Author Topic: New S&W folding pistol caliber carbine  (Read 515 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: New S&W folding pistol caliber carbine
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 09:27:11 AM »
Ugly, but I do like the side fold. That's one complaint I have about my Sub2000 is that the top fold makes it impossible to mount a red dot or similar sight on top.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 09:57:15 AM »
It's an interesting way to get something compact-ish and keep a 16" barrel, but it'll need a pretty high red dot (like the pictures show) and so it doesn't really seem to fold into a useful size/shape.  Or rather it's still kinda awkward for a PDW.

Ballistics by the Inch would indicate that you aren't getting all that much out a long 9mm barrel (~100FPS from 6" to 16") so it seems unreasonably large for me just so I can shoulder a 9mm.  I guess I was spoiled by the pistol brace era.  I also wonder what happens to the balance and handling if you jam 46 rounds of 9mm under the stock.

ETA: And the charging handle is in a weird spot.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 10:29:47 AM »
I guess I was spoiled by the pistol brace era. 

Oh, is that era over?

WILLNOTCOMPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:48:14 AM »
I'll be very interested to see how the hinge and latch that position and hold the barrel (and chamber?) in place with respect to the receiver and bolt hold up to extended use.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 11:11:22 AM »
So I would assume S&W got a thorough clearance from the BATFE for this.  I'd be interested in seeing or at least archiving the entire approval sequence so that when BATFE changes its mind pursuant to the usual *expletive deleted*it from the top, how they will handle the backtracking.

I'm not being a wise guy.  I'm just being shoelacedly / pistolbracedly observant and technically curious.

Far be it from me to be a wiseass, after all.

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 11:13:57 AM »
MSRP: $659
The MSRP is in a range to compete with the Ruger carbine and the Keltec sub2000.  Most of the other options are twice as much or more.

Some sort of fold down or collapsible red dot mount would be useful to keep the vertical height down. 

I am not sure how short the stock will adjust down to.  It seems like a 10" barrel would match up well and minimize the folded length.  That gets into brace/SBR territory. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 11:35:14 AM »
Not sure why S&W would need BATFE clearance... the barrel is legal length and overall length, when unfolded, is legal length.

The kicker is, I think that like the Sub2000, it can't be fired when it's in a folded state.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 12:15:48 PM »
Oh, is that era over?

WILLNOTCOMPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=D

[speaks slowly and clearly into the laptop microphone]
Ahem.  I have no intention of breaking federal law and bragging about it on the internet.  I am waiting to see if any of the pending pistol brace lawsuits get an injunction.  Also my dogs are friendly and would never hurt anyone.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 12:57:13 PM »
^ =D :rofl:

That is all.

Oh, wait.  No it's not...

I too speak slowly and clearly into the laptop microphone...
I have no intention of breaking federal law. And I would not brag about it on the internet if I did.  I am waiting to see if any of the pending pistol brace lawsuits get an injunction although I do not have any support devices for my handguns except for a lanyard loop on one mainspring housing. Also, I have a number of virulent and highly communicable diseases for which there are no cures and my house is absolutely loaded with their spores.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 01:20:05 PM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 01:37:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:21:51 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 01:54:52 PM »
One of the PSA emails this morning had this gun for sale at $599. 

Mrgunsgear, Iraqveteran8888, and Soothch00 all have reviews out.  May have been others.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 03:19:48 PM »
One of the PSA emails this morning had this gun for sale at $599. 

Mrgunsgear, Iraqveteran8888, and Soothch00 all have reviews out.  May have been others.

Soothch00 is good for a look at a firearm but he never met a firearm that wasn't the greatest ever. Bear that in mind when watching his videos.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 03:44:15 PM »
DO WANT!!!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 04:17:13 PM »
I'll give it a look when it comes out in 45ACP.  [popcorn]

Woody  :old:
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 05:03:13 PM »
Soothch00 is good for a look at a firearm but he never met a firearm that wasn't the greatest ever. Bear that in mind when watching his videos.

Why do you think reviewers (individual or publications) keep getting free firearms to "test?" K Mart, you want to chime in here?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2023, 05:33:05 PM »
Sportsman's Warehouse just posted them at $599.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 06:56:56 PM »
Why do you think reviewers (individual or publications) keep getting free firearms to "test?" K Mart, you want to chime in here?

Aware of that, it's just Soothch00 never has anything bad to say about anything on a particular firearm, zip, zero. Most of the others will voice at least some criticisms.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
Just got an email from Kel-Tec

WAITING FOR A DEAL?

In a first for us, we’re issuing a rebate program on the iconic, SUB2000. If you’ve been waiting for the right time to buy an American original, consider this your personal invitation.

Click the button below for more information and to apply for your rebate.
OFFER EXPIRES 6.30.23
Purchase a KelTecTM SUB2000TM between March 1, 2023 and June 30, 2023 and receive a check, in the amount of one hundred ($100) U.S. dollars via mail per each NEW qualifying SUB2000TM. The following SUB-CQB SKUs are excluded: SUB2K9CQB-GLK17BBLK, SUB2K9CQBGLK19BBLK, SUB2K9CQBMPBBLK. No substitutions.

Note the suppressed models are excluded

Usually demand far outstrips production of S2Ks so maybe they're feeling a bit of heat with the release of the S&W
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2023, 01:33:28 PM »
Follow up on this if you like wierd folding Carbines.  PSA has glock mag Sub2000's on their St. Patrick's day sale this weekend.  Sale price $429, final price $329 after rebate.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/kel-tec-gen2-sub2000-glock-19-9mm-rifle-black.html

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2023, 02:32:58 PM »
^ =D :rofl:

That is all.

Oh, wait.  No it's not...

I too speak slowly and clearly into the laptop microphone...
I have no intention of breaking federal law. And I would not brag about it on the internet if I did.  I am waiting to see if any of the pending pistol brace lawsuits get an injunction although I do not have any support devices for my handguns except for a lanyard loop on one mainspring housing. Also, I have a number of virulent and highly communicable diseases for which there are no cures and my house is absolutely loaded with their spores.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

Nice of you to invite the feds to nuke both you and your neighbors.  Just to be sure they get all the spores.   =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »
Aware of that, it's just Soothch00 never has anything bad to say about anything on a particular firearm, zip, zero. Most of the others will voice at least some criticisms.
Sootch has said before that if he has a gun that is a dog, he just sends it back.  He doesn't do a video at all.  If I made a living reviewing guns, I might make similar decisions.  Hard to say as I am not in that position. 

I have heard him talk about the number of malfunctions he had in testing and show video of those among other issues.  He definitely doesn't dwell on the negative though.  If you are looking for someone to crap on a gun, his channel isn't the place to go.  Other reviewers go to the other extreme and go on for minutes at a time about some detail I don't even care about.  I like that both types of reviews are out there.