Author Topic: Nine percent humidity today  (Read 753 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Nine percent humidity today
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2023, 06:56:25 PM »
Thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2023, 08:40:00 PM »
And your remark about those tornado chasers is irrelevant since they weren't trying to escape in the first place.

Not really irrelevant, Terry, as that is the training we received.  We generally did not try to get up close and personal with tornados, instead we would observe them from a distance and provide reports ("ground truth" as it is called) to the NWS.
However, if we found ourselves surprised by a close-by tornado, our training was to seek immediate shelter.  Trying to drive away to escape a close tornado is often impractical if not impossible, especially if you are on a straight stretch of road with no turns or intersections.  Many people have been killed trying to escape tornados in their cars.

Certainly, your course of action depends on circumstances, but for the general situation, (A) I wouldn't automatically try to shelter up and (B) My perhaps clouded judgement would be to drive away as noted.  I did shelter my camper under an overpass when some really rough weather occurred.  I got there just in time, the underpass filled up with other vehicles in a hurry. Tornadoes out in the boonies aren't necessarily reported on newscasts, but holy crap, the sky sure opened up and there was a roaring sound but that could have been the hail.

Overpasses may seem a logical place to shelter from tornados, but in reality they can be very dangerous due to them causing a venturi effect for tornadic winds.  Wind speed can actually increase significantly as wind passes under a bridge or overpass, blowing people and vehicles out of the supposed shelter.
These people were darn lucky:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHBZylcxIvw

These people were not so lucky:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJkDphU5olo

Overpasses can be a good place to shelter from large, damaging hail if that is the only threat, however.

Despite the vagaries of tornado direction-taking, if you have any distance from them at all, my estimation is the best bet is to move away from them...the "right angles" has been recommended by Officialdom, for what it's worth.

Yes, "officialdom" does suggest moving away at right angles if you are sufficiently far away from the tornado, and if the road network allows for that.  If you are out on a straight section of highway with no ability to turn off at an angle away from the storm, then you should pull a u-turn and get the hell out of dodge.
If you cannot do a u-turn then you should take immediate shelter outside the vehicle wherever you can find it.  You do not want to be caught in your vehicle in a tornado.

They aren't looking for Rocket Man, after all.  "Hey, there's Rocket Man's car !  Let's go git 'im!"

My point was that tornadic storms are unpredictable. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2023, 09:37:43 PM »
We cannot say for certain that the tornadoes are not targeting RocketMan. Their aims are at present unknown.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2023, 10:11:24 PM »
We cannot say for certain that the tornadoes are not targeting RocketMan. Their aims are at present unknown.

[tinfoil] [tinfoil]
That's what they want you to think
 [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2023, 10:20:09 PM »
Good discussion of alternatives and amplification of Perd's events.

Yes.  Thank you, all.

Perd taps cards.  "Hit me."

Dealer slides card toward Perd.

"Great. A four.  Blackjack!"

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2023, 08:39:46 AM »

I don't know that I have ever been specifically targeted, despite the fact that we had one pass a few hundred yards west of our property in 2017.  It took down a few of the large trees in our yard, but caused no other damage.
It is scientific fact that tornados target mobile homes, single-wide units especially.  Being that this is North Carolina, there are a number of single-wide trailers in the area, and we may have just been collateral damage.   ;)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2023, 09:16:01 AM »
Turns out there were 7 tornadoes in the area that night.

https://twitter.com/NWSStLouis/status/1647763914757922817/photo/1

None of them got particularly close to us.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2023, 01:17:41 PM »
Turns out there were 7 tornadoes in the area that night.

https://twitter.com/NWSStLouis/status/1647763914757922817/photo/1

None of them got particularly close to us.

Be glad for that.
They think it may have been an F0 that went over a couple of neighbor's houses Saturday evening.  On my side of the street (east side), a tree in one neighbor's back yard took out the power lines for our side of the street just after 7 p.m.  As of 9 this morning, Ameren STILL doesn't have a "timeline" for when the repairs might be done.
On the west side of the street and one house closer to me, another neighbor had a BRANCH break of of his tree and it took out a wooden garden shed, a 3-season sunroom and still came down on the roof of the garage next door.  Of the cut ends of the branches I can see above the garage roof, the diameters are at least 4-6 inches and get bigger the closer they get to the broken end of the branch.  With the amount of damage this tree has suffered, it isn't likely to survive.  I estimate that the trunk is at least 30" in diameter, between the back yards of two houses and on a rather steep incline.
It's going to be fun trying to take that behemoth down safely.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:33:13 PM by JTHunter »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2023, 03:29:17 PM »
They finally cut down a few dead pine trees that were threatening my building right by my bedroom window,.  They were a short distance (20 feet?) from the house and subject to blowing down on the house  in one of our common very strong west winds.

"If you cannot do a u-turn then you should take immediate shelter outside the vehicle wherever you can find it.  You do not want to be caught in your vehicle in a tornado."

Seriously, if worse comes to worst and I were caught out in the open, I'd try to loop my belt around a fence wire or fence post, hyperventilate like mad, cover my eyes, and say Hail Marys as rapidly as I could.  The hyperventilation is in anticipation of a big pressure drop. The Hail Marys are on general principles.

If no such possibility exists, I'd lie down as flat as possible and resort to the Hail Marys.  On general principles.

"Hail Mary, full of Grace, my ass is grass..."

Undoubtedly, expert advice exists on whether to lie down face up or face down. =D

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 03:58:09 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2023, 03:44:54 PM »
Bestest tornado movie EVERS!
(Or, how NOT to survive a tornado)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgG2jfBfLzI
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2023, 04:22:05 PM »
^ Interesting entertainment.

At the outset, I wondered about the wisdom of automatically seeking shelter.  Perd probably did the right thing and made 21.

I'm glad we're having this discussion, but sometimes it seems like every ploy reviewed has been met with objections.  I guess the best all around advice is to face the wind, beat your chest, and give a Tarzan yell.

Bur seiously, does the Storm Chasing or other weather organizations have a set of comprehensive strategies for different tornado circumstances with the chances involved in taking different courses of action?

All I've ever heard on the TeeVee is go to the lowest flooe and take shelter in a bathroom.  Nothing (unless I missed it all) about different circumstance while driving (except the right angles thing) or just plain being out in the open.

With me living on the second floor long ago I made arrangements with other tenants on the first floor to take shelter with them in their bathrooms, but senior attrition has eliminated that possibility, so I'm halfway screwed in that regard.

Is there a comprehensive set of plans with alternate situations and solutions available anywhere?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 04:40:53 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2023, 05:59:39 PM »
Get in a room with no exterior walls and/or no windows. Lowest floor of the building. Underground shelter is best, above ground "safe room" type shelter is a close second.
I've lived in Oklahoma off and on since the mid '60s. Never seen a tornado, never had damage from one and know of no one in my family in the area that has. (knocks wood).
On the other hand in the 12 years I was in the Navy I had the pleasure of direct experience with at least 4 hurricanes.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2023, 06:26:48 PM »
Lots of help out there.

https://search.brave.com/search?q=tornado+instructions&source=android

If caught in the open, the advice I've always seen is to get in a ditch. I guess tying off to something (as was mentioned) couldn't hurt, but I think the main danger is being hit by debris