Author Topic: Biscuits  (Read 9953 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
7-11 was a part time job.

WindBreaker

• AKA: "Sir Fartsalot"
Re: Biscuits
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 04:16:17 AM »
Reading these post brought back fond memories of Mama making biscuits early each morning. Cat head biscuits rolled and then cut out with a old Vienna sausage can kept just for that purpose. Cooked in a cast iron skillet that I learned at an early age to not wash. That it must be handled with the care and dignity that it had earned. She did NOT bake them but cook them on top of the stove, and as the family watched and waited on her to finish breakfast, the conversation would always stop, and every eye watch as she skillfully flipped the biscuits in that pan into the air. Watched as they hovered above the stove, slowly made a 180 turn, and then as they fell back into the skillet, maneuvered so as to land centered, perfectly centered into a skillet that they filled fully.  I asked Daddy once if she had ever missed. He said they had been married for 0ver 60 years and had never seen it even come close, they dared not miss. Egg's, bacon, sausage, grits, milk, coffee, juice, those biscuits, and a bowl of gravy. When I was little, this was a daily event, but over the years, as my siblings married and moved out, it slowly because a Sunday only breakfast and then, a event only for when everyone was home. By then she need help, and had more than she wanted in the kitchen. Fussing, and being hit with a dish towel, but the biscuits, that was her job, and hers alone, as nobody else could ever flip them like she did.  Daddy would be 99 this year, and Mama 95, and yes I do miss them dearly. But I have so many good memories like those breakfast's, with her biscuits.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2023, 12:36:48 PM »
Made some frozen Grands today. Had them with corned beef hash and scrambled egg beaters with cheese.

Tasty.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2023, 01:28:16 PM »
Purchased my first bag of pillsbury grands this morning.
Will report back.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2023, 08:52:26 PM »
2 cups White Lilly self rising
1 stick of butter
1 cup of butter milk

Makes a helluva biscuit (s)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2023, 10:35:00 AM »
Going to have pork chop biscuits for late breakfast / early lunch this morning.  Using leftover pork chop and the Grande frozen biscuits.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2023, 05:34:38 PM »
As a side note those so called "Chinese donuts" you find in many "Chinese" restaurants are simply canned biscuits thrown into a fryer then rolled in or sprinkled with sugar.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:53:50 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2023, 01:41:56 PM »
Found out this morning that SWMBO switched over to from Pillsbury Grandes to Wally World's Great Value frozen biscuits a couple of months ago.  I hadn't noticed until I read the package today.  They are a decent frozen biscuit, which might explain my not noticing the change.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2023, 03:23:18 PM »
Found out this morning that SWMBO switched over to from Pillsbury Grandes to Wally World's Great Value frozen biscuits a couple of months ago.  I hadn't noticed until I read the package today.  They are a decent frozen biscuit, which might explain my not noticing the change.

There's a reasonably good chance they probably came from the same factory. Lots of BigBrands do private labeling. It's kinda a no-brainer. It's still sales, but without the cost of marketing, distribution, and advertising.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2023, 06:53:14 PM »
There's a reasonably good chance they probably came from the same factory. Lots of BigBrands do private labeling. It's kinda a no-brainer. It's still sales, but without the cost of marketing, distribution, and advertising.

Brad

That's what I was thinking this morning as I was munching a steak biscuit.  The WW frozen biscuits looked identical to the Pillsbury Grande biscuits in shape, size and outside texture.  The cooked result didn't look any different, and there doesn't seem to be much difference in taste.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2023, 07:49:15 PM »

Brad

Yep, half the price and only double the rat feces!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2023, 09:09:17 PM »

Yep, half the price and only double the rat feces!

The rat feces add flavor!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2023, 01:27:44 PM »
Okay - tried the frozen biscuits. They beat any of the canned biscuits. Gonna try making some regular biscuits, and then freezing them.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2023, 07:49:31 PM »
Reading these post brought back fond memories of Mama making biscuits early each morning. Cat head biscuits rolled and then cut out with a old Vienna sausage can kept just for that purpose. Cooked in a cast iron skillet that I learned at an early age to not wash. That it must be handled with the care and dignity that it had earned. She did NOT bake them but cook them on top of the stove, and as the family watched and waited on her to finish breakfast, the conversation would always stop, and every eye watch as she skillfully flipped the biscuits in that pan into the air. Watched as they hovered above the stove, slowly made a 180 turn, and then as they fell back into the skillet, maneuvered so as to land centered, perfectly centered into a skillet that they filled fully.  I asked Daddy once if she had ever missed. He said they had been married for 0ver 60 years and had never seen it even come close, they dared not miss. Egg's, bacon, sausage, grits, milk, coffee, juice, those biscuits, and a bowl of gravy. When I was little, this was a daily event, but over the years, as my siblings married and moved out, it slowly because a Sunday only breakfast and then, a event only for when everyone was home. By then she need help, and had more than she wanted in the kitchen. Fussing, and being hit with a dish towel, but the biscuits, that was her job, and hers alone, as nobody else could ever flip them like she did.  Daddy would be 99 this year, and Mama 95, and yes I do miss them dearly. But I have so many good memories like those breakfast's, with her biscuits.

Cat Head biscuits, that’s a term I had to teach my wife lol

Never had biscuits done on the stovetop but I make my grandmother’s biscuits frequently. From when she was a young girl it was her kitchen job to make a daily batch of biscuits for her father’s lunch and the family breakfast (he ate his lunch biscuits by punching a hole in them and pouring in honey). My grandmother’s biscuits and my grandfather’s cornbread is how I carry on their traditions. I have her cast iron and his baking pan.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2023, 09:12:16 PM »
Purchased my first bag of pillsbury grands this morning.
Will report back.
Not bad at all. Made 2 and ate them with butter to accompany ham & eggs Excellent flavor, a little light. I like a heavier texture.
Will eat more.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2023, 06:54:10 AM »
I've heard of biscuits done on the stove top but I've never tried it.

If you google "stovetop biscuits" you'll see a lot of recipes. Some of them look really, really good...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2023, 11:38:47 AM »
When I bailed out about 2010, I abandoned a lot of things that folks take for granted... Because they acquired them over their lifetime. Lots of furniture, kitchen stuff, and so on. Hell, a lot of books were left.

You know that biscuit cutter that has been used in your family for decades?

Yesterday, I bought a new biscuit cutter. I had been cutting them square with a knife. Now I shall have round Bisquick biscuits.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2023, 12:04:58 PM »
I used to cut biscuits, and cookies, with a cat food tin. Perfect size for biscuits and also for sugar cookies.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2023, 03:58:10 PM »
Then I'd need to get a cat.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2023, 08:02:31 PM »
Then I'd need to get a cat.

Or talk to a friend who has a cat...

Or spend 49 cents for a can of cat food at the grocery store.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2023, 08:23:27 PM »

or a can of tuna, mushrooms, or spend $22 on Amazon and get all the biscuit tools.

https://www.amazon.com/HULISEN-Stainless-Scraper-Ergonomic-Professional/dp/B06VSBKJBQ/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=biscuit&qid=1678238526&s=kitchen&sr=1-24

I have this set but I only paid $9.99 for it several years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2023, 08:43:32 PM »
Then I'd have to get a friend.
Hey Mike, you got a cat?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2023, 09:02:42 PM »
I just use a drink glass to cut my biscuits.

Mason jar lid also works
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2023, 09:20:18 PM »

You haven't bought cat food in a while, have you?

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2023, 06:53:42 AM »
You haven't bought cat food in a while, have you?

bob

I bought real biscuit cutters.