Author Topic: Coyote attacks toddler/daylight/suburban neighborhood  (Read 1849 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Coyote attacks toddler/daylight/suburban neighborhood
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2022, 10:43:48 PM »
I don't like coyotes any more than the next guy, but damn, if you are going to do them, try and do them clean.

Bleeding out from an underpowered bullet wound is a shitty way to go.

when I did my hunter safety cert in 1974 , all the books I was reading said .22 lr/mag and .22 hornet were all good for yotes, but while I agree - "they're" not letting people shoot ruger ranch rifles in suburban areas - but the yotes are going after children and our furry family, I've seen video's of them trying to get kids before this one - if we are not legally allowed to protect children, we have to do so by other means .
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2022, 12:07:33 PM »
It is no more or less illegal to cap them with something capable of killing them humanely than it is a .22lr. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2022, 12:45:56 PM »
It is no more or less illegal to cap them with something capable of killing them humanely than it is a .22lr.
The situation dictates a lot.

In a case of exigent circumstances like the video, I'd be shooting with whatever pistol I was wearing - so almost certainly 9mm.
In a case where I was illegally killing them either to prevent an attack or in retribution for one in a suburban or otherwise non-permissive area, I'd probably use something quieter like a suppressed .22LR or an air gun.
If I were trying to kill coyotes at my current house I'd either be using my carry pistol (again, probably a 9mm) assuming an unexpected encounter, or a centerfire rifle assuming I was actively hunting them.

I would definitely feel bad if I sent a canid (or any critter for that matter) off to die slowly, but if acting in defense of my family and animals - or even my neighbor's herds - I'd be willing to risk that.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »
The situation dictates a lot.

I would definitely feel bad if I sent a canid (or any critter for that matter) off to die slowly, but if acting in defense of my family and animals - or even my neighbor's herds - I'd be willing to risk that.

Oh yeah, definitely no question there. 

My comments were specifically to the situation Cliffh outlined, where he had an issue, baited them in, laid up in ambush, then capped them with a .22 so they could run off and (maybe?) bleed out.  If you are going to go to that much trouble, do it where there's a real backstop, and do it right.  If you just can't set up your ambush in a way that you can reasonably ensure a clean kill AND not being arrested, maybe rethink the plan.

I agree though anything imminent (like the video in the OP) and they are DRT with a 9mm JHP, because that's likely what I have on me.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2022, 09:27:48 PM »
I don't like coyotes any more than the next guy, but damn, if you are going to do them, try and do them clean.

Bleeding out from an underpowered bullet wound is a shitty way to go.

I did what I could with what I had.  The -06 would have been too much; the neighbors would probably complain if a round went through their house.  Both were facing me and took the round in the chest.  A head shot would have been too iffy.  The land around here is flat, trees are the only possible backstop.  I'm not building a berm. 

I don't sit around patting myself on the back for how they died.  Then again, my family doesn't have to worry about (at least) those two. 

That sounds similar to what my old boss went through when he lived local.  Hogs started coming into his yard and digging things up.  He finally was able to see them one night.  Shot one with a 22.  Best he could tell is they would stay away a while if one was shot. 

I've heard the same about coyotes.  One data point doesn't prove anything, but in this case it seems to be true.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2022, 10:23:08 PM »
when I did my hunter safety cert in 1974 , all the books I was reading said .22 lr/mag and .22 hornet were all good for yotes, but while I agree - "they're" not letting people shoot ruger ranch rifles in suburban areas - but the yotes are going after children and our furry family, I've seen video's of them trying to get kids before this one - if we are not legally allowed to protect children, we have to do so by other means .

The .22 Hornet is basically a varmint cartridge (and coyotes are varmints). .22 Hornet is 3x to 4x more powerful (in terms of muzzle energy) than .22 magnum.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2022, 11:38:41 PM »
I did what I could with what I had.  The -06 would have been too much; the neighbors would probably complain if a round went through their house.  Both were facing me and took the round in the chest.  A head shot would have been too iffy.  The land around here is flat, trees are the only possible backstop.  I'm not building a berm. 

I don't sit around patting myself on the back for how they died.  Then again, my family doesn't have to worry about (at least) those two. 

I've heard the same about coyotes.  One data point doesn't prove anything, but in this case it seems to be true.

in some areas of rural NV one used to see dead coyotes hanging from fences as a warning to stay away, I'm sure it works because whhen I lived off grid north of Gerlach - we would hear plenty but the cats and chickens were fine - I think once one got a chicken but it may have been something else
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."