What to do with an extra ham?

Bake it
0 (0%)
Grind it up
0 (0%)
Something else (please elaborate)
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: What to do with an extra ham?  (Read 2105 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
What to do with an extra ham?
« on: December 30, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »
I went to Aldi* on Christmas Eve to get something fancy for breakfast the next day, and the shelves were almost empty because we were several days into a blizzard and they weren't getting deliveries.  But they did have spiral-sliced hams in the freezer case marked down to 85¢ per pound.  I bought a 10.5 pound shank.  It was hard not to buy 2 or 3 at that price, but I still have a little leftover ham in the deep freezer from last Christmas.  And a couple of days earlier I'd bought a big package of smoked neckbones for making pea soup and/or blackeyed peas.  I'm trying to clean out my freezer rather than fill it up! (actually making a little progress there, or at least I was)

So what to do with this ham?  I stuffed it into the freezer for now but want to use it quickly.  Two thoughts:  Wait until January or February and bake it for the church potluck.  Or, thaw it out and grind the whole thing up to make ground ham for ham balls**, and take those to multiple potlucks.  There's probably other uses for ground ham too.  Either way leaves me with a hambone for making soup.

I think baking it first and then grinding the leftovers will dry it out too much.  The ham is fully cooked, but a lot of salty juice squeezes out when you bake them.

* Aldi is a discount grocery store that sells mostly private-label goods rather than name brands.  It's a national chain, but does not have stores in all areas of the country.  They are owned by the same company as Trader Joe's.

** Seems to be an Iowa thing.  I've never had them before but they look good: https://therecipecritic.com/ham-balls/  Most recipes call for a can of condensed tomato soup in the sauce instead of ketchup.
"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
Re: What to do with an extra ham?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 02:49:37 PM »
Ham sandwiches are always a good answer.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »
Those Aldi shank hams are great. I just fixed one for Christmas Day. Should be already cooked but they come with a glaze packet and instructions for “cooking” which is basically heating up and finishing with the glaze. I picked up a couple right after Easter for .69 per pound
Here’s what I did…
Thaw in fridge and throw away the glaze packet.
Lightly paint it all over with yellow mustard then dust all sides with a basic pork dry rub seasoning.
Prepare your smoker or charcoal grill or whatever to do a slow smoke around 250 degrees for about 3-4 hours depending on size and turning at least 3 times.
Take it out and let it rest a bit then cut your spiral slices off. Leave plenty of meat on the bone.
The sliced ham is awesome but the shank and generous attached portions go in a slow cooker with 6 cups of water, rinsed dried beans, onion, celery, carrots, garlic and seasonings. 6 hours on high until the meat falls off the bone and you will have the best ham and bean stew you ever et.
I fixed it but I can’t help you with the seasonings. My wife “the spice queen” with a pantry dedicated to seasoning and herbs did that part. (She is 9 days post op with a new knee but still took charge of the season part)
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:09:54 AM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 06:13:41 PM »
When I get a good deal on a precooked ham, I bone it out and freeze it in 1-2# packages.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 08:11:06 AM »
Ham balls, ham croquettes, ham loaf, ham patties, ham salad, ham casserole, ham and cheese quiche, ham pasties, ham and noodle bake, ham and cheese lasagna, ham and bean soup... the list goes on and on.

My personal favorites are ham loaf and ham salad.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 10:39:12 AM »
My favorites are Mac and Cheese with ham or scalloped potatoes and ham.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 11:30:47 AM »
I just now had a ham and egg scramble, heavy on the ham, with some of my leftover Christmas Eve ham.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 11:43:28 AM »
Just watch the power usage to their shack and hold the ladder for them when they are stringing up their new antenna. They don’t need much beyond that.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 11:50:14 PM »
Just watch the power usage to their shack and hold the ladder for them when they are stringing up their new antenna. They don’t need much beyond that.

That would be the ham shack, then?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 08:43:52 AM »
We use the ham bone and scraps to make soup beans and cornbread.  Add a bag of white navy beans into a pot with the ham bone and scraps and boil til beans are soft.  Chop some onion, pour beans and ham over some cornbread and add some chopped onions on top. Chow down and take a Gas-X about an hour later.

Funny story but when we had all the kids in the house my ex wife would make a big pot of those beans and we’d see who had the worse gas later in the eve….lmao.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 02:10:50 PM »
Ham biscuits.  Especially country ham biscuits, although I don't think that's the kind of ham you're talking about.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 10:44:46 PM »
My favorites are Mac and Cheese with ham or scalloped potatoes and ham.

This
Quick and easy
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes