Author Topic: YouTube "Context"  (Read 451 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
YouTube "Context"
« on: November 02, 2022, 09:12:04 PM »
So Youtube is suddenly inserting "context" boxes in certain videos.

I watched this Tulsi Gabbard video:

https://youtu.be/VRZQNn6VZnY

And this Jack Carr (interviewing Tulsi Gabbard) video:

https://youtu.be/H8FlnKrUj2U

They both had a "context" box explaining how democrats won in 2020 and Orange Man lost. Neither of the videos talked about election integrity, but Youtube seems to think I need to know that Joe Biden is President. The context box links to Wikipedia. I haven't poked around to see how many other videos, and whose videos, get these "fact check" notes even when the fact check has nothing to do with the video.

I didn't see the context box watching on my TV, but I went to my computer to read user comments, and the box showed up there.

Context

2020 United States Elections
Wikipedia
The 2020 United States elections were held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020. The Democratic Party’s nominee, former vice president Joe Biden, defeated incumbent Republican president Donald Trump in the presidential election. Despite losing seats in the House of Representatives, Democrats retained control of the House and gained control of the Senate.

Edit: Oh, I looked up "context on the youtube help page. It is for "videos prone to misinformation". There were zero "conspiracy theories" in either video.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9004474?hl=en
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: YouTube "Context"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 05:51:58 AM »
Tulsi is considered a misinformation peddler by the left.  You'll see their "fact checks" on most anything she puts online.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 08:58:56 AM by dogmush »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 07:12:51 AM »
Gabbard was context checked because she dared question the True Blue's bullshit and publicly excoriated them. She can no longer be trusted, thus she must wear the Scarlet Letter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 07:28:40 AM »
Think of it as a fact check. Anything that worries YouTube is at least "mostly true." At least.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 08:00:16 AM »
If I start watching a Hillary video does YT insert a context box explaining how Trump won 2016?
No I'm not taking one for the team and start watching one to find out since it's pretty much a rhetorical question.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 08:13:50 AM »
For kicks, I started randomly clicking on Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity videos. I found very few "context" insertions. The ones I did find were all the same thing - telling me Joe Biden is President.

That they're targeting Tulsi over Tucker and Sean really says something about how mad and scared they are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 03:53:23 PM »
If I start watching a Hillary video does YT insert a context box explaining how Trump won 2016?
No I'm not taking one for the team and start watching one to find out since it's pretty much a rhetorical question.

Try watching some interviews with Governor Abrams.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife