Author Topic: The famed Biden Name...  (Read 956 times)

dogmush

• friend
The famed Biden Name...
« on: June 29, 2023, 08:24:06 AM »
So I've seen several stories today that Hunter Biden settled out court on his bastard's child support payments, and the settlement includes the provision that his daughter may not use the Biden surname.  I guess the mother had petitioned the court to change the kids name after the DNA results came back.

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-hunter-biden-settles-with-baby-mama-under-condition-child-cant-use-his-last-name

My question for the more legally minded folks here:  Can an agreement made with her mother, while she was a minor be held binding on the child when she reaches adulthood?  The girl didn't agree to any of this, and while she will presumably benefit from the $5k/month during her childhood, once she turns 18 is this in any way enforceable on her?  Or can she change her name to help advertise her OnlyFans page in 18 or so years?

That is assuming, of course, she wants any connection at all to that family once she's an adult.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The famed Biden Name...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 09:01:52 AM »
I would think the agreement is binding on the mother, not the child.  I also assume there was some extra money offered to secure that agreement.  The question (in my mind) is whether there would be any further money being provided after the child turns 18.  I think that is when most child support stops. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: The famed Biden Name...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 07:47:44 AM »
. . . My question for the more legally minded folks here:  Can an agreement made with her mother, while she was a minor be held binding on the child when she reaches adulthood?  . . .
I don't think that can happen here in the USA - just like minors can't enter into binding contracts, upon adulthood they can't be bound by agreements someone else signed. (Things may be different in parts of Europe with things like inherited titles in play, but even there handing down things like debts has become contentious.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain