Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 40995 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #600 on: October 17, 2023, 07:00:40 PM »
Apparently, new evidence has come to light.  Enough to cause the special prosecutors in the case to empanel another grand jury to consider criminal charges against Baldwin.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-could-face-new-criminal-charges-as-rust-shooting-heads-back-grand-jury
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #601 on: January 19, 2024, 03:09:41 PM »
Officially charged

Alec Baldwin has been charged with involuntary manslaughter by a New Mexico grand jury, more than two years after accidentally shooting cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of his ill-fated western film Rust.

The indictment was returned on Friday and charges Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter on the grounds of negligent use of a firearm and disregard for others' safety.

If convicted, Baldwin faces up to 18 months in prison. 

Previous charges, filed by New Mexico prosecutors, were dismissed in April last year.
Baldwin was practicing drawing the prop weapon from his holster when he claims it fired spontaneously.

He has always been adamant that he did not pull the trigger.

But a new report by Lucien Haag of Forensic Science Services in Arizona states that the trigger 'had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver.'

Even if convicted I highly doubt he'll serve any time but we shall see

Alec Baldwin is charged with involuntary manslaughter for Rust shooting by New Mexico grand jury
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12984687/Alec-Baldwin-charged-involuntary-manslaughter-Rust-shooting-New-Mexico-grand-jury.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #602 on: January 19, 2024, 03:47:28 PM »
Sounds like it's time for Alec Baldwin to renew his commitment to passing common sense gun safety reforms, and banning assault weapons.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #603 on: January 19, 2024, 04:02:31 PM »
Sounds like it's time for Alec Baldwin to renew his commitment to passing common sense gun safety reforms, and banning assault weapons.

<sarcasm>
This tragedy never would have happened if we had universal background checks.
</sarcasm>
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #604 on: January 19, 2024, 04:11:57 PM »
No one needs 6 bullets.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #605 on: January 20, 2024, 05:10:14 AM »
Officially charged

Even if convicted I highly doubt he'll serve any time but we shall see

Alec Baldwin is charged with involuntary manslaughter for Rust shooting by New Mexico grand jury
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12984687/Alec-Baldwin-charged-involuntary-manslaughter-Rust-shooting-New-Mexico-grand-jury.html

I'd love to see him convicted. He should spend some time in prison but, even if he never spends a day behind bars, it will nonetheless be a wonderful day if that pompous ahole is officially convicted and his protestations of innocence are officially, legally refuted.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #606 on: January 22, 2024, 05:27:57 AM »
From the cited article:

But a new report by Lucien Haag of Forensic Science Services in Arizona states that the trigger 'had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver.'

I'm not so sure about the relevancy there because of the "fully cocked or retracted" qualification.

Isn't it possible to withdraw the hammer not-quite-to-the half-cock-notch, then let it slip from the thumb so that it strikes the primer, albeit lightly?  Without using the trigger.

I don't have any SA revolvers any more so I can't test this gun-in-hand, but I don't think the cylinder has rotated yet under this situation.  I think the pawl must be just barely peeping out of the recoil plate without rotating the cylinder.

It would be a light primer strike, but if the operation were repeated a number of times, I can see it setting off the primer.  Sort of like hangfires, where if you cock and "fire" again, they may go off.

Nevertheless, as I say, "never point a gun where you can't fix the hole."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:41:12 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #607 on: January 22, 2024, 09:34:17 AM »
From the cited article:

I'm not so sure about the relevancy there because of the "fully cocked or retracted" qualification.

Isn't it possible to withdraw the hammer not-quite-to-the half-cock-notch, then let it slip from the thumb so that it strikes the primer, albeit lightly?  Without using the trigger.

Baldwin's statements at the time were that he pulled the hammer back as far as it would go. I believe he even demonstrated that on his television interview after the shooting (which I didn't watch).

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #608 on: January 22, 2024, 10:23:51 AM »
From the cited article:

I don't have any SA revolvers any more so I can't test this gun-in-hand, but I don't think the cylinder has rotated yet under this situation.  I think the pawl must be just barely peeping out of the recoil plate without rotating the cylinder.

It would be a light primer strike, but if the operation were repeated a number of times, I can see it setting off the primer.  Sort of like hangfires, where if you cock and "fire" again, they may go off.

Nevertheless, as I say, "never point a gun where you can't fix the hole."

Terry, 230RN

Remember these guns are not originals but reproductions by Uberti or F.lli Pietta so there may be some safely features in them that may not have been present in the originals. I have a Uberti 1851 that has the same, or near enough, action to the 1873 (?). I may pull it out of the safe and mess with it. Note though there are some reports Baldwin's 1873's trigger was modified but reports vary greatly what on they mean by modified
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:44:10 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #609 on: January 22, 2024, 10:40:06 AM »
Remember these guns are not originals but reproductions by Uberti or F.lli Pietta so there may be some safely features in them that may have not been present in the originals. I have a Uberti 1851 that has the same, or near enough, action to the 1873 (?). I may pull it out of the safe and mess with it. Note though there are some reports Baldwin's 1873's trigger was modified and reports vary greatly what they mean by modified
I heard a report that the gun had to be repaired with parts replaced in order to do the forensic testing. That seems to be utterly contrary to what I would think are evidentiary procedures, since they wouldn't be testing the gun as actually used.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-20/alec-baldwin-grand-jury-involuntary-manslaughter-shooting-rust/103371264

From the link above, about halfway down:
The analysis from experts in ballistics and forensic testing relied on replacement parts to reassemble the gun fired by Baldwin, after parts of the pistol were broken during testing by the FBI. The report examined the gun and markings it left on a spent cartridge to conclude that the trigger had to have been pulled or depressed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #610 on: January 22, 2024, 11:06:49 AM »
Here is the report in question.  These folks picked up the evidence in 2023 as part of the armorer's trial.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Aug.-15-2023-Defendants-Motion-Requesting-Jury-Instructions-on-Causation-exhibit-b.pdf

It doesn't outright say it, but it implies the broken pieces were broken by the FBI in the course of their testing, right after the shooting.  They also measured the broken pieces and found them to be dimensionally correct (except for the breaks). So the experts are saying the gun was working properly at the time of the shooting.

Additionally the parts on the firing pin indention depth and placement are interesting, because it proves the hammer got all the way to full cock before being dropped, which again strongly implies the trigger being held back, as the half and quarter cock notches were intact, and didn't stop it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #611 on: February 26, 2024, 07:42:27 AM »
Found live rounds mixed in with the dummies on set.
Basically it appears she was incompetent* but Baldwin as producer also bears responsibility for both hiring her, keeping her on set despite it being obvious she was incompetent, and the general lack of safety on set.

Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's manslaughter trial is shown photo of shambolic Rust ammo cart strewn with dummy rounds in grim image taken after Alec Baldwin killed cinematographer
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13116167/Rust-armorer-Hannah-Gutierrez-Reed-ammo-cart-Alec-Baldwin-Halyna-Hutchins.html

*I'm sure the reported drug use didn't help
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 12:46:27 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2024, 09:46:39 AM »
I want to see investigation into the chain of custody for the revolver as it made its way to FBI forensics and was then broken.

Ubertis are not poorly made.  If it didn't break on set, I rather doubt it broke while being inspected and fired by a forensic technician.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #613 on: February 26, 2024, 12:43:08 PM »
I'm guessing that the feebs whomped on the hammer with something to see if they could make it go forward...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #614 on: February 26, 2024, 07:06:56 PM »
I want to see investigation into the chain of custody for the revolver as it made its way to FBI forensics and was then broken.

Ubertis are not poorly made.  If it didn't break on set, I rather doubt it broke while being inspected and fired by a forensic technician.

I'm guessing that the feebs whomped on the hammer with something to see if they could make it go forward...

About that

Alec Baldwin's claim that he never pulled the trigger of the gun he used to accidentally shoot dead a cinematographer was challenged today in court by an FBI firearms expert.

Bryce Ziegler, an agent with the FBI firearms unit who examined the gun Baldwin used, said he had to break the gun with a mallet to get it to fire without using the trigger.

Ziegler, appearing for the prosecution, said that couldn't have happened on the set of Rust because the gun was in working order when it came to him.

His analysis contradicts claims by Baldwin that he only pulled back the hammer on the vintage-looking pistol.

The FBI agent gave evidence during the trial of Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 26, the armorer for Rust
Ziegler told the court that he conducted extensive testing on the firearm that Baldwin was using to practice with.

In his lab the only way he could get the gun to fire without pulling the trigger was by hitting it with a mallet and that resulted in the gun being damaged on the inside.

Prosecutor Kari Morrissey said: 'In order for you to make the gun fire without pulling the trigger you had to break it?'

Ziegler said: 'That's what I had to do in my lab.

'It would not fire without pulling the trigger in the fully cocked setting without being broken.'

Alec Baldwin HAD to have pulled the trigger of the gun that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, says FBI firearms expert who claims it's nearly impossible that it would go off otherwise
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13128369/FBI-firearms-expert-Alec-Baldwin-pull-trigger-Hannah-Gutierrez-Reed.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #615 on: February 26, 2024, 07:08:07 PM »
So yep, the FBI broke the gun trying to get it to fire without pulling the trigger.
So much For Baldwin's claim he didn't pull the trigger.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #616 on: February 27, 2024, 07:00:04 AM »
About that

Alec Baldwin HAD to have pulled the trigger of the gun that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, says FBI firearms expert who claims it's nearly impossible that it would go off otherwise
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13128369/FBI-firearms-expert-Alec-Baldwin-pull-trigger-Hannah-Gutierrez-Reed.html

I think we all knew that already, but it's nice to see it formally confirmed. And it's also nice to finally understand how the FBI managed to break a functional firearm in testing it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #617 on: February 27, 2024, 07:45:29 AM »
And for those wondering why Baldwin wasn't using a fake gun.
According to this guy Baldwin insisted on using a real gun because he liked the feel of them over the fakes and liked to "whip it out"

And also it appears Baldwin went off script  for the scene

In the footage Baldwin can be heard saying he was going to ‘whip it out’ even though the scene only called for him to show the handle.

Remember he's a highly vocal rabid anti-gunner

He also goes on how everything felt rushed which impacted safely

Rust crew member tells court Alec Baldwin insisted on using a real weapon because he loved the feel of 'hero props' and claims nobody could stand up to him because he was the 'big boss'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13128887/Alec-Baldwin-Rust-court-trial-Halyna-Hutchins.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #618 on: March 06, 2024, 07:53:29 AM »
Some gun handling video from the trial.

https://youtu.be/Y9t6uaXwRGY
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #619 on: March 06, 2024, 08:08:22 AM »
Some gun handling video from the trial.

https://youtu.be/Y9t6uaXwRGY
One minute and 16 seconds into the video, and he has already lost all credibility.

"If it's a real gun, yes."

Wrong answer.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #620 on: March 06, 2024, 08:13:58 AM »
One minute and 16 seconds into the video, and he has already lost all credibility.

"If it's a real gun, yes."

Wrong answer.

These replicas are real guns, what an idiot! :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #621 on: March 06, 2024, 07:47:33 PM »
The armorer for the Alec Baldwin movie Rust has been found guilty in the shooting death of the film's cinematographer.

A jury found that Hannah Gutierrez-Reed negligently allowed a live bullet to get into the gun on the set of Western that Baldwin used to accidentally shoot dead Halyna Hutchins, the movie's cinematographer.

After two hours of deliberations at the courthouse in Santa Fe, New Mexico, a jury found Gutierrez-Reed guilty on the manslaughter count, but acquitted her on a charge of tampering with evidence.

Gutierrez-Reed, 26, the daughter of respected film industry armorer Thell Reed, faces up to 18 months in jail. She showed little emotion as the verdicts were read, but a family member broke down while sitting behind the now-convicted felon.

Judge Mary Sommer remanded Gutierrez-Reed in custody telling her the reason is because, 'you are now convicted [...] it's criminal negligence, but still a death.'

The verdict seemingly spells trouble for Baldwin, 65, when he goes on trial in July in the same courthouse for involuntary manslaughter. If found guilty he faces 18 months in jail as well.
Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed is found guilty of involuntary manslaughter over shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13164897/Rust-Hannah-Gutierrez-Reed-involuntary-shooting-death-cinematographer-Halyna-Hutchins-trial-verdict.html

Alec is up next
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #622 on: March 06, 2024, 07:57:31 PM »
She bears some responsibility, but if I read between the lines here, she might have been bullied by Baldwin.

"Hannah Gutierrez knew that Baldwin was loose. She knew it," special prosecutor Kari Morrissey said during closing arguments. "She didn't do anything about it, even though it was her job. It was her job. It is her job to say to an A-list actor, if in fact, that's what you want to call him, 'Hey, you can't behave that way with those firearms.' That is her job. That is what they pay her for. That is the job that she applied for. That is the job that she accepted."

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-rust-armorer-convicted-involuntary-manslaughter
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #623 on: March 07, 2024, 08:35:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jfL3Js9LA

Here they went into a good amount of technical detail. Fun to watch (if you are into guns)
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"