Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Costco "Pre-Tenderized" Steaks

(1/4) > >>

Ben:
I have always liked getting my steak at Costco because I rarely get a tough steak. I had no idea that it was partially because they mechanically "pre-tenderize" the better cuts (rib eyes, filets, etc.). I wonder how common that is among the chain grocers, etc. that have substantial meat departments?

I need to try and closely examine the next pack of rib eyes that I buy there to see if I can see the punctures.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/1138657/the-mechanical-tenderization-process-behind-costco-steaks/

charby:
Where I live we have 2 grocery chains that are both known for having good meat. HyVee and Fareway, they both pride themselves on having Choice and Prime meat. The only mechanically tenderized meat I have seen are cuts sold as minute steaks, for making schnitzel, or chicken fried steaks.

The Midwest is blessed with having tons of cattle lots where feeder cattle are confined and finished on corn. Confinement and corn produces are really marbled steak. Even the pork sold in the two grocery stores I mention is why better than say at Aldi or Walmart.

I think of any quality cut of meat that need to be mechanically tenderized as a lesser graded cut of meat.

I'm guessing Costco is probably selling Select or Commercial grade of meat.

Ben:

--- Quote from: charby on December 18, 2022, 10:58:55 AM ---I'm guessing Costco is probably selling Select or Commercial grade of meat.

--- End quote ---

Costco only sells choice and prime.

charby:

--- Quote from: Ben on December 18, 2022, 11:03:48 AM ---Costco only sells choice and prime.

--- End quote ---

grass fed?

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: charby on December 18, 2022, 11:14:39 AM ---grass fed?

--- End quote ---

Technically, all beef is grass fed, but I digress...

Asking if a Prime cut is grass fed is generally a waste of time. Truly grass fed beef (or, more accurately, "grass finished") is normally too lean to garner even a Choice label, much less Prime. Cuts trumpeting "grass fed" but also carrying a USDA grade are usually cattle given just enough pasture time to meet some arbitrary minimal technical definition of pasture foraging, but still mainly finished on traditional feedlot rations.

Also keep in mind "Grass Fed" is not a certified label. Like "natural" labeling, which has morphed into pretty much whatever the producer wants it to be, "grass fed" has become more marketing term than Truth in Advertising.

Brad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version