Author Topic: Biscuits  (Read 9950 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Biscuits
« on: December 14, 2022, 12:45:07 PM »
I wanted biscuits on my day off.

I remembered eating biscuits in the kitchen of the house on Route Two, and watching the sun come up while listening to the local AM station to see if there was too much snow to have school.

Those were Bisquick biscuits.

And they were good.

I made some today, but I cheated. I used heavy cream instead of milk.

And they were good.

And odds are,  you'd hear this... Or an even older version...

https://youtu.be/z_wgJ3Yg4v4
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »
Mtnbkr occasionally makes biscuits. He's tried to recreate his grandmother's recipe. Not sure if he ever nailed it, but I've been party to some damned good batches of biscuits.

He, I think, uses lard.

I've made biscuits a number of times over the years and they've turned out OK, but anymore I'll just buy some of the frozen Grands biscuits and pop them in the toaster oven. They're about as good as anything that I can make on my own.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »
We do the frozen Grands ourselves.  They're pretty good for a frozen biscuit.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 02:57:52 PM »

Surprisingly they're a lot better than the Grands in the tubes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 03:25:38 PM »
Man, I used to make biscuits all the time. I need to make some again. I recall when we had a thread on it back in the day, my recipe was similar to mtnbkr's using lard (lots of lard) and a cast iron pan in the oven. Pretty close to this old boy - it's just cowboy cookin'.  =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYzJLrECuU
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 03:36:57 PM »
I used butter and mayo in my biscuit dough
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
Mtnbkr made a batch some years ago that were literally oozing lard. I called them his lard pucks.

They were freaking INSANELY good.

I grew up in the North, so I don't have anything even remotely approaching a family biscuit tradition. Up north it was all about yeast raised dinner rolls.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 11:07:15 PM »
I use lard and buttermilk in my biscuits. Just good ole' southern buttermilk biscuits to go with my fried chicken, mashed taters, corn and pan gravy. That is basically the menu this coming sat when my daughter visits.

I am sure most people know but just in case, always freeze your lard and then use a grater to grate it over the flour mixture before cutting it in. My recipe calls for 1 cup of lard so I make one cup rounds and freeze them that way. Lard will last nearly forever in the freezer.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 06:57:17 PM »
I've been in a mood trying to get biscuits right. I had them close on my first attempt using crisco because I am not sure if a pork allergy deals with lard or not. Local Virginia mill with soft winter wheat flour. Then I got what I really wanted, a bag of White Lily. So far unimpressed I guess the hipster rumors of them moving the mill changed the product. I will be back to it soon, try a different grease. Beef tallow, bear, and duck are the current plottings.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 07:59:13 PM »
Duck fat biscuits sounds mighty tasty.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 07:54:54 AM »
I've been in a mood trying to get biscuits right. I had them close on my first attempt using crisco because I am not sure if a pork allergy deals with lard or not. Local Virginia mill with soft winter wheat flour. Then I got what I really wanted, a bag of White Lily. So far unimpressed I guess the hipster rumors of them moving the mill changed the product. I will be back to it soon, try a different grease. Beef tallow, bear, and duck are the current plottings.

Not hipster, not rumors. White Lily HAS changed, and not for the better. I know many people who had used it for years (I also used it quite a bit) who suddenly had their biscuits, cakes, and other baked goods completely change, and not for the better.

The company that made it was sold and manufacturing was moved to other mills; there are also rumors that the specific breed of wheat also changed and that had an impact, too.

I know some people who now resort to using Swan's cake flour when they really want the best biscuits they can make.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 09:33:34 AM »
I have a box of swans. Was seriously unimpressed by the white lily.
AKA Navy Joe   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 09:40:50 AM »
And the flour I liked so much? Big Spring Mill in Elliston Virginia. Permanently closed in August so no wonder my backwoods store didn’t restock. Arrrghh.
AKA Navy Joe   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 12:55:28 PM »
I have a box of swans. Was seriously unimpressed by the white lily.

It's not as good as it used to be.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 10:49:45 PM »

This x1,000. The canned biscuit have an odd chemical taste. the frozen biscuits are much better just take a bit longer to cook
Buy them at Sams
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 11:24:26 PM »
Mary B's frozen biscuits are very good.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 07:33:39 AM »
I think I'll get some frozen Grands and make them with eggs and sausage for breakfast this weekend.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 05:30:11 PM »
Freeze yo' lard & grate it
I sure hope I can remember that tip next time I bake something
7-11 was a part time job.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 11:14:00 PM »

There were times when I was a kid, particularly when we were camping, that we would take the dough in those "tubes" and make donuts.  We would either make the usual "O" types but we also made donut "holes" and "sticks".  They would be deep fried then, after draining on paper towels, we dredged them in either granulated or powdered sugar.
They weren't "light & airy" like regular glazed donuts but it was something we did with our parents as a "treat".
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 12:32:11 PM »
I think I'll get some frozen Grands and make them with eggs and sausage for breakfast this weekend.

Mmmm... sausage gravy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 01:03:18 PM »
"The canned biscuit have an odd chemical taste."

Yes. Exactly. I never realized that before until a couple of years ago someone recommended frozen Grands (it was on the boards here, actually) and I got some.

I liked Grands in the tube...

But the frozen Grands? Holy crap, SO much better!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 02:57:01 PM »
"The canned biscuit have an odd chemical taste."

Yes. Exactly. I never realized that before until a couple of years ago someone recommended frozen Grands (it was on the boards here, actually) and I got some.

I liked Grands in the tube...

But the frozen Grands? Holy crap, SO much better!

https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=56184.0

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 07:34:37 PM »
That was a trip down memory lane.... from the before times, the land before COVID...