Author Topic: Not enough 18 year olds being produced  (Read 1156 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Not enough 18 year olds being produced
« on: November 26, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/23428166/college-enrollment-population-education-crash

I am guessing this will also be tying into our discussion on young people joining the military.  A shrinking pool of high school graduates is coming.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Not enough 18 year olds being produced
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 04:16:34 PM »
Terry drops this on the table merely as a premise without offering an opinion on it:

Life's too easy for "kids" nowadays.

Here's another one:

War culls the brightest and most fit "kids" out of the population.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
Terry drops this on the table merely as a premise without offering an opinion on it:

Here's another one:

As old as I am, I still give a **** about whomever takes over when my generation has passed. Somehow, I think it'll still bother me when I'm on the other side ...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 12:22:46 AM »
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/23428166/college-enrollment-population-education-crash

I am guessing this will also be tying into our discussion on young people joining the military.  A shrinking pool of high school graduates is coming.

The extent to which colleges are recruiting my daughter has been very surprising.  Granted, she’s got the grades, the leadership, yada yada they all want.  But even still, schools I’d have never thought would come knocking have done so.  Vanderbilt.  Notre Dame.  Plus tons of small private schools.  Sometimes with unrequested scholarship offers.  And not small ones.  All before even applying.

I think the next 10 years will probably see a big winnowing of colleges, and especially the smaller, less selective private liberal arts schools.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 04:38:16 AM »
I'm a little worried about C.W.Post College of Long Island University on the "Gold Coast" of Long Island.. Three hundred and thirty acres of  wooded campus.  You know how much that's worth as a subdivision if they can get domestic water and sewer in there?

Money talks.  I'm informed that it is now known as a party school for the wealthy.  I started there in the second year of its existence, while it was still "professional."  Good engineering department.  Interestingly, my diploma is in Latin... no kidding.  Every word is Latin.  Right there across the top, it says

VNIVERSITAS LONGINSVLANAE

I actually had trouble with that once, applying for a job, since nobody could read it.  I told them to find an RC Priest, but then said to just call the Registrar for confirmation.  They did, problem solved.  They did have another problem in that the Registrar wanted to know my "sosh", but I went there before "soshes" were used and they had to do a little paper search on me to confirm my status as a grad-ji -et and was duly edge you catered.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:03:04 AM by 230RN »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 10:30:35 AM »
To this day I remember my UW student ID number issued in the late 70s.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »
I think the next 10 years will probably see a big winnowing of colleges, and especially the smaller, less selective private liberal arts schools.
That would be a good thing.  At least, it would force colleges to focus more on costs control.  I have heard many big universities are nearly as wasteful as BigGov. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 01:29:26 PM »
I'm a little worried about C.W.Post College of Long Island University on the "Gold Coast" of Long Island.. Three hundred and thirty acres of  wooded campus.  You know how much that's worth as a subdivision if they can get domestic water and sewer in there?

Is that associated or affiliated with Post University in Connecticut?

And I didn't know (until I just read it) that C.W. Post College was founded by the founder of the Post cereal company.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »
Yes, Mister Cereal Wrangler Post, Jr.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 03:44:00 PM »
Yes, Mister Cereal Wrangler Post, Jr.

Is that sorta like Mr BananaGrabber?

https://youtu.be/_kfaRKdisfQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 04:16:04 PM »
  Recently a young lady I used to work with became unattached from the National Guard, she didn't want to - but she would not get the cv1984 injection.
   I recently did an informal survey of the young folks at work, out of ten guys, only one has registered for the draft and would go - the rest did not even know they're supposed to register and said they would only join if we were being invaded by a foreign military ...
Knowing the kids I work with pretty good ( kids equal 18 to 30 ) they barf at the politically correct nonsense coming from the modern military
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 04:32:06 PM »
Is that associated or affiliated with Post University in Connecticut?

I don't know about that one.

And I didn't know (until I just read it) that C.W. Post College was founded by the founder of the Post cereal company.

True.  The campus was the residence of C. W. Post and we students were known as "Post Toasties." The enormous property was donated to Long Island University for a new campus.

The campus had a lot of interesting things related to its being a residence of  the rich. There was a dollhouse for Marjorie Merriweather Post  which was about 3/4 scale throughout, including even the specially-made sink fixtures and stove, etc. in the tiny kitchen.  I remember feeling like some kind of giant in it.  Since i was among the first students there, before they started locking things up, my GF and I could wander around through it.  They also had a tower for some reason which we climbed up and made out at the top, and an underground pistol range.  They also had an outdoor range with a railroad tie backstop, and I don't know why they had both.  The outdoor one might have been for archery; I don't remember.

The main building had a great staircase worthy of the movies and the fencing club would have mock duels up and down the stairs --again before the administration started cracking down on  that kind of fun stuff.  I got into fencing a little bit, but it really wasn't my cup of tea.

With such a ritzy area (the "Gold Coast" or North Shore of Long Island), it might not be surprising that my English teacher was "Winnie" (Winthrop) Palmer of the Colgate-Palmolive-Peet business conglomerate.  She lived on an estate not far from the campus in Oyster Bay.  Her uniformed Chauffeur would drive her to the classes and wait around for her to be done with her class, then drive her home again.

"We" had one of the first business computers, an IBM 1620, on which I cut my teeth with Fortran.  Funny story about that, but it will wait for another time.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Lest ye get the wrong Winthrop Palmer):
https://library.syracuse.edu/digital/guides/print/palmer_w_prt.htm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:24:31 PM by 230RN »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 05:09:37 PM »
To this day I remember my UW student ID number issued in the late 70s.

Despite the admonition that your Social Security number should NOT be used for "identification purposes", this rather large college in southern IL-ANNOY used that for the student IDs in the early to mid-70s.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 10:49:24 PM »
Despite the admonition that your Social Security number should NOT be used for "identification purposes", this rather large college in southern IL-ANNOY used that for the student IDs in the early to mid-70s.  :facepalm:

Meanwhile the DoD has been using it for enlisted service numbers for the last... 50 years?  SSN on my dog tags.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 11:11:40 PM »
Meanwhile the DoD has been using it for enlisted service numbers for the last... 50 years?  SSN on my dog tags.

When I was a kid, I worked at Walmart.  We clocked in an out using a barcode on the back of our name badges.  A simple 3 of 9 encoding.

You guessed it, SSN.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2022, 05:47:26 PM »
Enlisted in 76, SSN was my ID and is on my dog tags.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 06:13:10 PM »

U of IL, at Urbana.  I wonder if they ever stopped.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »

The transition was made in 1968. Orders being cut while I was in 'Nam in '68 carried both our service number and our SSA number.

I enlisted in 1966. Still used just service numbers then, and I still remember mine.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 03:28:15 PM »
Actually, in many past discussions elsewhere of the "sosh," a number of people blamed the military for originally making the number "go public."

This, despite the fact that my original SSA card had "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES" in a prominent red arc over the top of the card. (I can't find an on-line example of one like that, but I distinctly remember it.)

I did not get a "sosh" until I got a job at the age of 16(?) in a supermarket.  I remember my mother telling me that I was now "grown up."  I didn't even realize they were issued at birth until Son1 was born (late 1960s) and it was it on the paperwork. I was kind of shocked at that.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 04:08:37 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2022, 03:58:29 PM »
DOD stopped using the SSN for I'd purposes 10 or so years ago.

We all have a DODID number now.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 04:18:04 PM »
DOD stopped using the SSN for I'd purposes 10 or so years ago.

We all have a DODID number now.

And the VA can't be bothered dealing with three generations of service numbers, so they use the last four of the SSAN with the date of birth to identify patients.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 04:31:29 PM »
My original SSN card, note NOT FOR ID at bottom-right corner:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 08:18:46 AM »
To be fair, Social Security Cards are still not valid forms of ID.  I don't know of anywhere where you can walk up and spit out a SSN and they will believe you are that person without some kind of corroborating document.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
Here is another thought: It'll take 18 years to even begin to produce more eighteen year old kids. It's that growing up time delay between conception and maturation thing. Unless, of course, you know the way to Kamino and can travel at the speed of light squared ... :facepalm:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 12:01:53 PM »
Obvious solution.  If you're old enough to get a sex change, you're old enough to serve in the military
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams