Author Topic: As of 02JAN23 We Have 25 Constitutional Carry States  (Read 2818 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
As of 02JAN23 We Have 25 Constitutional Carry States
« on: January 02, 2023, 07:56:36 AM »
Well, as of today, we made it to 50% of the states for constitutional carry. Some of the MSM articles have been pretty funny in their "blood in the streets" reporting. I saw one huffpo article attempt to throw the whole electoral/popular vote population thing into it by stating that the 25 states only have 1/3 of the US population.

I can't wait till we get a majority of states. West of the Rockies, we've likely got all we're going to get, so it's up to some of you guys East of the Rockies to get us there.  =)

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/types-of-concealed-carry-licensurepermitting-policies/unrestricted/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: As of 02JAN23 We Have 25 Constitutional Carry States
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 08:03:07 AM »
It would be nice to see it in Virginia, but Virginia Republicans are too freaking gutless to attempt it, and even if it happened, when the Democrats got back into power they'd repeal it like they did with the "one state, one law" approach to gun laws a  few years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 08:05:52 AM »
At a quick glance, Florida seems like the most likely option.

Would any of you have believed the 2023 constitutional carry map back in the late 90s?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 08:13:02 AM »
At a quick glance, Florida seems like the most likely option.

I agree, though I admit that I am apparently completely unaware of Eastern/Southern state politics. Besides FL, I would have thought LA would have been a shoe-in, and the two Carolinas appear to be not at all what I thought they were. Also in the Midwest, I would also have thought NE would have been an easy win.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 08:23:50 AM »
Well, as of today, we made it to 50% of the states for constitutional carry. Some of the MSM articles have been pretty funny in their "blood in the streets" reporting. I saw one huffpo article attempt to throw the whole electoral/popular vote population thing into it by stating that the 25 states only have 1/3 of the US population.

I can't wait till we get a majority of states. West of the Rockies, we've likely got all we're going to get, so it's up to some of you guys East of the Rockies to get us there.  =)

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/types-of-concealed-carry-licensurepermitting-policies/unrestricted/

Given that Ill-i-<deleted>-noise was the last state to get CCW, and only got it by losing in court, I doubt we'll see it here.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 08:56:52 AM »
It would be nice to see it in Virginia, but Virginia Republicans are too freaking gutless to attempt it, and even if it happened, when the Democrats got back into power they'd repeal it like they did with the "one state, one law" approach to gun laws a  few years ago.

Pretty much ditto here in Colorado.  They also rescinded the statewide pre-eminence in concealed carry, letting it revert to individual jurisdictions.

It wasn't OK, but it was understandable that "home rule" jusrisdictions could limit concealed carry, but my understanding is that now just about any piddleydip jusrisdiction can do it on its own, so we're back to the patchwork pattern of laws and you never know without diligent research whether you cross a border into "limited" territory or not.  Thank you, Governor Polis.

I used to joke about needing to haul a trailer full of law books around with you to keep on the straight and narrow. We may be going back to that again.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:15:40 AM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 09:49:11 AM »
We, Louisiana, got close but not yet I'm afraid.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 10:29:07 AM »
I agree, though I admit that I am apparently completely unaware of Eastern/Southern state politics. Besides FL, I would have thought LA would have been a shoe-in, and the two Carolinas appear to be not at all what I thought they were. Also in the Midwest, I would also have thought NE would have been an easy win.

North Carolina will not get CC any time soon with our lefty governor.  I think there is a better chance South Carolina might get CC some day.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 12:21:35 PM »
Well, here's the view out my front door this morning.... wish me luck!  I've got venture out and do some shopping.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 02:08:25 PM »
North Carolina will not get CC any time soon with our lefty governor.  I think there is a better chance South Carolina might get CC some day.

NC is unfortunately getting California’d and New Yorked pretty bad. Lots of northerners move down to either NC straight away or down to FL, don’t like the heat, and move halfway back to NC and *expletive deleted*ck that state over. The rivers of blood will literally occur there when Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo finally kicks off.

SC politics are unfortunately old money GOP controlled and quite FUDD. We JUST got open carry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 05:10:56 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 02:49:11 PM »
NC is definitely trending purple.  Every election cycle seems to deepen the shade.  It's something I've noticed since moving here in Jan. 2014.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 05:00:33 PM »
NC is definitely trending purple.  Every election cycle seems to deepen the shade.  It's something I've noticed since moving here in Jan. 2014.

It's the "creeping crud" !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 05:38:09 PM »
It's the "creeping crud" !

more like gangrene. Once it starts you have to completely excise it from the body or it will kill you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 05:41:22 PM »

Ooo-ooo, I gots an idea!

I wonder if we can actually invite / accept all those so-called "migrants" to our States and provide them with free housing and amenities if they agree to an ironbound duty to forever after vote Republican or Independent or Libertarian or whatever party comes along to replace the defunct and decaying Repubican party?

The freebies ought to satisfy the burning "do-gooder"  passions of the liberals and other "oh, you poor dear" ladies who welcome them and yet bolster the representation of the red States.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 05:54:57 PM by 230RN »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 07:45:14 PM »

If it was not so corrupt here in NV we would already have it.
The current governor here was anti gun until he ran for governor, if  all we can hope for in NV is that he doesn't make things worse.
PPL in Florida seem to be mostly excops from NYC, they're pretend pro-gun folks and freak out over open carry and constitutional carry
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 10:08:05 AM »
NC is unfortunately getting California’d and New Yorked pretty bad. Lots of northerners move down to either NC straight away or down to FL, don’t like the heat, and move halfway back to NC and *expletive deleted*ck that state over. The rivers of blood will literally occur there when Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo finally kicks off.

SC politics are unfortunately old money GOP controlled and quite FUDD. We JUST got open carry.
I think that is a big part of the resistance in Red states.  A lot of ranking Republicans are not all that thrilled about gun rights.  I was a little surprised CC sailed through at the last minute in Texas.  I think the TSRA and GOA pushed sponsored a lot of people to contact their representatives which helped a lot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023, 09:06:46 AM »
Nebraska Constitutional Carry Bill Passes Critical Vote
https://www.ammoland.com/2023/03/nebraska-constitutional-carry-bill-passes-critical-vote/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)#axzz7vNvAXCP1

Might be close to getting one more.  Black Democrats crossed party lines to vote for it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 11:22:12 AM »
https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2023/02/21/permitless-carry-gun-parkland-desantis-constitutional/

We're taking baby steps I guess.  I would have preferred open carry to be included, but some of the old school southern cops are just terrified of citizens with guns.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 11:34:39 AM »
https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2023/02/21/permitless-carry-gun-parkland-desantis-constitutional/

We're taking baby steps I guess.  I would have preferred open carry to be included, but some of the old school southern cops are just terrified of citizens with guns.

That actually got me wondering:

1) Have any other states instituted "constitutional carry" that doesn't include open carry (which kinda defeats the "constitutional" part, though it's better than nothing)?

2) I know that some states have, or at least had, "brandishing" laws that included printing, or your shirt riding up or similar that exposes your gun and leaves you open to some type of enforcement. At least from stickler cops.

So for FL or any other states that might have "concealed only" constitutional carry, I'm curious if they have removed overly strict "brandishing" laws or are otherwise protecting people from getting popped for a shirt that rides up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023, 11:55:50 AM »

NE has all it will get.  Three states have constitutional carry:  Vermont (the first in the nation), Maine, and NH.  The other three never will: MA, CT, RI.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2023, 12:23:10 PM »
So for FL or any other states that might have "concealed only" constitutional carry, I'm curious if they have removed overly strict "brandishing" laws or are otherwise protecting people from getting popped for a shirt that rides up?

So that's an interesting question:

FL's brandishing law requires intent, and is not, IMO overly strict:

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Although, I guess "careless" could subject you to the whims of a zealous officer. 
Several years ago there were cops in South FL that were arresting CWP holders that they did not like if they saw a flash of gun, or it printed.  Since FL doesn't have open carry, those cops were using the Open carry law to arrest folks they deemed undesirable.  It got enough attention that the Legislature amended the open carry law.  (bolding mine)

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

And it looks like the current "Constitutional Carry" bill also amends 790.053 to extend that "brief display" immunity to unlicensed, legal carriers.

Quote from: FL Senate Bill 150
amending s. 790.053, F.S.;
35 specifying that it is not a violation of specified
36 provisions for persons authorized to carry a concealed
37 weapon or concealed firearm without a license to
38 briefly and openly display a firearm under specified
39 circumstances;

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 01:15:41 PM »
specifying that it is not a violation of specified
36 provisions for persons authorized to carry a concealed
37 weapon or concealed firearm without a license to
38 briefly and openly display a firearm under specified
39 circumstances;

So while it's good that they are addressing the issue, man, do I hate terms like "specified circumstances". California has a ton of that stuff, like the example language of:

"Illegal with the following exceptions", then they list like 37 exceptions that are also unclear. Makes for easy pickings for bad cops, and utter confusion for anyone who's not a lawyer.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 01:18:46 PM »

The theory I've heard about Florida is that open carry would be too alarming for lefty tourists, and other foreigners.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 01:30:50 PM »
The theory I've heard about Florida is that open carry would be too alarming for lefty tourists, and other foreigners.

Perhaps that also plays a role, but every time in the last decade or so it comes up it's the FL cops that shut it down.

As it was this time:  https://thecapitolist.com/senate-president-says-no-to-open-carry-policy/

DeSantis wants it, but the Legislature won't pass it without the Sheriff's endorsement, and the Sheriff's don't endorse Open Carry. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2023, 04:52:16 AM »
on youtube there are a few guys who open carry in Florida while fishing. It's legal as long as you are hiking/camping/fishing ( ianal/afaik)
The cops almost always freak out, when I open carry in Reno, no one says anything, a few notice and cops never care.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."