Author Topic: Amazon strikes again  (Read 2450 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Amazon strikes again
« on: January 01, 2023, 04:16:59 PM »
I had two packages that were due to be delivered yesterday (December 31). When I checked the tracking on Amazon's web site, both orders showed that they had arrived at a carrier facility (an actual Amazon distribution center in a former Sam's Club building about 12 miles from my house) and were out for delivery.

They never arrived. The tracking now shows they returned to the carrier facility at 7:35 p.m. No new delivery date -- it now just shows "Running Late."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Amazon strikes again
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 09:01:30 PM »
Speaking from my military logistics experience, the most common reason a shipment might be flagged as "out for delivery" but not show up that day is when the package is loaded on the "wrong" truck. The truck is loaded by the warehouse crew; the driver is supposed to verify that everything on there belongs on their normal run, but often they don't realize something is off their route until they've already left - and by then, it's not their responsibility to deviate and make an extra stop unless it's First Overnight or Standard Overnight. Frequently we get overnight shipments late, around 1500, and the most common excuse is that it was on the wrong truck and they had to either deviate to the base or pass off the delivery to the proper truck/driver.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 07:23:01 AM »
I was supposed to have two packages from Best Buy via UPS delivered Saturday.

Neither showed up. One is showing as being rescheduled for tomorrow, the other one? Still sitting at the Best Buy shipping location, never having been picked up.

That's the new sound bar and wall mount for my new TV.

At least that's supposedly coming between 1:30 and 5:30 today.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 01:12:29 PM »
My guess is that, being Christmas Eve, the driver looked at the time somewhere in his route (probably around 6:30 to 7:00 p.m.) realized that he was nowhere near finished, and said "Screw it." Tracking showed both orders as out for delivery all day, then they were scanned back in at the delivery depot at 7:35 p.m.

The quality of the drivers for these "independent contractor" Amazon delivery companies if very much hit and miss. Two winters ago, the snow plow knocked my mailbox off the post. I happened to look out the window as an Amazon driver stopped, picked it up, and placed it back on the pedestal. Much more recently, once a few weeks ago and once on Wednesday, I have had deliveries that tracking said were "handed to resident." Since I'm the only resident here and I know nobody handed me anything, that set off alarm bells. The earlier one was eventually found -- in the weeds behind the mailbox, out by the side of the road. The one on Wednesday was dropped on the grass next to the driveway in front of the house. There were wheel tracks on the grass -- my guess is the driver nosed onto the grass, dropped the package out the window, and then boogied.

No photos in either of those incidents, and I know they are (theoretically) required to take a photo. Once, I was in the driveway working on my Jeep when the Amazon truck pulled in. I figured I could save the guy a few steps and seconds (as I have often done with UPS and the USPS), so I walked over to the truck and offered to just accept the package. He declined -- he said he had to take a photo, so I showed him where to put it, he took his photo, and off he went.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 08:09:28 AM »
Ugh. In another thread, I talked about ordering a sight pusher. Everything else in that order arrived last week. The sight pusher is still MIA and Amazon won't let me cancel the order until Wednesday.

The crackup is that according to both Amazon and USPS tracking, it started its journey at the fulfillment center 50 miles from my house, then somehow made it to Missouri, and for the last week has been in Colorado. Apparently, from the tracking notes, it has been in Amazon's hands the whole time and was not yet transferred to USPS.

Of course par for the course, it was the one thing in that order that I wanted fast, as the sights that I want to install have been sitting here for a week.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 08:44:29 AM »
So it's being pushed all over the place except for your house.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 09:35:50 AM »
I guess I can feel lucky.  The only issues I have had lately are simple delays, usually not all that long.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 09:39:39 AM »
My Eyevac (granted, I ordered that from the company, not Amazon) came yesterday, right on time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 09:45:06 AM »
I guess I can feel lucky.  The only issues I have had lately are simple delays, usually not all that long.

I have to say Amazon orders have been going smoothly for me for a good while, so a glitch was bound to happen.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 10:14:38 AM »
I have to say Amazon orders have been going smoothly for me for a good while, so a glitch was bound to happen.  =)
Most of my issues are when the delivery involves the USPS in some way.  Normally it is just delayed shipment such as the packages goes on a side trip or sits at a distribution center for a few days.  With people like Fedex, it is just a delay.  Had a package scheduled to deliver Saturday, but it never showed "out for delivery" status.  It was delivered Sunday instead.  I guess they were overloaded.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »
Most of my issues are when the delivery involves the USPS in some way.  Normally it is just delayed shipment such as the packages goes on a side trip or sits at a distribution center for a few days.  With people like Fedex, it is just a delay.  Had a package scheduled to deliver Saturday, but it never showed "out for delivery" status.  It was delivered Sunday instead.  I guess they were overloaded.

Have had several packages arrive at an Amazon distribution center less than 100 miles away and then disappear into a USPS blackhole then reappear after doing a 5 state tour a week or more later.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 10:45:02 AM »
Ever since the debacle a half or so year ago, where Amazon eliminated their delivery vans in like half the country, 80% of my Amazon deliveries have been with USPS. They have actually been doing a good job in my neck of the woods.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 10:55:28 AM »
We had a really good record with Amazon going.  Right items delivered on time without damage.  Lick ran out this weekend.  Package to be delivered to my son's apartment at college.  Nothing overly important, some fun stuff he needs for a frat thing.  Photo of the delivery shows it being left at a door with doormat on a wooden floor.  Except he has no doormat outside, and the flooring outside his door is concrete.  Driver dumped it at the wrong apartment.  Since his complex has eight buildings, with 12 apartments in each building, someone he doesn't know might be enjoying a new Nerf gun.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 09:09:12 PM »
Ever since the debacle a half or so year ago, where Amazon eliminated their delivery vans in like half the country, 80% of my Amazon deliveries have been with USPS. They have actually been doing a good job in my neck of the woods.

Just the opposite around here. Over the past year or maybe two years, the number of Amazon delivery vans I see on the roads has increased exponentially.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 09:56:39 PM »
I guess I am not far enough from Houston.  Amazon vans deliver most of their stuff to me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 07:48:12 AM »
Apparently Amazon is really screwing with me this week. The tracking info on the sight pusher has just disappeared, so I assume they lost it in their system and after tomorrow, when they finally refund my money, I'll just need to order another one.

A different item ordered last week is also making the rounds. Below is the Amazon tracking info followed by the USPS tracking info:

Tuesday, February 14
3:29 AM
Package left an Amazon facility.
Boise, Idaho US
2:47 AM
Package left the carrier facility.
Boise, ID US
Monday, February 13
1:20 PM
Package arrived at an Amazon facility.
Boise, Idaho US
Sunday, February 12
1:44 AM
Boise, ID US
1:29 AM
Newark, CALIFORNIA US
Saturday, February 11
11:47 PM
Newark, CALIFORNIA US
2:11 PM
Boise, ID US
1:53 PM
San Bernardino, CALIFORNIA US
6:45 AM
San Bernardino, CALIFORNIA US
Carrier picked up the package.
Friday, February 10
8:00 PM
Boise, ID US

-----------------------------------------------------------------
On Its Way to USPS

Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item

BOISE, ID 83716

February 14, 2023, 2:47 am
Shipping Partner: AMAZON

BOISE, ID 83716

February 12, 2023, 1:44 am

BOISE, ID 83716

February 11, 2023, 2:11 pm

BOISE, ID 83716

February 10, 2023, 8:00 pm

Picked Up by Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item

BOISE, ID 83716

February 10, 2023, 9:19 am

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2023, 05:33:36 PM »
There was a story on the news last night about a woman who had sent her son in college a "care package" of clothes.  Because it took USPS 28 days to return the package to her (after a multi-state, bi-coastal trip), she had to repurchase the items and send a second parcel.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2023, 07:48:00 PM »
Daughter #2 is headed to Atqasuk, Alaska, 50 miles inland from the city formerly known as Barrow. This is for a summer college work session doing data collection and other botany/biology field work.
Wife and I are expecting summons to send several parcels over the summer, anything from boots to whatever else isn't available or costs a thousand dollars in the arctic bush. 
In the program's introductory material the Professor-In-Charge insists that USPS takes remote delivery very seriously. Over the previous decade he's experienced reliable and suprisingly fast delivery by the postal service.
We shall see, we shall see.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:05:21 PM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2023, 09:08:38 PM »
Formerly known as Barrow?  When did it change?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2023, 10:14:35 PM »
Wife and I are expecting summons to send several parcels over the summer, anything from boots to whatever else isn't available or costs a thousand dollars in the arctic bush.

Instant Ramen and Sterno
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2023, 10:15:04 PM »

I was wondering the same thing. And what did it change to?

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2023, 11:04:47 PM »
A Barrow city referendum in 2016 changed the name back to the original "Utqiagvik" says wikipedia.
And the inland outpost is called Atqasuk. Edited in my other post. I try to use the preferred names but it gets so difficult keeping all those consonants in order.
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 07:54:13 AM »
This morning they're not doing the "cancel with the push of a button". They're making me contact them through customer service to cancel the order. I've never seen that before for a lost order - it has always been "one click" in the past.

I also see why it's "running late". It is now being advertised for $150 instead of $120, so this must be a way to not honor the discounted price that I got. I've had that happen before. Some item is a really great price, I buy it, then there is a "shipping problem" that ends up with the order being cancelled and when I look at the item page again, the item is a much higher price.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2023, 08:06:49 AM »

I also see why it's "running late". It is now being advertised for $150 instead of $120, so this must be a way to not honor the discounted price that I got. I've had that happen before. Some item is a really great price, I buy it, then there is a "shipping problem" that ends up with the order being cancelled and when I look at the item page again, the item is a much higher price.

I've had that happened a couple of times and had the same thoughts
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2023, 08:28:26 AM »
This morning they're not doing the "cancel with the push of a button". They're making me contact them through customer service to cancel the order. I've never seen that before for a lost order - it has always been "one click" in the past.

I've had that happen in the past and that is a 100% guaranteed "Screw you, I'm buying from your competitor" situation.