Author Topic: Illinois Dems say they have the votes for an "assault" weapons ban  (Read 1254 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Bill already on the table

The measure would end the sale of assault weapons immediately and allow* registration of existing weapons. It also would prevent future sales of ammunition magazines holding more than 10 rounds and tighten regulations to prohibit “rapid-fire devices” that turn firearms that fire one shot per trigger pull into fully automatic weapons.

It also would:

Raise eligibility for a state firearm owner identification card to 21 for most state residents.
        Extend the duration of a firearm restraining order from six months to one year, including renewed restraining orders.

*Actually require

Also

A separate bill is aimed at encouraging junk lawsuits against gun makers and sellers; seeking to hold them financially responsible for the actions of criminals by allowing lawsuits based on claims of “deceptive marketing practices.”

IL Dems say they've got the votes for a gun ban
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/12/01/il-dems-say-theyve-got-the-votes-for-a-gun-ban-n64888

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Illinois Dems say they have the votes for an "assault" weapons ban
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »
Let the lawsuits begin.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:00:51 PM »
Am I the only one that assumed Illinois already had some form of a so called “Assault Weapons” ban?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 08:42:16 AM »
Am I the only one that assumed Illinois already had some form of a so called “Assault Weapons” ban?
I think it only covered Cook County - meaning Chicago and parts of suburbia. But I haven't lived there since 1979 and haven't kept up with Illinois' political buffoonery.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 08:47:41 AM »

I think it only covered Cook County - meaning Chicago and parts of suburbia. But I haven't lived there since 1979 and haven't kept up with Illinois' political buffoonery.

Yep.
The recent 4th of July parade shooter had bought a S&W AR in IL after his dad had co-signed his FOID card.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 12:08:10 AM »
Currently a ban on class III full auto and suppressors
No current ban on the standard semi autos or standard capacity mags.
The dems are feeling emboldened by their recent gains on top of the already supermajority and led by Chicago superlibs.
Lawsuits or not, enforcement will be tough.
They’ll try anything. Nothing to lose but taxpayers money.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 10:20:19 AM »
Bill advancing

The legislation would make it illegal to manufacture, deliver, sell or purchase any assault weapon in the state of Illinois. It would also make it illegal to possess such a weapon 300 days after the final passage of the bill.

A full list of weapons classified as “assault weapons” can be found within the text of the bill.

The bill also makes it illegal to own, purchase or possess .50 caliber rifles and cartridges, but there is language in the bill that allows owners who currently have such weapons to keep them.

Individuals who already own weapons that fall under the “assault weapons” definition must register those guns with the Illinois State Police between 80 and 300 days after final passage of the bill. A $25 fee will also be assessed.

Residents also many not purchase or possess magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds, and the bill also bans the sale or purchase of “switches,” which can increase a weapon’s rate of fire.

Those switches are technically already banned under federal law.

Note how you can keep your 50 but the bill makes it illegal to purchase or even possess 50 ammo basically turning it into a paperweight.

Widens who can trigger a Red Flag

If an individual could potentially be required to turn over weapons or be prohibited from purchasing or owning weapons, under terms of the state’s “red flag” laws, then prosecutors can now act as “friends of the court” within those processes.

Previously, only family members or law enforcement agents could utilize “red flag” laws to compel turnover of, or prevent the sale of, weapons
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hearings-for-illinois-proposed-assault-weapons-ban-begin-monday-heres-what-the-bill-says/ar-AA15bnig

IL gun and mag ban bill on the move
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/12/12/il-gun-and-mag-ban-bill-on-the-move-n65182
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 09:41:29 PM »
Things got quiet all of a sudden bill wise and this may be why
This guy is reporting the bill may be stalled and they may not even vote on it possibly because of the threat of courts overturning it and lawsuits.

Wait… They may NOT EVEN VOTE on the ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN after all?… What’s going on here?…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxvIEi959Io
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 01:15:57 AM »
Why pass it now and have it declared void for eternity? Why not wait until a few more Court appointments are made by the Juggernaut Government.

Long game, friends... long game.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 01:47:43 PM »
Complete turn around in the past 24hrs. They attached it to another bill and they're now saying the bill it may pass today

ATTENTION! Assault Weapons & Magazine Ban Being RUSHED Through In Illinois!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfCPJKJB_qw
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 02:34:22 PM »
Illinois lawmakers rushing to impose sweeping new infringements on the right to keep and bear arms took a major step towards getting a gun ban bill to the desk of Gov. J.B. Pritzker early Friday morning. Just after midnight the “Protect Illinois Communities Act” was approved on a 64-43 vote, sending the bill to the state Senate where lawmakers are expected to swiftly consider the anti-civil rights legislation before sending it to Pritzker for his approval.
Illinois House passes "assault weapons ban" as gun owners promise lawsuit
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/01/06/illinois-house-passes-assault-weapons-ban-as-gun-owners-promise-lawsuit-n65895
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 03:57:53 PM »
Why pass it now and have it declared void for eternity?

No, they can just pass it again after the democrats get a few more Supreme Court appointments and overturn Bruen.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 09:10:03 PM »
The bill they stuck it in is an Amusement Park Bill concerning slides.
Yes you read that right  :facepalm:

Assault Weapons Ban PASSED...in Amusement Park Bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5b7O2zMpro
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 07:27:20 PM »
The legislation would make it illegal to manufacture, deliver, sell or purchase any assault weapon in the state of Illinois. It would also make it illegal to possess such a weapon 300 days after the final passage of the bill.

Individuals who already own weapons that fall under the “assault weapons” definition must register those guns with the Illinois State Police between 80 and 300 days after final passage of the bill. A $25 fee will also be assessed.

If I can't own it after 300 days, and I've got 300 days to register it, why in the hell would I register it?

Oh, and the bill itself and the way it was passed is BS.

This attachment of a bill to another should not be allowed at any level.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 07:58:05 AM »
Unless enough State Senates get cold feet, reading highly unlikely, on this the Amusement Park Bill will be on the gov's desk this week.
Close the Amusement Park Slide Loophole!
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2023, 10:32:37 AM »
Unexpected trouble in the Senate.

The Senate Pres added an amendment that has some upset.

The amendment removes language that would require current owners of assault weapons to report to the state police the serial numbers of the weapons they would be allowed to keep under a grandfather clause.

"Frankly, the amendment is taking away the real teeth to the bill. So an assault weapons ban that has no way of being enforced isn't really going to do very much," said Lauren Harper, the Illinois legislative lead with Moms Demand Action.

"We've been speed dating senators going door to door and knocking on their doors and talking to them what we really need in the bill. We want to see serialization and registration put back into the bill," Harper said.

The group is also concerned the law effective date could be delayed allowing people time to stockpile weapons that would become illegal

"Speed dating"  :facepalm: :rofl:

IL Senate president seeks to remove key component to state's proposed assault weapons ban
https://abc7chicago.com/protect-illinois-communities-act-assault-weapons-ban-2023-highland-park-parade-shooting/12674954/

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 06:26:13 PM »
Now they're fighting over which version  [popcorn]

In the deep blue Land of Lincoln, a majority of legislators blindly support imposing more gun control on the little people. As if generations of gun control in Chicago had magically transformed it into it a tranquil utopia (with “only” 736 homicides in 2022). Now, the most radical advocates of victim disarmament have threatened to withhold their support from the latest gun control package that was supposed to have all the votes needed for passage.

Meanwhile, the current legislative session ends at noon on Wednesday. If one gun control measure or another hasn’t passed by then, the sponsors will have to start from scratch in the new session, which means passage will be delayed for months.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-control-proponents-fight-over-versions-of-illinois-gun-magazine-ban-bill-as-the-clock-runs-down/

Will Democrat infighting derail proposed Illinois "assault weapons" ban?
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/01/09/will-democrat-infighting-derail-proposed-illinois-assault-weapons-ban-n65961
- Calvin and Hobbes