Author Topic: Garand Thumb Torture Testing a PSA Freedom Upper  (Read 210 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Garand Thumb Torture Testing a PSA Freedom Upper
« on: March 06, 2024, 08:08:25 AM »
Garand Thumb recently torture tested a PSA Freedom Rifle upper. He seemed kinda disappointed in it, but I thought it did darn good for a $300ish upper. About 99% of the testing was full auto with can, no lubrication. It started showing issues at 4000 rounds, and gave up around 5000 rounds. Technically still working, but groups went outside milspec, showing that the barrel was shot out.

Some of the comments mentioned the difference between a nitride barrel and a chrome lined barrel, and that a chrome lined barrel would have likely gone twice as long (though stuff like extractors would have still failed earlier). Also that without the torture test, ordinary care, and semi-auto, the barrel would have likely lasted a good 10K rounds.

It's a long video, but you can skip to around the 4000 round part to see where stuff starts popping up. The Asian Phil parts are also worth watching as that guy is a wealth of information.

It seems to me that despite GTs somewhat disappointed summary, that the video actually highlighted the good value of a PSA rifle. Stuff like extractors and even bolts are relatively cheap for their replacement schedule, and if the nitride barrel isn't good enough for you, going for a chrome lined barrel would still keep the rifle at a much less expensive entry price than even a BCM.

https://youtu.be/cHGtjx_2qbQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Garand Thumb Torture Testing a PSA Freedom Upper
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 08:59:54 AM »
. . . About 99% of the testing was full auto with can, no lubrication . . .
NO lubrication? Don't ARs generally like to be run "wet" unless you're in dusty/desert conditions? I know I keep mine lubed and they run fine. Admittedly, lacking an FA lower, I haven't run mine as hard as GT did, even during local carbine matches. But considering the cost and abuse, I think that $300 upper did well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 09:05:41 AM »
NO lubrication?

I was inaccurate as I think they lubed it one or two times, but as you say, probably not enough fore an AR, especially when run they way they did.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 12:02:24 PM »
I was thinking they could try a good copper solvent on the barrel.  They did say they were only cycling though 3 magazines.

It seemed to me that you could get that upper plus a spare upper and still be cheaper than the more expensive options.  A spare or upgraded bolt carrier group would solve the other problems they were having. 

For a person who wants an AR plus a case of ammo to just put away for the future, that rifle might be fine.  Most people aren't putting that many rounds through their AR in their lifetime. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 12:11:02 PM »
Remember a article or thread from maybe 15 years ago where someone ran 15k+ rounds of Wolf through an AR only once in awhile squirting oil in. It was caked up something awful but ran. IIRC they stop when a couple of lugs sheered off.

Apparently I'm not the only one who remembered it
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Anyone-remember-the-pics-of-the-AR-after-1-000-s-of-rounds-of-Wolf-/118-499497/&page=1
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 08:39:23 PM »
I thought he was fair.  It's  not "Just az gud!!!" As a more expensive, or built with better components upper, but it's serviceable.  He said it was plenty accurate until the barrel started to go, and he admitted he was running it hard.  Mike also flat said if the choice was between a BCM rifle, and a PSA and a case of ammo to train with, get the PSA.

I thought it was an interesting look at what you actually get, and what you might be sacrificing with less expensive parts.  Someone can now make an informed buying decision based on their needs and use case.

FWIW, I have shot out a nitride (non psa) 10.5 barrel. Mostly suppressed,  but not auto, and it took me about 7500 rounds.  It failed almost exactly how that PSA did, except I had more gas port erosion.

A whole lot of gun owners could buy that upper and run it 10-15 years before wearing anything out, and that's a pretty solid value.