Author Topic: Someone is shooting up electrical substations in NC  (Read 1271 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Someone is shooting up electrical substations in NC
« on: December 05, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
40,000 homes without power.

North Carolina power substations taken out by gunfire: sheriff
https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-power-substations-taken-out-gunfire-moore-county-sheriff

Now some are trying to link it to the "far right" saying it was done to shut down a local drag show despite the police saying there is no connection.

40,000 homes in North Carolina left without power after electrical substations are shot up: Police probe links to residents protesting drag show which was cut short when lights went out
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11501475/40-000-North-Carolina-homes-without-power-second-night-targeted-attack-electrical-substation.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Someone is shooting up electrical substations in NC
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 03:28:37 PM »
That’s interesting.

NC is a powder keg waiting to blow, thanks to the far left transplants running roughshod over the native population.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 03:30:47 PM »
One might don tinfoil and ponder "proof of concept" test.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 06:33:55 PM »
Seemed pretty obvious for years that those are easy targets. I learned from the govt I was in though, in Serbia they toasted the grid with graphite bombs that released carbon fiber to fry everything in the substation. Figure a decent drone can carry a fair bit of graphite flock.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 07:16:32 PM »
Not the first time, or even the second.  Recall that California substation getting ventilated after the datalinks monitoring the site were cut in two different utility vaults.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure the MAGA Republicans are ready to cut power to thousands of homes and businesses and churches just to turn out the lights on some transvestites. Sounds plausible...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
I know the solution!

Nationalize the power company grid! That will ensure that this won't happen again!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 11:24:45 AM »
Seemed pretty obvious for years that those are easy targets. I learned from the govt I was in though, in Serbia they toasted the grid with graphite bombs that released carbon fiber to fry everything in the substation. Figure a decent drone can carry a fair bit of graphite flock.
I hadn't heard of graphite bombs.  Thanks for the steer.  Sounds to me like it would shut down electrical yards possibly without causing too much permanent damage depending on how quick the fail safe switching is. 

From Wikipedia.
The graphite bomb was first used against Iraq in the Gulf War (1990–1991), knocking out 85% of the electrical supply. Similarly, the BLU-114/B "Soft-Bomb" graphite bomb was used by NATO against Serbia in May 1999, disabling 70% of that country's power grid. After initial success in disabling Serbian electric power systems, the electric supply was restored in less than 24 hours. The BLU-114/B was again used a few days later to counter Serbian efforts to restore damage caused by the initial attack. In the later stage of Operation Allied Force, NATO's air forces used conventional bombs and rockets to target power highlines and transformer stations.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 11:56:18 AM »
Hey, I know what this is all about! Republicans are anti-science, remember? They must hate electricity. They're taking down the power grid, to bring us all closer to God!

and white supremacy
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 12:10:52 PM by Perd Hapley »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 12:55:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure the MAGA Republicans are ready to cut power to thousands of homes and businesses and churches just to turn out the lights on some transvestites. Sounds plausible...

Saw something (Bookface link to a twitter post) blaming "christofascists".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 12:59:14 PM »
Saw something (Bookface link to a twitter post) blaming "christofascists".

Not fair! Just because the Amish are trying to destroy electrical power in this country doesn't mean all Christians are anti-electric-grid!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 04:32:37 PM »

Not fair! Just because the Amish are trying to destroy electrical power in this country doesn't mean all Christians are anti-electric-grid!

The Amish conspiracy looms!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 04:40:09 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 04:57:55 PM »
I don't know if the Amish celebrate Christmas, but people put candles on trees before we had electric lights, so...

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 05:04:16 PM »

One guy replied to my questioning of that:

Two friends of mine murdered by fascists so far this year, one antiqueet hate crime and one partner femicide.
52 other antiqueer hate crimes by last activist count, including at least one high profile mass shooting.
Hundreds of thousands of deadly threats, at a noticeably higher rate than ever before.
Famous pundits and politicians running for office calling for and cheering on terrorist violence against us.
I've been asking this twitter user for more evidence to show people but...
our rhetoric is not inflamed. That is simply a lie.
Our rhetoric is pathologically calm, to the point that it's killing us.
If our rhetoric was really inflamed, churches would be getting blown up and rightwing agitators would be getting disappeared.

Someone's going to start shooting sometime.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 05:53:37 PM »
One guy replied to my questioning of that:

Someone's going to start shooting sometime.

"partner femicide" is included in the "murdered by fascists" count? 

I hear "right wing" people from TV or youtube talk about getting death threats as a daily part of life not worth complaining about.  Been going on for years. 

I would like to see examples of the "Famous pundits and politicians running for office calling for and cheering on terrorist violence against us."  Seen far too many people stretch very innocent statements into whatever they want to imagine.  Show me the proof. 

"If our rhetoric was really inflamed, churches would be getting blown up and rightwing agitators would be getting disappeared." - There have been a number of Churches burned down, but not compared to the shear number of Churches out there.  The only "disappeared" people I can think of now are the Jan 6th people.  Nearly two years now.

You might be right about the shooting.  Consider that most of the "mass shooters" are NOT right wing agitators. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 09:59:06 PM »
 Matt Bracken iirc  talked about how easy it would be to shoot at substations and that people probably would if they became angry enough, is Moore county blue?   A few yrs ago some substations around San Jose. CA were shot at - it could be angry left or right wingers ... I personally suspect somebody needed to sell a lot of generators

Someone's going to start shooting sometime
  oh, they are indeed.

IDK if you guys watch/listen to Tim Pool/timcast - I used to, but honestly, kind of boring listening to a bunch of people with only a little bit of information ... anyway, he has been getting swatted a bunch and getting death threats for being "right wing" and recently someone shot at his home.
 Boy, attacking Tim Pool for being right wing is moronic , I can't wait for the mopes to attack a real right wing gun nut - the quartering has been speaking about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzLp86Zokw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_Qoa3Biwc
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 10:46:07 PM »
Around 30 or 40 years ago, people were shooting out the insulators on high tension lines in rural Minnesota. It seems that a bunch of farmers had part of their land seized through eminent domain for powerline towers, and they felt the lines crossing their land had a negative effect on people and livestock. Very contentious, and some folks took to shooting out power lines, while others took out the bolts holding down towers and they fell. IIRC they eventually caught a few of these people and threw all kinds of Federal charges at them.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 11:38:13 PM »

Even the old school chaff (aluminum/fiberglass) would shut down power, as the Navy figured out many years ago.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-07-30-me-4028-story.html

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2022, 12:32:11 AM »

Boy, attacking Tim Pool for being right wing is moronic...

The realignment people keep talking about seems to be a movement from a left/right dichotomy to a dichotomy of the far, far, far left vs anyone who dares dissent from the far, far, far left.

That's why Pool and Musk and Trump are "far right" now.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 04:41:12 AM »
"partner femicide" is included in the "murdered by fascists" count? 

I hear "right wing" people from TV or youtube talk about getting death threats as a daily part of life not worth complaining about.  Been going on for years. 

I would like to see examples of the "Famous pundits and politicians running for office calling for and cheering on terrorist violence against us."  Seen far too many people stretch very innocent statements into whatever they want to imagine.  Show me the proof. 

"If our rhetoric was really inflamed, churches would be getting blown up and rightwing agitators would be getting disappeared." - There have been a number of Churches burned down, but not compared to the shear number of Churches out there.  The only "disappeared" people I can think of now are the Jan 6th people.  Nearly two years now.

You might be right about the shooting.  Consider that most of the "mass shooters" are NOT right wing agitators. 

As usual the left is projecting what they are actually doing onto the right. There are plenty of screenshots of leftists calling for anybody an inch to the right of them to be thrown into reeducation camps, gulags, death camps, etc, their property seized, rights stripped, murdered, heavily harassed, etc. And then there are the endless riots when these crybaby little *expletive deleted*s don’t get their way or a criminal piece of *expletive deleted*it they can martyr gets killed.

I have yet to see right wingers pull innocents out of cars and beat the hell out of them, or burn city blocks down.

But if they think that they are “holding back” and they are going to start burning churches (lord they hate churches!) and “disappearing” us, let’s go mother *expletive deleted*ers, let’s get this party started. Come down to the the Deep South and let’s get it on, you can have a shot at all of us “racist hillbillies”. Stop hiding in Portland and Seattle where your governments are aligned with you, come out to where all these flyover hicks live and shoot your shot.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 10:46:38 AM »
What caliber for substation?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »
What's the over under on this being Climate Change "activists"? 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2022, 11:10:44 AM »
What caliber for substation?

Something subsonic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2022, 11:12:17 AM »
What's the over under on this being Climate Change "activists"?

Better odds than "tried to stop a drag show".