Author Topic: Unrest in China  (Read 874 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Unrest in China
« on: November 27, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »
Looks like many in China are fed up over COVID lock downs and they've hits the streets in protest. The protests are spreading and many are now openly criticizing Xi Jinping and in some cases calling for his removal and even that of the communist party. Just mere criticism of him or the party can get you thrown into prison.
Now occurring in many major cities.

Developing story, stay tune. Could get hairy over there.

Live updates at the link

Live China Covid protests spread to major cities
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63776816

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Unrest in China
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 07:03:19 PM »
They're saying the trigger was a apartment building fire in Urumqi  in which they say many were killed due to people being locked in their apartments they say due to COVID lock downs.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 07:20:40 PM »
A Chinese civil war.   That's straight up "may you live in interesting times"
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 09:00:26 PM »
Yeah, how'd that work out for Hong Kong? Or Tianamen square?  If things get really bad it's time to invade Taiwan and any other island nations over there that get uppity. Keep the young men busy and be a dandy mechanism to really crack down.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 09:13:21 PM »
Well, there goes the price of gas shooting up. Probably a lot more things.

Let's go Xi!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 09:29:12 PM »
I've heard that the Chicoms spend more money on internal security than their military.  The Chinese civilians have no guns.  They have no chance.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 11:18:22 PM »
Can we send Biden over there to unify them? Please?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 07:28:37 AM »
Well, there goes the price of gas shooting up. Probably a lot more things.

Let's go Xi!

Maybe not. Oil is responding as if this is a threat to stability of China's demand, which is causing the price to drop. China is an oil consumer, not a producer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 09:02:56 AM »
Guess the protests are by extreme far right MAGA facists
Any of this look familiar?

BBC News has seen examples of some images with lists of demands being sent around social media. Some of the demands include calls to:

Abolish pandemic monitoring measures such as mandatory mass testing and digital health codes for work and travel

Reverse the policy of closing schools, restaurants, shops or other businesses in the name of preventing Covid spreading

Correctly publicize the danger of the virus "without exaggeration or alarmist talk"

Apologise for "unreasonable" and "unscientific" epidemic prevention strategies

Investigate and prosecute local government officials, testing companies and others involved in Covid restrictions over allegations of corruption, negligence and abuse of power
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63776816?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6384a40ce7e8f473cfbfbd48%26What%20demands%20are%20circulating%20on%20social%20media%3F%262022-11-28T13%3A40%3A41.832Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:acde25ba-2c3f-4c2f-a743-f83bc42737e5&pinned_post_asset_id=6384a40ce7e8f473cfbfbd48&pinned_post_type=share
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 07:37:10 PM »
Maybe not. Oil is responding as if this is a threat to stability of China's demand, which is causing the price to drop. China is an oil consumer, not a producer.

I was thinking just social unrest and Chinese military possibly being activated.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 03:23:15 PM »
Mrgunsngear was posting updates.  Someone posted video of Chinese armor on the move.  Supposedly they were being pre-positioned outside major protest areas.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »
I expect the CCP will quash the protests fairly soon.  Once they get tired of the bad press, the goon squads will go to work.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 04:03:54 PM »
The only way I can imagine a change happening is if the military or other group gets fed up and breaks with the Govt.  Hopefully, whatever happens will not involve a bunch of new casualties. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 09:20:32 AM »
China blinked
Almost shocked

Dozens of districts in Shanghai and Guangzhou, cities that have seen rising cases, were released from lockdown measures on Thursday.

The country's vice-premier also announced that the country was facing a "new situation".

Or rather the virus blinked. SPIN!

It comes as one of China's most senior pandemic officials, vice-premier Sun Chunlan, said the virus' ability to cause disease was weakening.

So the virus suddenly got weaker  :rofl:

China signals ease in Covid policy after mass protests
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-63805188
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 09:32:33 AM »
Honestly, I see few if any talking about COVID deaths anymore.  At some point (in 2021?), they switched over to tracking "cases" instead. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 09:34:57 AM »
Honestly, I see few if any talking about COVID deaths anymore.  At some point (in 2021?), they switched over to tracking "cases" instead.

Jan 20 2021.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 08:56:48 PM »
Unrest because of stuff like this:  https://twitter.com/songpinganq/status/1598344121176948742?s=61&t=gUVYO13tJTUiAePE8UVFYQ

Try that here at home and it may not bode well….

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 09:34:41 PM »
Not that I doubt that the CCP would do exactly that, but that’s also the exact thing they’d want to prevent getting in the wild.  It looks kinda staged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 01:59:42 PM »
Gee, thanks Apple

Protests in China have attracted international attention as the greatest challenge of President Xi Jinping’s premiership and a major knock to the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) longstanding authority.

But their spread within China was partially hobbled by a key change in Apple’s AirDrop feature, launched just weeks before the unrest.

AirDrop, which allows users to share content between Apple devices, has become an important tool in protestors’ efforts to circumvent authoritarian censorship regimes over recent years.
    […]
    However, it was limited earlier this month, when a Nov. 9 update to Apple’s global operating system, iOS 16.1.1, included an additional AirDrop feature applying only to iPhones sold in mainland China.

Apple’s CEO was eager to answer reporter’s questions about China & protests (JUST KIDDING!)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/12/02/john-haywards-thread-exposes-the-elites-endgame-with-evs-and-its-not-about-saving-the-planet/
- Calvin and Hobbes