Author Topic: Looks like they gave Willow the woke treatment and some Indiana Jones news  (Read 3751 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Looks like they gave Willow the woke treatment and some Indiana Jones news
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2022, 07:47:59 AM »
The new Snow White movie.
So as to not offend there will be no dwarfs and no toxic prince

ALISON BOSHOFF: No dwarfs. No Prince. Disney's new Snow White is a bid not to leave the snowflake generation grumpy
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11567055/ALISON-BOSHOFF-No-dwarfs-No-Prince-Snow-White-snowflake-generation.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2022, 09:38:41 AM »

Andrea Griffith Show - story of a small town's wonderful lady police chief

That was called "She's the Sheriff."

Also, they don't need to woke the Lethal Weapon movies. They were already pushing abortion and gun control. (And they were pretty stupid, besides that.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »

Also, they don't need to woke the Lethal Weapon movies. They were already pushing abortion and gun control. (And they were pretty stupid, besides that.)

1 and 2 were good popcorn movies.
But yeah, 3 and 4 they started to go nauseating woke including pushing gun control.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2022, 10:16:11 AM »
Jennifer Lawrence of Arabia

Vicki Lawrence of Arabia could be interesting

"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »

ALISON BOSHOFF: No dwarfs. No Prince. Disney's new Snow White is a bid not to leave the snowflake generation grumpy
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11567055/ALISON-BOSHOFF-No-dwarfs-No-Prince-Snow-White-snowflake-generation.html
Casting a Latina actress in the title role, shouldn't it be re-titled Snow Brown?

No prince? I have to ask, will Snow Brown be looking for . . . another princess?  Maybe one from Wakanda?

And with CGI nonhumans filling the role of dwarfs, what about the names? Will the stupid one still be called "Dopey?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2022, 11:03:20 AM »
Will the stupid one still be called "Dopey?"

Whitey
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »
Sounds like IJ5 is going to disprove the theory that only odd numbered Indy movies are worth seeing... as well as disprove the theory that the only good Indy movies have Nazis in them.

I can't describe how disappointed I am in the Willow series.  To be fair, the source material was never deep enough to tolerate a sequel.  Same goes for the Dark Crystal, or Labyrinth, or any of the 80's children's fantasy properties.  I'm not disappointed in the result (I expected nothing less than what we got), I'm disappointed that the effort was put in, in the first place.  I also dislike that Val Kilmer's Madmartigan was given no honors.  Kilmer's Ice Man character was incorporated into the Top Gun sequel in a tasteful and plot-respectful manner and was a richer movie for it. 

Carry Elwes and Ryan Reynolds probably saved us from a Princess Bride remake; Elwes was quoted in the last few years about the topic, saying "there's a shortage of perfect movies in this world; it would be a pity to damage this one."  Add to that, Reynolds gave us the PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2 (Once Upon a Deadpool), which featured a faux kidnapped Fred Savage as an adult in a painstakingly recreated bedroom from his Princess Bride scenes, with Reynolds in Deadpool garb reading to him.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2023, 09:38:30 AM »
Probably a good thread for this:

https://youtu.be/PtYtcqSlOcQ

Top five woke disasters of 2022. He did particularly well on Rings of Power.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2023, 09:59:06 AM »
I just watched that.

I can honestly say, of everything that was presented on that list, there were NONE that I have, or had, or will ever have, any interest in watching.

And that was before that list came out.

The amazing thing about all of that is that none of those people are going to learn anything about fan bases, and they're going to continue to pour out the same kind of supermessaging mess, to the same response from the general public, and they're going to continue to scream racism/anti-trans/anti-gay/anti-whatever.

And they call us fat white cis males completely tone deaf...

Time to get some popcorn and see what massive failures they have in store for 2023.

Here's a story plot they really should consider... hell, they may even be doing so now...

It is a dark time in the realm, a mysterious illness is sweeping the land.

The benevolent leader, Lord Fauchi, has used his golden magic healing powers to create a healing potion that he distributes free of charge to his loving subjects.

But, there is disharmony! The Evil Orange Cheetohair is sewing discontent and disinformation about the healing potion, and many uncolored racist haters refuse to take the potion.

The illness changes them into minions of the Evil Orange Cheetohair, making his army strong.

In the climactic battle for power, Evil Orange Cheetohair sends his demented army to attack Lord Fauchi's castle and seize his councilors of state.

Lord Fauchi calls out his praetorian guard, The Scissor Squad, to do battle. The Scissor Squad is made up of true born Wymn, and many Wymn with penises, all who glory in their non-binaryness.

After a hard-fought battle on the castle grounds, the Scissor Squad defeats Evil Orange Cheetohair's army and celebrates not with a feast, but with a lesbian orgy, the purest expression of love and political compliance that there can be.

I don't know. I think it has potential. I'd really like to see Disney spent, oh... $750 million on it?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:18:14 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2023, 10:06:09 AM »
I can honestly say, of everything that was presented on that list, there were NONE that I have, or had, or will ever have, any interest in watching.

Same, and I watched even the older Star Wars related stuff (like the jar jar era) just because it was star wars, so who cares if it wasn't great? But the current stuff, as well as Marvel, etc. is not even on my radar because of the woke politics. I'm simply done with it all. I did watch The Witcher, but without Henry trying to hold the line, I'm probably done there too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2023, 10:18:54 AM »
"Same, and I watched even the older Star Wars related stuff (like the jar jar era)"

Meesa thinks you just a big racist, betcha betcha!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2023, 10:26:18 AM »
As I think was mentioned, I am hearing Andor was good (as far as Star Wars goes), but I just can't see myself signing up for Disney again to watch it.  I don't want to support that company.   I figure there will be non-Disney options at some point.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2023, 10:30:56 AM »
As I think was mentioned, I am hearing Andor was good (as far as Star Wars goes), but I just can't see myself signing up for Disney again to watch it.  I don't want to support that company.   I figure there will be non-Disney options at some point.

What I've heard too. Unfortunately for Andor most SW fans at this point been burnt too many times by flaming disappointments now to care.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2023, 10:42:53 AM »
I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of Andor, and it was pretty good, but not good enough for me to  go back to it, or think "I gotta go finish Andor!"  Shrug.  We'll see what the next season of Mando looks like.  Like Ben I suspect Season 3 of The Witcher is my last.  I like the books too much to watch it go down in flames.

Actually, the PS5 purchase is looking pretty solid as far as entertainment goes.  Like $100 in games and I'm good on screen time till probably sometime in March.  Which handily enough is when Jedi Survivor comes out. 

Thinking about that, I might need to downgrade my Netflix subscription to something cheaper.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2023, 10:46:41 AM »
What I've heard too. Unfortunately for Andor most SW fans at this point been burnt too many times by flaming disappointments now to care.

It's very good. Kinda a slow burn, but far more character- and story-driven than a bunch of recent spinoff series. Much better off for it, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2023, 11:49:07 AM »

Hmmm ...

There was some backlash after Zegler (pictured), who is Colombian-American, was cast as Snow White. Zegler, 21, said: 'Never in a million years did I imagine that this would be a possibility for me. You don't normally see Snow Whites of Latin descent, even though Snow White is a big deal in Spanish-speaking countries.'

She added: 'People are making these jokes about ours being the PC Snow White . . . yeah, it is — because it needed that. It's an 85-year-old cartoon and our version is a refreshing story about a young woman who has a function beyond 'Someday My Prince Will Come'.'

WHY did it "need" that? With the changes that have apparently been made, it's no longer the Snow White story -- irrespective of what name they pin on the lead character.

Disney will not be content until they have destroyed Walt's entire legacy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »
Hmmm ...

WHY did it "need" that? With the changes that have apparently been made, it's no longer the Snow White story -- irrespective of what name they pin on the lead character.

Disney will not be content until they have destroyed Walt's entire legacy.
Disney is incapable of making anything new.  I think their corporate organization is aligned to prevent it.  All they have done in the last decade or more is buy other companies which eventually are destroyed by the same corporate group think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2023, 01:04:10 PM »
. . .  The amazing thing about all of that is that none of those people are going to learn anything about fan bases, and they're going to continue to pour out the same kind of supermessaging mess, to the same response from the general public, and they're going to continue to scream racism/anti-trans/anti-gay/anti-whatever . . .
Nothing new about this, it's just becoming more blatant and extreme.

Back in the late '80s and early 90s there was a TV show my mother initially liked called Designing Women. It lasted seven seasons, but my mother quit watching it in disgust about midway through its run when the producer - a flaming liberal - decided to make it lefty political. When asked, the producer said she HAD to make it a lefty political screed, since people were voting the wrong way in elections. And she stubbornly kept her messaging in place as the ratings dwindled.

In much the same way (and for much the same reasons) the first couple of years of M*A*S*H were better than the last couple of years. Turning back the clock a bit, we even saw what came to be known as political correctness creeping into old TV favorites like Bonanza.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2023, 01:39:49 PM »
She added: 'People are making these jokes about ours being the PC Snow White . . . yeah, it is — because it needed that. It's an 85-year-old cartoon and our version is a refreshing story about a young woman who has a function beyond 'Someday My Prince Will Come'.'

More to the point, it's a 211 year old German story. I actually not long ago got around to reading the Grimm fairy tales in the original kraut. Let's just say they are a little darker than the Disney movies.

The amazing thing about all of that is that none of those people are going to learn anything about fan bases, and they're going to continue to pour out the same kind of supermessaging mess, to the same response from the general public, and they're going to continue to scream racism/anti-trans/anti-gay/anti-whatever.

The dude in  my link actually explained that pretty well - Hollywood is doing this for Hollywood. They are looking at the Hollywood demographic and pushing this to satisfy themselves, vs the people in America who actually pay them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2023, 02:00:04 PM »
Yep, Hollywood Frotage.

I recorded Amsterdam on my DVR over Christmas with the intention of watching it when I got home.

But then I heard that Robert Diniro's character gives what is essentially an anti-Trump screed masquerading as content for the plot of a period set piece... I'm probably just going to delete it without watching it.

I have better stuff on the DVR, like 3 episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2023, 02:17:19 PM »
The dude in  my link actually explained that pretty well - Hollywood is doing this for Hollywood. They are looking at the Hollywood demographic and pushing this to satisfy themselves, vs the people in America who actually pay them.
Very true, but they're using the old stories, characters, and properties to try to trick the people in America to buy it.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2023, 03:43:01 PM »
More to the point, it's a 211 year old German story.

It is probably a lot older than that.  The Grim brothers thought of themselves as folklore historians, and they transcribed stories they heard (and they actually tamed some of them down a lot too... the originals were a lot darker than their versions... Snow White gets impregnated by the Prince while sleeping in the coffin, if I remember correctly).

I have heard some of the fairy tales are based on some of the oldest stories known, thousands of years old.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2023, 02:06:14 PM »
OMG!
I was hearing bad things about this but this goes beyond bad.
Who made this obviously hates the show, hates the characters, hates the fans, and wants to watch it and them all burn. How does something like this even get green lighted?
I was never a big fan of the show myself, despite it being a Saturday morning staple, but holly hell WTF?

Take it Drinker

Velma Is Complete And Utter Trash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds8w2Vv_RSY
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2023, 04:23:09 PM »
Currently sitting at 1.5 out of 10 on IMDB

But guess what

WTF! Velma season 2 gets the green light!? HBO Max DOUBLES DOWN on Scooby Doo prequel!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjLZgx9ADQ

And of course you're a racist bigot if you don't like it.

:facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2023, 04:45:01 PM »
I had heard that show was only allowed to finish because it was already done when the current leadership took over.  Green lighting a 2nd season sounds like people in the leadership are not actually watching the shows.