Author Topic: ^%#(*&%^ people  (Read 669 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
^%#(*&%^ people
« on: December 23, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »
I have an Epson wide-format (13" x 19") ink jet printer that I bought for a specific project that never happened, so I never took it out of the box because I didn't want to print a test page and then let it sit and have the the ink dry and destroy the printheads. I've pretty much determined that the project isn't likely to happen, so I put the printer up for sale on Craigs List. Just had a call on it.

The printer is an Epson WorkForce WF-7620. It's a multi-function machine that also includes copy, scan, and fax capability -- and it can copy and scan up to 11x17 pages. It has now been discontinued and replaced by a newer model with similar capabilities. The original MSRP was $299.99. Knowing that it has been superseded, I priced it at $200.

The person who contacted me said she checked with both Epson and Staples and that they both told her the MSRP was $200, so she wanted me to lower my price. I checked several reviews from when the model was new, and they ALL list the MSRP as $299.99. That's also the MSRP for the replacement model with the same capabilities.

I get it -- she'd like to pay less than $200. On the other hand, I'd like to sell it for $300 -- but I understand that it's now a discontinued model. But it IS still brand new, in the sealed box. I think a 33% discount is a pretty good deal for a brand new printer -- considering that Amazon will sell you one for $800. If she wants to haggle price, make me an offer ... don't lie to me about the original price.

What is wrong with people?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
Re: ^%#(*&%^ people
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 02:48:02 PM »
Even if it is NIB the box, a lot of folks will still think of it as used.  And used stuff usually has more than a 33% discount.

Since you aren't the original seller, it is probably going to have no factory warranty (or store warranty for sure).  That is a big issue if the unit is defective.  Defective electronics out of the box aren't rare, at all.

I wouldn't buy electronics from a private party for only a 33% discount on a discontinued model either. 

If no one bites after a while, lower your price again.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 03:01:48 PM »
IMHO you're both right.  The price is kinda high (unless *you* want to guarantee it's not DOA), but she shouldn't lie about it either.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 09:10:34 PM »
You both have a case in the court of #$%^ people. I wouldn't and don't put up with the I can get it from xyz for a better price. Well, proceed. But if someone asked for a lot less price in a more honest manner your price is too high both in the sense of a discount off of new and in this case a particular product. I have walked past free  ink jet printers with new packs of ink included because I knew I was just going to have to buy lots more ink.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 09:41:51 PM »
I have walked past free  ink jet printers with new packs of ink included because I knew I was just going to have to buy lots more ink.

In general, I agree. The exception was that the printer in question can handle 13" x 19" paper, and I don't know of any consumer-grade or home/small office color laser printer that can do that.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 10:05:32 PM »
In general, I agree. The exception was that the printer in question can handle 13" x 19" paper, and I don't know of any consumer-grade or home/small office color laser printer that can do that.:

Unless someone needs that exact model or that specific feature, it's just one more used inklet printer. A discontinued one at that. There are thousands of them on Craigslist, Marketplace, and ebay. If the printer was still a current model, you might get somewhere close to your asking price from more particular buyers, but only the one in a thousand needing your specific offering.

Used electronics, especially ink jet printers, retain value about as well as strainers retain water. This goes double for specialty or higher-end inkjets where uniqueness often means much higher cartridge costs. Yeah, I know you have a bunch of money tied up in it and it's like new. That doesn't change the fact that it's an outdated model which is more expensive to feed than the many dozens of choices in new models. I think you should've taken the $200 and considered yourself extremely lucky.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 10:45:14 PM »
She didn't  offer $200. That's what I was asking (and the ad said "firm"). She wanted me to come down quite a bit from that, but the didn't name a figure. Don't know if she would have gone for $150, or if she would have held out for $100.

A racing friend used to call those kind of people "shags." They're the kind of people who haunt tag sales and garage sales, see something worth $50 being sold for $5 just to get rid of it, and they offer 50 cents. I'm tired of dealing with them. I'll give it to a church before I compromise with a shag.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 04:12:02 PM »
Update: I woke up Saturday morning to find three (3) messages from her, all saying she had changed her mind and that she wanted the printer for $200 -- and asking if she could get it, like, NOW! Maybe she looked on Amazon and saw that you can still buy this model new (allegedly) -- for $599 to $899.

I agreed to meet her at a location mid-way between our homes, and she is now the owner of a shiny new Epson WF-7620 multi-function printer. And I have gained a chunk of floor space in the corner of my living room, because that box is BIG.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 05:53:44 PM »
SWEET!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 06:22:57 PM »
Good!  I am glad I was wrong about the value of the printer.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 06:42:57 PM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."