Author Topic: Remember the wedding cake SCOTUS case?  (Read 1677 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Remember the wedding cake SCOTUS case?
« on: December 05, 2022, 08:11:00 PM »
The case in which a baker didn't want to be forced to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples?

Now we're doing it all over -- but this time it's over web sites:

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-decide-christian-business-124938900.html

First, same-sex couples just wanted to be allowed to live together openly. So we gave them that. Then they came back and wanted legal protections for their togetherness, so the courts and the legislatures created "civil unions," which is all they said they wanted. And then they came back again, and said, "No, civil unions aren't enough -- we want to be able to call our unions 'marriages,' even if we don't meet the classic definition of what marriage is."

And many states have rolled over and given them that, too. And now even that isn't enough. Now they want to be able to force people whose beliefs don't support same-sex unions into providing services for them.

Slippery slope, meet reality.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Remember the wedding cake SCOTUS case?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 09:48:22 PM »
The case in which a baker didn't want to be forced to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples?

Now we're doing it all over -- but this time it's over web sites:

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-decide-christian-business-124938900.html

First, same-sex couples just wanted to be allowed to live together openly. So we gave them that. Then they came back and wanted legal protections for their togetherness, so the courts and the legislatures created "civil unions," which is all they said they wanted. And then they came back again, and said, "No, civil unions aren't enough -- we want to be able to call our unions 'marriages,' even if we don't meet the classic definition of what marriage is."

And many states have rolled over and given them that, too. And now even that isn't enough. Now they want to be able to force people whose beliefs don't support same-sex unions into providing services for them.

Slippery slope, meet reality.

And the news reports on it are saying the case is about businesses hiding behind the First Amendment to shield their bigotry and hatred.
"It's good, though..."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 10:21:19 PM »
I used to think gay marriage was not a big deal.  Boy that was stupid.

It is a huge club to attack Christianity, the family and our children.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 10:52:01 PM »
I wonder if the LGBTQ crowd think kosher restaurants should be forced to serve pork chops and ham steaks.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 10:56:34 PM »
I wonder if the LGBTQ crowd think kosher restaurants should be forced to serve pork chops and ham steaks.

Yes they do, but Muslim (what's the word, halal?) restaurants should not be forced to serve pork because the Muslims are a little bit scary.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 12:10:18 AM »
Yes they do, but Muslim (what's the word, halal?) restaurants should not be forced to serve pork because the Muslims are a little bit scary.
Mmm… my favorite pizza joint is halal. Beef pepperoni, beef bacon, beef sausage, garlic sauce.  Excellent.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 08:32:24 AM »
Roast the pig
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 12:58:10 PM »
And the news reports on it are saying the case is about businesses hiding behind the First Amendment to shield their bigotry and hatred.

That'll be the spin, of course, from the left. I look at it as not wishing to support their beliefs and life style.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 05:15:13 PM »
That'll be the spin, of course, from the left. I look at it as not wishing to support their beliefs and life style.

Woody

For the most part, the left are amoral if not immoral, and seem to be incapable of understanding that a Christian might choose to live in accordance with the teaching of the Christ and the Bible. Anything they don't understand, they label as "hate."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 05:41:17 PM »
For the most part, the left are amoral if not immoral, and seem to be incapable of understanding that a Christian might choose to live in accordance with the teaching of the Christ and the Bible. Anything they don't understand, they label as "hate."

I don't think it's that simple.
They understand perfectly that the Christian teachings have a strong underpinning of personal responsibility.
Personal responsibility is an absolute abomination to the liberal mindset. Even the mere suggestion that a person should take responsibility for their own actions equates to hate speech to them.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 07:40:12 PM »
The left are moral degenerates who are outraged if someone opposes killing children in the womb, or propagandizing them with sexual perversion outside it.  They are monsters who are convinced that conservatives are the real monsters.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 07:36:54 PM »
I used to think gay marriage was not a big deal.  Boy that was stupid.

It is a huge club to attack Christianity, the family and our children.

yeah, me too - I was wrong about that
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 09:19:06 AM »
Thinking the left would be satisfied at gay marriage is like thinking Homer would be satisfied at one donut.
\He gets one he wants two. He gets two he wants three. He gets three he wants four. And so on.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 09:37:34 AM »
The fundamental feature of progressivism is that it seeks change.  There isn't a destination or goal, it is at root a rejection of status quo.

Individual progressives might well achieve their goals and be happy with the results - essentially become conservative on specific issues - but the movement will continue right on wanting more and more change.

It's not a slippery slope fallacy, it's a recognition of the nature of progressivism.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 12:00:05 PM »
The fundamental feature of progressivism is that it seeks change.  There isn't a destination or goal, it is at root a rejection of status quo.

The status quo is now perversion, murder and insanity.

I guess that means I am now a progressive rebel.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 02:07:29 PM »
How long before rejecting a same-sex date request is considered a hate crime/sex crime?

Suck the D---!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 02:34:07 PM »
How long before rejecting a same-sex date request is considered a hate crime/sex crime?

Suck the D---!

The alphabet community has already made some noises about that.  Minor so far, but the noises will no doubt get louder and more insistent.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 05:56:49 PM »
The alphabet community has already made some noises about that.  Minor so far, but the noises will no doubt get louder and more insistent.

I never thought I would see the day when I looked back fondly on the time when "the alphabet community" referred to the FBI and the CIA.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »
They keep turning up their dial . . . but this would be what causes the normal to finally flip their switch.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2022, 11:47:37 PM »

Suck the D---!

I hear thru the grapevine that dudes are going to lesbian bars in San Francisco and accusing women of being "a terf" trans exclusive radical feminist,  and it is a successful strategy for a companion for the evening 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2022, 08:43:55 AM »
I hear thru the grapevine that dudes are going to lesbian bars in San Francisco and accusing women of being "a terf" trans exclusive radical feminist,  and it is a successful strategy for a companion for the evening
Dudes are probably saying that they're male lesbians.  >:D    :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2022, 08:45:14 AM »

Suck the D---!

Remember this being pushed 2 or 3 years ago.
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 09:55:28 PM »

They are lost and looking for a direction - one that doesn't involve personal responsibility, has no boundaries, etc., and it leaves them empty. There is really only one way but it requires personal responsibility, boundaries, faith in themselves, faith in what can be gained by leading a moral life, faith in the successful ways of life that have endured for millennia, and until they try it, they will remain lost. Sadly, they won't try it until they are desperate, dejected, and suffer failure after failure after failure - if they survive their foibles. Then, and only then, will they learn to forgive themselves.It can all be found in the Bible.

For now, they drift in depravity as they attempt to "excuse" and "justify" their life styles. Pray for them but offer them no quarter. If they don't get a clue and figure it out on their own, they will never rejoin the human race. You can lead a horse to water, and all that ...

Woody
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:36:57 AM by ConstitutionCowboy »
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2022, 12:28:47 AM »
It is important not to shortchange true progressives (as opposed to sociopathic, power-hungry authoritarians who wear the progressive skin suit just as readily as the conservative one). While their philosophy can bend toward nihilism, it is based on the very real truth that the society which conservatives defend is imperfect, that some people are unable to succeed in it, and that injustice exists. Their goal is to right those wrongs.

Yes, it is true that the overwhelming majority of their ideas are worse than worthless - most are dangerous and counterproductive. But it is also true that without them society stagnates. Amusingly, nearly everything conservatives defend was produced by history’s progressives.

The society that lacks strong conservatives protecting and defending what has worked will quickly spiral into murderous madness. 

The society that lacks a progressive contingent holds just as tightly to its failures and evils as it does to successes and righteousness.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »
Amusingly, nearly everything conservatives defend was produced by history’s progressives.

The society that lacks strong conservatives protecting and defending what has worked will quickly spiral into murderous madness. 

The society that lacks a progressive contingent holds just as tightly to its failures and evils as it does to successes and righteousness.

A lot of truth there. I bet the conservatives in the 1760-1770s thought the progressives were weirdos for wanting independence from the British.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536