Author Topic: Pantum printers?  (Read 1120 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Pantum printers?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2022, 06:59:59 PM »
PS: My HP Laserjet weighs as much as a laser equipped jet!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2022, 08:59:37 PM »
Update: I bought a Canon MP236n, which is a B&W laser multi-function device that prints, scans, copies, faxes, allows USB and Ethernet connections, and can do Apple Airprint. It arrived a couple of days ago, I have it set up, and it works okay. I'm not at all happy about the output catcher, though. It's not a tray -- it's a flimsy little tongue that pulls out of the front of the machine. Canon was clearly trying for a minimal footprint with this thing, which I think was 9and is) foolish. I suspect that the vast majority of people who are going to buy a laser multi-function device are not likely to push in the paper catcher, remove the paper from the feed tray, and fold the feed tray into the machine between prints.

But what do I know?

Anyhoo, the price was decent from Amazon, and it prints. Scan quality isn't as good as that H-P machine that dies, and Canon's scanning software is vastly inferior to the H-P software. But ... it get's the job done.

I also called several H-P repair places in the area, and the consensus is that the H-P is toast. The prevailing wisdom is that IF it can be repaired, the replacement parts and labor will be considerably more expensive than a new printer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2022, 12:30:52 AM »
I bought a $125 kit for mine that had a fuser and a bunch of other wearing parts, grabbed my tool kit, and ripped into her after watching several YouTube tutorials. I got the printer because it was squeaking and streaking the pages it printed. Once rebuilt, it has worked great ever since.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:51:00 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2022, 02:23:00 AM »
I bought a $125 kit for mine that had a fuser and a bunch of other wearing parts, grabbed my tool kit, and ripped into her after watching several YouTube tutorials. I got the printer because it was squeaking and stinking and streaking the pages it printed. Once rebuilt, it has worked great ever since.

I'll look into parts kits, but the problem with mine is that the circuit board is probably fried. If I had a schematic and if I were a qualified board-level technician I could test each capacitor and replace the ones that got fried ... but I don't have a schematic, and if I did I wouldn't know what to do with it.

If I could luck out and find one that has been scrapped due to old age, that would be copacetic.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2022, 08:10:25 AM »
I'll look into parts kits, but the problem with mine is that the circuit board is probably fried. If I had a schematic and if I were a qualified board-level technician I could test each capacitor and replace the ones that got fried ... but I don't have a schematic, and if I did I wouldn't know what to do with it.

No, just get a replacement board.

G00gle up the Interwebs, to see if there's an actual service manual out there.  That would help a lot.  parts lists, test procedures, replacement procedures, that kind of stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2022, 01:12:08 PM »
No, just get a replacement board.

G00gle up the Interwebs, to see if there's an actual service manual out there.  That would help a lot.  parts lists, test procedures, replacement procedures, that kind of stuff.

Looks like there are three boards inside: the engine (power?) controller board, the laser controller board, and the fax controller board.

Given that the problem was caused by a transient 240-volt current, and the engine controller boards come in 110-volt and 220-volt variants and the machine now will not even power up -- would the likely candidate be the engine (power) controller board?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2022, 01:15:26 PM »
Looks like there are three boards inside: the engine (power?) controller board, the laser controller board, and the fax controller board.

Given that the problem was caused by a transient 240-volt current, and the engine controller boards come in 110-volt and 220-volt variants and the machine now will not even power up -- would the likely candidate be the engine (power) controller board?

To which board does the incoming power connect?  Check that board first.  Look for blown fuses if it has fuses, burnt traces and/or components.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2022, 02:44:30 PM »
Power cord connects to the engine controller board. That's why I think that's what to look at first.

What does a burned trace look like?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »
Power cord connects to the engine controller board. That's why I think that's what to look at first.

What does a burned trace look like?

A burned circuit board trace is usually pretty obvious.  You will probably recognize it as soon as you see it, even if you have never seen one before.
A burned trace will look dark or even black compared to other traces on the board.  That usually indicates overcurrent heating the trace.  If the overcurrent was really bad, the trace can lift from the board and even burn apart in some cases.  Google will turn up pictures of burned traces.  Many are pretty severe, showing lots of damage to circuit boards.
Burned traces also often exude an electrical burning odor long after they have cooled.  They can really stink.
If you are unsure, take a picture of anything that you think looks suspicious and post it here.  There are several of us that can provide guidance about a course of action.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2022, 04:40:05 PM »
I found a place that can get me an "engine" (power supply) board for $40 plus shipping. Considering what these printer seem to be worth even on the used market, I'm willing to risk $50 to see if I can get it running again. The part has been ordered and should be here Monday or Tuesday.

I'll see if I can get a decent photo of the old board when I replace it.