Author Topic: Police chief fired grenade launcher given as gift by Ukraine, Polish media repor  (Read 813 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/16/poland-police-chief-jaroslaw-szymczyk-fired-grenade-launcher-gift-ukraine
I must have missed this story.  I am sure it was just an accidental discharge and no harm done. 

Polish prosecutors are investigating a “violent release of energy” at the national police headquarters amid media reports that the chief of police fired a grenade launcher in his office.

Poland’s interior ministry said on Thursday that Jarosław Szymczyk, the police commander in chief, was injured and taken to hospital when a present he received during a visit to Ukraine exploded at police headquarters in Warsaw.

Polish media reported that the present was a grenade launcher and that Szymczyk himself had accidentally fired it in his office, in what would be a serious breach of safety regulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmm7yBg9yhA
Saw this as part of Brandon Herrera's "The Worst Internet Gun Fails #11 - The Darwin Awards" video.  He indicates the grenade launcher was supposed to have been disabled.  Apparently it wasn't even unloaded.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
"Only the police should be allowed to have guns, because they've had the proper training."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
"Polish media reported that the blast had damaged a ceiling in the building." --Guardian

At least it was pointed in a safe direction, nyuck-nyuck-nyuck.

Was it an SKS?  They have a goomizigah disconnector - mag release - safety - trigger-system as well as being prone to slamfires because the free-floating firing pin gets stuck forward from dirt or getting thrown forward when the bolt stops on closure.

If an SKS, it wasn't an accident, it was probably a design defect or two.  Or three.  (Although live grenades --if that was the "blast" --shouldn't have been played with anyhow.)

Quick sample (SKS, dummy genade):
https://youtu.be/-yhEMeBoRFw (0:29)

Longer:
https://youtu.be/r24UxXb3enI (20:05)

Recommend starting at 10:00 or so.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:18:10 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
Some days you appreciate minimum arming distance more than other days.

HankB

• friend
(in Polish) "I'm the only one in this room that I know of professional enough to carry this Glock 40 grenade launcher"    :facepalm:

There are a number of things in this world I wouldn't mess with, even if I had access to them. Explosive military ordnance is part of that category.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
Meh.  Explosive military ordinance (in new, unfired condition) needs to be reasonably grunt-safe.  They tend to be stable, have safeties, and clear instructions, often with pictures. (FRONT, TOWARDS ENEMY for example)

UXO, or commercial explosives that assume training and competence from the user is scarier.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
UXO, or commercial explosives that assume training and competence from the user is scarier.

https://youtu.be/1evChUJshlU?t=279
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Meh.  Explosive military ordinance (in new, unfired condition) needs to be reasonably grunt-safe.  They tend to be stable, have safeties, and clear instructions, often with pictures. (FRONT, TOWARDS ENEMY for example) . . .
Sometimes grunts are remarkably inventive in unsafe handling.

https://www.storiesofthe448th.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Metfield-Bomb-Explosion-15th-July-1944-1.pdf

There are quite a few accounts on line of ammo/bomb dumps exploding in the US, Britain, Russia, the Pac Rim, Africa . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.

I was always amused by that.  It could be taken to mean "turn it around the other way, stupid"

Phrasing.  Editing.  Words have meaning.  Sometimes.

Even antique UXO is dangerous.  A couple of dudes who tried to empty the powder from unexploded Civil War cannon shells have been severely fragmented.

Hatcher found that even single-based rifle powder can be made to detonate. The test was firing a service rifle into a drum of some slow single-based powder, 4350 or 4198, I forget.  All went well until they plunked a round into the bottom of the drum, when it all detonated.

He also reports an incident when black powder was being transferred from small cans and dumped into a larger container.  They were opening the small steel cans with hatchets.  Guess what?

Never trust a nitrate.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend

I was always amused by that.  It could be taken to mean "turn it around the other way, stupid"

Phrasing.  Editing.  Words have meaning.  Sometimes.

Even antique UXO is dangerous.  A couple of dudes who tried to empty the powder from unexploded Civil War cannon shells have been severely fragmented.

Hatcher found that even single-based rifle powder can be made to detonate. The test was firing a service rifle into a drum of some slow single-based powder, 4350 or 4198, I forget.  All went well until they plunked a round into the bottom of the drum, when it all detonated.

He also reports an incident when black powder was being transferred from small cans and dumped into a larger container.  They were opening the small steel cans with hatchets.  Guess what?

Never trust a nitrate.
I guess the question I always asked was "So which side is the front?"  Maybe it should say "This side toward enemy".   =D 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
Yeah, exactly!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
      FRONT.<--
TOWARD ENEMY

2 independent statements. Needs a Period.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
I guess the question I always asked was "So which side is the front?"  Maybe it should say "This side toward enemy".   =D 

You guys know the other side says "back", right?

MechAg94

• friend
You guys know the other side says "back", right?
Never seen one.

dogmush

• friend
Yep, the Back is also labeled, although it doesn't say "Towards Friends".  It says "BACK, M18A1 APERS MINE"

Pb

• friend
Well, I'll be!

Hey everyone!  Dogmush is right!  This might never happen again!   ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Grunts must be pretty bad if they have to warned not to eat a freaking claymore.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
Oh, wow, I didn't even notice the warning not eat the land mine!   =D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:12:07 PM by Pb »

dogmush

• friend
That looks like the USMC version based on the warnings.   >:D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I've only ever seen the front. Wonder if that should tell me something?  :P
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Guys, calm down, it’s just a desk pop.

https://youtu.be/948-2Vzgi3w
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
Guys, calm down, it’s just a desk pop.

https://youtu.be/948-2Vzgi3w

Why is there blood dripping from the ceiling?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
If NYC he would have emptied the mag and then both spares, the rest of room would have joined in, and in total maybe hit the ceiling once
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:49:55 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes