Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Popcorn preferences (methods and toppings?)

(1/4) > >>

Kingcreek:
We like popcorn during winter months. A few years ago a family friend gave us a huge bag of Amish popcorn. It was really good and it led us to Lehman’s store as a source for a really good stove top popper - one with a heavy bottom, glass dome lid with a handcrank sweep, and a rubber port in the lid to add the corn when the test kernels start to pop and to add butter if desired.
As a traditionalist, it was perfect.
Have tried some different varieties of popping corn, some local, some Amish, etc.
We don’t see a great difference in corn but prefer the “no hull” type.
Instead of butter, we have now discovered Costco brand Parmesan with truffle and black garlic topping. I have tried it on other foods but somehow nothing else comes close to the taste of it on popcorn. Probably because the popcorn itself doesn’t add a lot of its own flavor.
Tried microwave and air poppers in the past but just not as good as stove top.
Still like sea salt and real butter but if you are a “popper” and a Costco shopper give it a try.
Anybody have any alternatives to recomend?

K Frame:
I prefer my popcorn with butter and very fine salt, or butter and powdered chicken bullion, or butter and powdered cheese.

charby:
Stir Crazy popper, white kernel corn from NW Iowa, oil with a pat of butter, and salt and pepper on top.

MillCreek:
KC, the popper you use is the same that I use to roast coffee.

Kingcreek:
I went off to college with a stir crazy popper 46 years ago. They work good.
We get the same result with the crank sweep on ours. The bottom of ours says patent applied for but I tried to look it up as a possible gift and I don’t see the same thing available. A similar one with metal vs glass lid and looks maybe not as heavy.
Side discussion. Anybody shop lehmans? If I ever drive through that area I want to check out their physical store.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version