Author Topic: Close your ammo box at the range  (Read 527 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Close your ammo box at the range
« on: December 30, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »
Don't think an ejected casing has enough force to set off a primer? It does

Here's Colion Noir with video evidence

Wow, Bullets Go Off Inside Ammo Box After Ejecting Shell Casing Strikes It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFe0RhoW7hA&t=0s
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Close your ammo box at the range
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 08:10:20 AM »
I saw that.  I agree with Colion.  I would have said it couldn't happen if not for the video. 

I still wonder if there was something unique about that ammo.  Were the primers particularly sensitive?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 08:20:25 AM »
I'm picturing an overweight guy who drove to the range helmetless on his motorcycle while smoking a cigarette taking the time to carefully close his ammo box every time he opens it based on this.

Not that the loss of a couple of rounds isn't irritating, or that someone couldn't catch a sliver of brass or something, but this isn't something I'll get worked up over.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 09:20:34 AM »
As a supposed internet expert, Colion should stop calling cartridges bullets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 12:26:04 PM »

That's racist of you to carry such expectations.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 01:18:41 PM »
I would be curious what his total audience is.  I suspect he has a lot of listeners who are not big gun people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 01:31:25 PM »
That's racist of you to carry such expectations.

Why? Noir is conservative thus is not really a black man.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
More dangerous (actually!) is hot brass gettting into where it shouldn't.  The struggle while holding a loaded firearm is the dicey (dangerous) part.

Primers do vary in sensitivity.  Apparenly, Eastern Hemisphere ammo has harder primer cups.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that most of European ammo was Berdan-primed or not.  Supposedly it's to reduce slam-firing.

No disrespect, but his name always amused me. Somehow it comes through my neural paths as "black ass."  No offense to anybody, that's just how my mind works linguistically, no so-called "racism" intended. <shrug>

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.