gallon. "

Ouch, holy *expletive deleted*it ouch. I used to hyperventilate when it was $3.29 a gallon.

I miss my Mom, but I do not miss paying for her oil for that huge Victorian of hers.

Pennsylvania is also one of the big oil heating states.

What's your propane running a gallon right now?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 07:51:27 AM »
Just a concept, but expect use of electric space heaters in those states to go WAY up... Is this just a way to get people to funnel cash to state utilities?

Sure. It's just one huge *expletive deleted*ing conspiracy cabal. The ghosts of George Westinghouse, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, and Allesandro Volta laid the perfect plan to get oil prices to rise so people would consume more electrons.

[tinfoil]
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 08:56:28 AM »
And maybe they'll follow California's lead and tell people with electric cars not to plug them in . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
What we have here is failure to communicate.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2022, 04:29:16 PM »
I’m soooo happy to have a wood stove with a supply of firewood that only costs me time and some run time hours on my chainsaw.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 04:50:39 PM »
I’m soooo happy to have a wood stove with a supply of firewood that only costs me time and some run time hours on my chainsaw.

I have a heat pump and a pellet stove. The heat pump was never a fantastic way of heating my home, but it's tons better than oil.

I always wanted natural gas in my home, but several times over the nearly 30 years I've owned my home natural gas prices have spiked beyond belief.

Were I back in Pennsylvania, I'd have a coal stove and a couple of tons of anthracite.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2022, 04:57:10 PM »
I have a heat pump and a pellet stove. The heat pump was never a fantastic way of heating my home, but it's tons better than oil.

I always wanted natural gas in my home, but several times over the nearly 30 years I've owned my home natural gas prices have spiked beyond belief.

Were I back in Pennsylvania, I'd have a coal stove and a couple of tons of anthracite.

I have a heat pump as well.  The wood heat is just so much … warmer.  If I was back in PA not sure if I’d go for coal or stick with wood, assuming I had a basically free supply of wood there too.  If I had to buy the fuel either way I’d want a stove that could burn both well and buy wood when it was a better deal, and coal when it was a better deal.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2022, 08:07:13 PM »
"The wood heat is just so much … warmer."

Yep, I've been saying that about my heat pump for years, and that's why I heat primarily with my pellet stove. Warm heat.

I grew up in Pennsylvania when the gypsy moth was ripping through and the state was begging people to take trees off the mountains to prevent wildfires. Wood was basically free but for the sweat labor.

I like coal for a couple of reasons... anthracite is basically smokeless, you don't have to tend the stove nearly as often, the heat value of coal is so much higher (1 cord of white oak is about 30 million BTU, a 4x4x8 coal bin holds about 3 tons of nut coal, for about 80 million BTU, you don't run the risk of bringing in critters...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:03:02 AM by K Frame »

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2022, 11:09:05 AM »
We bought our place in 1994 in an estate sale of a deceased 84 year old bachelor farmer. He had a big recliner in the basement in front of an old wood/coal stove. He dug coal by hand right here. We can see veins of coal along the creek bank and there was once a drift mine in the SW corner of our land (thankfully nowhere near the house).
He apparently burned corn cobs, wood, coal, and walnuts for heat. There was an old oil furnace also but not sure if it had worked in recent years.
I spent 2.5 years cleaning the place up and making it nice enough for my wife to agree to live here.
Now we have a propane boiler and radiant hot water heat and a wood fireplace we can’t use until the roofers come back and fix the problems they caused. 😡

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2022, 11:12:45 AM »
What's your propane running a gallon right now?

Propane has been in a free fall since spring, it's $ 0.86 gallon. 10-27-22 at 10:12am CST.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2022, 11:16:54 AM »
Propane has been in a free fall since spring, it's $ 0.86 gallon. 10-27-22 at 10:12am CST.

That's really not a "consumer accurate" price. For the consumer, it's what it costs to get it in the tank:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_a_EPLLPA_PRS_dpgal_w.htm

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2022, 11:26:07 AM »
"He dug coal by hand right here. "

I knew some people in Pennsylvania who had exposed veins on their property that they would dig.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2022, 11:27:44 AM »
That's really not a "consumer accurate" price. For the consumer, it's what it costs to get it in the tank:

What? YOU MEAN COMPANIES WANT PROFIT ON THE WHOLESALE PRICE?

TAX THOSE GREEDY BASTARDS!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2022, 11:50:40 AM »

Depends how much you buy, the farmers buying multiple semi loads to dry corn are going to be paying a lot closer to the spot price. Home deliver to heat with, yeah double the spot price for delivery of 800 gallons.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2022, 12:29:21 PM »
The EIA numbers are regional/state averages for what home consumers are paying, not what industrial users are paying.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2022, 03:14:15 PM »
I contracted for enough LP to get to next summer (I hope!)
I think I locked in at $1.60
Last season was $1.06 iirc