Author Topic: Sweet potato pie  (Read 1655 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Sweet potato pie
« on: November 22, 2022, 09:24:22 PM »
I had a big can of "yams" in light syrup in the pantry that I bought at the start of covid because it seemed like a good idea at the time.  It's the same size as a 28 oz can of tomatoes.  I decided to use it up.  I looked at lots of sweet potato pie recipes and mashed 'em up with a pumpkin pie recipe that I like, and I came up with this:

Code: [Select]
Sweet Potato Pie
1 deep 9" pie shell
1 (29 oz) can yams in light syrup, drained
1 cup Half-n-half
2 tbsp butter
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp white pepper (heaping 1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp mace
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 450.  Mash sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices in a large saucepan.
Add H&H and blend with a stick blender until smooth.  Heat on medium-low while stirring constantly with a fork or whisk
until mixture is hot but not yet starting to set.  Pour into pie shell and place in the oven.  Turn oven down to 350 and
bake about 30 minutes until filling just starts to puff in the middle.  A small sharp knife inserted near the center
should come out clean.

I made it tonight.  The filling tasted good when I cleaned the pan.  The pie came out looking perfect.  I didn't test it with a knife because it was just barely jiggly when I checked it and the top was starting to crack just a little, so I didn't see a need in making a scar.  We cut it while it was still warm and the slices fell apart; it should firm up some when it cools.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, most SP pies that I've eaten were too thick and pasty, and this one is more custardy.  It's not going to last until Thanksgiving, but that's okay, Wife wants to buy a Costco pumpkin pie anyway.
"It's good, though..."