Author Topic: Trump vs DeSantis  (Read 2905 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump vs DeSantis
« on: November 06, 2022, 11:02:34 AM »
I am not looking forward to this if Trump throws his hat in the ring:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-mocks-desantis-pennsylvania-rally-ron-desanctimonious

As I've stated before, I would have been happy to see a second Trump term, for spite if nothing else, but it's time for Trump to take another role.

I can only see this harming Rs in the next primaries. I believe DeSantis will end up on top if Trump goes full bore on the junior high twitter (or truth social) thing, but likely to the detriment of both DeSantis and conservatives.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
Re: Trump vs DeSantis
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 11:10:20 AM »
I agree.  Trump set the stage and things he did were good for the country.  It's time for him to be elder statesman and help give creds to DeSantis if DeSantis chooses to run.  I fear Trump's ego won't allow that, which is a shame. :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 02:06:03 PM »
Trump's too narcissistic to bow out. I think he feels he's owed another term.

As long as he's upright, he'll run again. Where that puts the republicans in '24 I'm less sure of.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 04:40:05 PM »
Trump was a good president his first three years, and a horrible one his fourth year (obscene financial decisions).

I am sick of his crap.

I wish he would bow out.

But his bloated ego won't let him, even if it screws conservatives in the next election.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 05:11:47 PM »
Agree with all above.  As much as I like Trump I believe it’s DeSantis time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 07:49:46 PM »
The trouble is not so much with Trump as with the number of his followers that are so tired of being done over by Republicans, they won't trust anyone else. If Trump isn't nominated, they'll sit out the election, and discourage others, by doing everything they can to sabotage the nominee. It could be really ugly.

If Trump endorsed the nominee, that would help. But how much?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 08:20:45 PM »
I agree.  Trump set the stage and things he did were good for the country.  It's time for him to be elder statesman and help give creds to DeSantis if DeSantis chooses to run.  I fear Trump's ego won't allow that, which is a shame. :old:

Agreed, as well as with the "elder statesman" role. Maybe in the legislature, where he might have a positive effect.

But.... that ego....won't allow that.

Hey, Big T.  Think of the country instead of yourself !

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 09:58:13 PM »
They need to work together.  There really isn't any other way to go looking at things right now.

That said, it is two years away.  The primary candidates won't start declaring until next summer or so.  Nothing I do will change what they will do so I am not going to worry about it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 10:33:54 PM »
I will vote against trump in the primary if he runs and sit out the general regardless. I voted for his second term but I am over it. If we even make it that far, so awaiting the Vp replacement and then JB impeachment saga.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 10:52:28 PM »
I have my doubts that the R's will impeach Biden if they get the majority.  Some would, but I have my doubts the leadership will go for it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 11:24:46 PM »
I have my doubts that the R's will impeach Biden if they get the majority.  Some would, but I have my doubts the leadership will go for it.

Of course they will. All part of destroying democracy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 11:54:42 PM by Perd Hapley »

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 03:46:32 AM »
Worse case is Trump gets elected again then DeSantis and the lady from Arizona as VP follow Trump in 2028…. :old:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 06:39:24 AM »

Remove Biden and we get President Harris. Remove her and we get who or whatever she picked as VP or Pelosi. Yes it can get worse
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 06:55:54 AM »
Impeachment will be preferred and encouraged because then the dems can campaign against those nasty repubs. Nothing happens without replacing the VP first. Other option is Joe bravely dies in office. Martyrs make good campaigners, mainly because they can't make any gaffes.

A 25th amendment move admits us deplorables were right. So does Joe stepping down for health reasons.
AKA Navy Joe   

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 07:47:39 AM »
The House may impeach Biden for a show trial or in payback for what they did to Trump, but there no chance of the Republicans to get 66 seats in the Senate, so zero chance they remove Biden from office through that route.

25th amendment is even longer odds unless he strokes out or something.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 09:00:36 AM »
It seems that Trump will eventually dog on anyone in his sphere who isn't working for him.  Just something you get with him.  He is a mixed bag on results depending on who he surrounds himself with.  Regardless, I will take him over any Democrat and most/all deep state Republicans. 

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 06:52:03 PM »
The only way I'd consider voting for Trump again is if he's collaborating with Desantis.

Kim had some good thoughts on this:

https://www.kimdutoit.com/2022/11/07/memorandum/
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 07:06:49 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the scenario I consider likely:  Trump will lose the primary and run as an independent.  Then he will be as nasty to the R's as he is to anybody else that doesn't consider him 100 right about everything.  That would be bad, but I can see his ego driving him that way.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 10:08:57 PM »
Just today I heard someone mention they thought DeSantis is friendly with some deep state Republicans like Paul Ryan so they don't think he would do what many want to see in D.C.  I didn't catch any details to pass on other than that so just something to be aware of. 

I will say that there is probably no person running for office in this country that is perfect or that someone couldn't find some reason to paint them as a bad choice.  That is something to remember with Trump, DeSantis, or anyone else. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2022, 06:29:53 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the scenario I consider likely:  Trump will lose the primary and run as an independent.  Then he will be as nasty to the R's as he is to anybody else that doesn't consider him 100 right about everything.  That would be bad, but I can see his ego driving him that way.

That's as scary a scenario that I have ever seen.  Guarantees a D in the White House.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 11:45:38 AM »
Betting markets took notice of the election results
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2022, 11:48:53 AM »
Betting markets took notice of the election results

So did the stock markets. 
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
I still want trump action without trump. Maybe even DJT Junior would be okay. But no squishies. The media has torn down every decent candidate for th last forty years so we get pro wrestling candidates. Same as what the Bork and Thomas mess brought. Proving why we can’t vote ourselves out as long as the structure exists.
AKA Navy Joe   

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2022, 02:52:33 PM »

Granted, NR is not generally bullish on Trump, but I think this makes sense:
https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/

I think it is revealing that the exit polls indicated that 33 percent of Florida voters said they want to see Donald Trump president run in 2024, and 45 percent said they wanted to see DeSantis run for president in 2024.

My takeaway from all this is that Americans are tired of the circus, the freakshow, the in-your-face, all-controversy-is-good, Trump-influenced wannabes. The country’s got real problems, and they won’t be solved by table-pounding pop-culture celebrities who want to emote populist rage on Hannity. Maybe that schtick can win you a primary, and if you’re in a sufficiently Republican-leaning district or state, you’ll be okay. But the country is full of purple and light-blue states that the GOP needs to win if it wants to steer the ship of state.

Donald Trump wants to announce he’s running for president later this month? Why? What’s he got to offer?

Inflation is at 8.2 percent, the average price of gas nationwide is $3.80 a gallon, crime is rising, the waves of migrants at the border continue, and the learning loss among kids at school is real.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2022, 03:22:58 PM »
I might also suggest they want someone to talk solutions and not just talk about how bad the other candidate is or harp on some social issue that won't be solved anyway.