Author Topic: An electric - truck?  (Read 2248 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: An electric - truck?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2022, 08:33:30 PM »
From an environment POV, I'm not even convinced EVs are a straight win. Depending on whose analysis you believe, the breakeven point is several years at least, up to 5 years. And I don't believe these analyses because most of my life I drove cars 20+ years old. I think it's more likely by far that some applications for EVs are a slam-dunk and others not. With proper market management, these would be discovered by the market. This is basically the problem with command economic decisions...

Anyway, even assuming that EVs replacing ICE is always a good thing, an intelligent transition to a larger proportion of electric vehicles COULD be done (I don't think 100% would ever make sense. I don't know what makes people so starry eyed about any technology to force 100% adoption). However, as predictable it is NOT being done intelligently. You would start by requiring bumping up electric codes meaning an extra 50A or 100A service would be included for dwellings with garages or parking. Then you would map out a plan to upgrade the residential grid, improve the charging network, and increase and diversify the power sources, probably something to the tune of building dozens of new power plants (nuclear is the only thing that would make sense). None of that happens fast but with proper promotion of the cars themselves, you could achieve detectable progress in 10 years and substantial shift in the fleet in 20-50. This isn't happening. What's happening is almost nonsense.

First of all, if the government really cared about the environment they wouldn't have done everything possible to destroy the compact and fuel efficient car market in the first place. They wouldn't have spent decades dismantling our rail infrastructure, leaving us as the only nation in the world with no practical alternative to air and car transport. If they cared one tiny bit about the environment or carbon emissions they wouldn't completely ignore bicycle infrastructure and would scale back the manic obsession with road-building (1 person biking is probably worth 10 people switching to EVs for climate). They would be pushing nuclear and incentivizing telecommuting. I think all of those things by themselves could have a bigger impact on the climate that switching to electric vehicles. But all of those things require real changes to be made to the grift. America cannot innovate anymore. In 2022, we can't do anything besides what we already doing. Electric cars are the perfect thing because they slot in without really changing anything. It took a while to get the legacy car companies onboard but now that we have established a proper corruption/fascism framework between the auto industry and government incentives and all the correct people can get rich, the script is already written and we will have electric cars and like them.

Due to demand elasticity, switching to electric cars will inevitably INCREASE driving if driving electric cars is really cheaper, and with the marginal improvement of an electric vehicle over ICE vehicles being so small to start with, EVs might make no difference at all. Which is a perfect way to appear serious while keeping the grift moving. It's something that can be done as smoke and mirrors to avoid making real changes, in a way that can be done without ticking off industrial donors or rocking the boat all that much.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 08:46:23 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2022, 10:04:17 PM »
There is no way in hell the US electric grid will support mass electrification of the vehicle fleet in 10 or even 20 years.

A very central factor standing in the way is that the ones demanding it are the same idiots that will be protesting every step of the way of the upgrades and expansion because they are smoothbrained watermelons.

Notice that you already have states begging the very small EV owner population to not charge their cars.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2022, 10:24:27 PM »
There is no way in hell the US electric grid will support mass electrification of the vehicle fleet in 10 or even 20 years.

A very central factor standing in the way is that the ones demanding it are the same idiots that will be protesting every step of the way of the upgrades and expansion because they are smoothbrained watermelons.

Notice that you already have states begging the very small EV owner population to not charge their cars.

Don't forget these same people have been pushing for all electric heating in homes.
Seeing reports demand for electricity for electric heating is causing issues in some areas right now. 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2023, 12:29:53 AM »
90% of the remaining 10% who actually do use their truck for productive work, would be better off with a van.

I tried that for a while.  In addition to a beater standard cab F250 long bed, I bought a beater E350 cargo van.  Old cargo vans are (or at least were) surprisingly affordable.

I liked that things in the "bed" were secure from petty theft in my van, that was nice.  But getting HVAC equipment in and out of the van was a real hassle.  Just no room to maneuver, even with the tools reasonable well organized on shelves.  Trying to slide and shimmy big condensing units in and out - not fun.  Also, rear viability was very poor.  I ended up settling on an extended cab F250 long bed, which works well.  My install tools fit in the cab behind the seat, and there's enough room in the bed to easily deal with equipment.  The bed is taller than the van floor, which is not great, but I fixed that with a tommy gate.

I didn't tow anything significant with the van, but judging by the brakes, suspension and whatnot I would have expected it to work fine.  Engine was the same anemic 5.4L that my pickup has.

I sold the van off.  Not better than a pickup for HVAC install work, IMO.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2023, 01:18:54 AM »
I wonder if anyone has considered a hybrid drag car? Start with the super torquey wheel hub motors, then, after off the line, hit the clutch for the nitro...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2023, 09:26:27 AM »
I wonder if anyone has considered a hybrid drag car? Start with the super torquey wheel hub motors, then, after off the line, hit the clutch for the nitro...

I can see it now. The Don Garlits signature edition Prius ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2023, 04:07:47 PM »
I can see it now. The Don Garlits signature edition Prius ...

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nhra/a39477764/at-age-90-big-daddy-don-garlits-still-plugged-into-electric-dragster/

Nice guy, Don. Met him several times. At the Southern Nationals when my dad worked for WYNN's and they sponsored him, and at his shop in Florida. Had an autographed 8x10 of when his clutch blew and took half his right foot off (image seen below).

Click for full size
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!