Author Topic: P-63 and B-17 midair Dallas  (Read 2464 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: P-63 and B-17 midair Dallas
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2023, 04:51:51 PM »
Especially one of the few remaining WW2 bombers. I wonder if the CAF is any better about maintenance than the Collings Foundation (the owners of the bomber that crashed at Bradley Airport in Connecticut) were?

When I was a member of the Arizona Wing of the CAF, we were meticulous about our maintenance.  We were the ones flying in our birds and didn't really want to crash and burn.  We had some very capable licensed A&Ps as members, and they kept us legal, supervising all the work that was done.  One of the members had actually been a flight engineer on Sentimental Journey, our B-17G, for a while shortly after WWII when it was doing photo mapping in the Philippines.  This was before it was sold as surplus by the AAF.
YMMV with other CAF wings in different areas of the country, not to mention the passage of time.  I was a member for over six years during the '80s.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2023, 04:58:43 PM »
When I was a member of the Arizona Wing of the CAF, we were meticulous about our maintenance.  We were the ones flying in our birds and didn't really want to crash and burn. 

That is usually a pretty good motivator to not cut corners, etc. When I first checked into VRC 30, a squadron in San Diego they had a base wide reputation of all being dopers. I took over the piss test coordinator role for the command and had several all hands piss tests in 6 months plus many random ones . I cleaned up a lot of the drug use by helping them exit the Navy. Those people were working on the planes I was flying out to the carriers on, that is dangerous enough without shoddy maintenance.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2023, 06:39:14 PM »
I must point out that when in a turn, as a pilot, you are concentrating on where you are going - that is, looking into the turn. That would put the B-17 just outside his field of view. The pilot of the B-17 wouldn't have seen the P-63 coming either, as the P-63 came in from about 7 or 8 o'clock.

Woody

Not to mention the closure rate was such that there wasn’t going to be any evasive action anyway on the part of either aircraft at a “last second” sighting

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2023, 05:44:07 PM »
When I was a member of the Arizona Wing of the CAF, we were meticulous about our maintenance.  We were the ones flying in our birds and didn't really want to crash and burn.  We had some very capable licensed A&Ps as members, and they kept us legal, supervising all the work that was done.  One of the members had actually been a flight engineer on Sentimental Journey, our B-17G, for a while shortly after WWII when it was doing photo mapping in the Philippines.  This was before it was sold as surplus by the AAF.
YMMV with other CAF wings in different areas of the country, not to mention the passage of time.  I was a member for over six years during the '80s.

I see Sentimental Journey flying overhead here in Mesa frequently.  I've toured her a couple of times, but never had an opportunity to fly in her (well, never had the money to expend on the opportunity).  She is a beauty to behold, and each time I meet crew members that maintain her I'm impressed by their dedication to keeping the craft in peak condition.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!