Author Topic: Olive oil in coffee  (Read 2039 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Olive oil in coffee
« on: February 24, 2023, 10:25:26 AM »
https://www.eatthis.com/starbucks-olive-oil-coffee-reactions/?fbclid=IwAR1kP0EGT7p2SMNYGBFVZkucBNKk0-CVGyfsBGRvH62RNL2FojJ36y20e6A

I like good olive oil and I like good coffee, but I am not at all sure about combining them. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Olive oil in coffee
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 10:28:27 AM »
People put butter in their coffee, I guess olive oil would be somewhat similar.  I'd give it a try.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 10:51:06 AM »
I've tried butter and coconut oil in coffee when that one internet health guy was touting it. It was okay I guess. As much as I like coconut oil (I will use it in the pan for my powercakes instead of butter) I thought it was a bit off-putting in the coffee. I don't recall that the butter stood out much.

I don't know about the olive oil. It seems it would be more overpowering than coconut oil.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
^^^I remember reading about people putting MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) oil in their coffee for the health benefits.  I never looked into it or read the literature, and I wonder if it is still popular.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 11:06:06 AM »
^^^I remember reading about people putting MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) oil in their coffee for the health benefits.  I never looked into it or read the literature, and I wonder if it is still popular.

I had to look it up to remember, but it was "bulletproof coffee". The registered bulletproof coffee used MCT, but all the do it yourself recipes said either MCT or coconut oil, and pretty much the same effect.

Also, you're actually supposed to blend the bulletproof coffee, but that was too much trouble for me, so that might be why I tasted the oil more.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 11:07:49 AM »
No. Good christ no.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 02:37:11 PM »
If you have to chase the health benefits of olive oil please just drink 1/4 cup* of it straight every morning. It is much better than trying to adulterate some innocent beverage that is just fine the way it is.

bob

* Many years ago SWMBO had a co-worker who did this. He was alive is all I can say.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 10:31:30 PM »
Salads already exist...
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 11:22:43 AM »
I do butter in my coffee along with cream and sugar when it is 30-33 degrees and rain/snow/sleeting sideways. Feels good on a day like that. Otherwise black. I almost never use olive oil for anything because its flavor overtakes everything.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 11:47:14 AM »
"I almost never use olive oil for anything because its flavor overtakes everything. "

That depends on the type of olive oil.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or EVOO as Rachel Ray called it, is by far the most flavorful, and generally the most expensive. It's from the first press of the olives.

As further pressings extract more oil, the flavor becomes more and more neutral, to the point where light/extra light olive oil is almost as flavorless as straight vegetable oil.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 08:47:53 PM »
We use number one on this list. I don't do Costco so I get nothing there. The California Olive Ranch EVOO got some really good marks in Cook's Illustrated a few years ago so I started using it then.

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-olive-oils-according-to-chefs.html

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 07:23:01 AM »
California Olive Ranch is very good. I use it for salads and pasta where the sauce isn't cooked.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 01:53:05 PM »

I’ve tried MCT + Ghee in coffee. You have to mix it in a blender or you’ll just have a layer of oil on top, it makes one hell of a mess. The taste… not terrible, not great either, if you can choke it down, you won’t be hungry for several hours, but you’ll have this greasy film in your mouth.I do like the ghee for cooking, it doesn’t scorch like regular butter, so at least that isn’t a loss.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 04:57:38 PM »
I've tried butter and coconut oil in coffee when that one internet health guy was touting it. It was okay I guess. As much as I like coconut oil (I will use it in the pan for my powercakes instead of butter) I thought it was a bit off-putting in the coffee. I don't recall that the butter stood out much.

I don't know about the olive oil. It seems it would be more overpowering than coconut oil.

Ben,
If you are popping up some popcorn try using coconut oil instead of your normal oil.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 06:49:32 PM »
Why not just chug a pint of Husquvarna chain oil straight?

I'm betting that it tastes better than any of that crap in coffee...  [barf]

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 11:35:17 AM »
Why not just chug a pint of Husquvarna chain oil straight?

I'm betting that it tastes better than any of that crap in coffee...  [barf]
I prefer full synthetic 0W-20*, it’s cheaper, has the same consistency and doesn’t taste much different than MCT oil.

*I take no responsibility for anyone who actually does this.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama