Author Topic: A new, ultra-reliable 10mm  (Read 636 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
A new, ultra-reliable 10mm
« on: January 03, 2023, 10:01:16 AM »
Okay, sure, the title is a little tongue-in-cheek, but also quite accurate.

I give you the Hi-Point JXP 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNp2rqZnvUc

TLDR version: It's huge, heavy, and godawful fugly, but also cheap, decently accurate, and dead reliable.
Brad
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:22:38 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
Re: A new, ultra-reliable 10mm
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:31:35 AM »
If it's reliable, that puts it above the S&W M&P 2.0 in 10mm; despite a few glowing test reports in the gun rags (including IIRC The American Rifleman) an appreciable fraction of users are experiencing a variety of issues, from jamming to unexpected magazine ejection when firing . . . and S&W customer service has not garnered many accolades.

I was going to buy one myself . . . but I put that on indefinite hold pending resolution of the pistol's apparent teething problems.

More details at:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/682806-update-3-top-4-m-p-10mm-sill-not-happy.html
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/677383-my-10mm-saga.html
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 12:12:25 PM »
That is a straight blowback 10mm.  I mean yeah, it's 3 lbs, but still.  Glocks blow up with a locked breech, but the Yeet Cannon is just Full Send.   =D

On the other hand, perhaps HiPoint will bring us that blowback 5.56 carbine we didn't know we needed next.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 12:15:01 PM »
That looks like a monster of a pistol and judging by the video, it has some recoil.  However, if it works, it works.  The weight probably does help a lot.  I have shot the FK Brno PSD Field Pistol in 10mm and seems to have almost no recoil, but that is a pretty heavy gun. 

I have a S&W 10mm that works at least the last time I shot it.  I don't know if I would say the recoil is heavy, but there is a shock/snappiness to it that is not pleasant after a couple magazines.  I noticed the M&P 45 has the same snappiness to it on a smaller scale.  Which reminds me that I was thinking selling a couple guns to try to save up for a Dan Wesson DWX.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 12:16:34 PM »
Just heard the $225 MSRP.  For price, it might be worth it just to try it out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 12:18:44 PM »
I already have one 10mm I never shoot, so I don't need another, and as much as we laugh at it (and I am laughing), the next time a non-gunner asks you what gun to take car camping to protect you from bear or meth heads, there you go.

Cheaper than 1 visit to REI, with 50 rounds of ammo.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 12:21:12 PM »
Glocks blow up with a locked breech...

My photo, taken right after some hot S&B .357 Sig dynamically remolded a first gen G32 frame and mag.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 12:47:14 PM »
My photo, taken right after some hot S&B .357 Sig dynamically remolded a first gen G32 frame and mag.

<pic>

Brad
I've read that Glock quietly redesigned the back of the chamber in later-generation pistols to provide more support to the case head. This was on their .40s . . . presumably they did so on later-generation .357 SIGs as well, since I haven't read about GLOCK KABOOMS of late.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 01:10:55 PM »
If it's reliable, that puts it above the S&W M&P 2.0 in 10mm
I have the 4.6” S&W 2.0 10MM and have only had one FTF in over 400 rounds.  I’ve been working up loads with a 200 gr Nosler JHP using various powders without a hitch. 

Have also shot a 180 gr Longshot range load and an over max 800X load with 180 XTPs without fail.  I must of gotten one of the good ones.

The weight of the Hi-Point is a but much.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 01:13:27 PM »
I've read that Glock quietly redesigned the back of the chamber in later-generation pistols to provide more support to the case head. This was on their .40s . . . presumably they did so on later-generation .357 SIGs as well, since I haven't read about GLOCK KABOOMS of late.

I recently decided not to get an aftermarket KKM barrel for my G40 after looking at the chamber support on the factory Gen 4 barrel against my G20 KKM barrel.  If there’s a difference, it’s minuscule and unseen by my naked eye. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 02:25:56 PM »

There was also scuttlebutt that some ammo mfg were using the same case head dies for both .40 and .357 SIG. After the first round of KBs, they began using .357-specific cases which had thicker walls near the case head.

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 02:35:07 PM »
The Hipoints got their bad reputation because they're ugly, they're heavy, and they tended to get seriously abused by their "owners" over time. They'd get put under a rock, so that everyone in the street gang had access, etc...

And they'd still work - IF the mopes put the right ammo in... You'd see 9mm or .38 specials in .45s, .380, you name it.

I'm thinking of getting one per room for stash guns around my little urban house.

And their 9mm carbines RAWK.
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 02:54:43 PM »
Here's my updated Hi Point torture test/review report:

Hi-Point Torture test videos:

Check out this series of videos where these guys set out to destroy one to show what piles of junk they were and found out that it was almost indestructible!

I give you the Hi-Point JXP 10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNp2rqZnvUc
TLDR version: It's huge, heavy, and godawful fugly, but also cheap, decently accurate, and dead reliable.

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test RELOADED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

So what happened to that Hi Point?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg

Hi-Point Pistols The Ultimate Test Part 4: Judgement Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE

PLEASE watch all of them for a real eye opening experience that will astound you and while it probably won't make ya run out and buy one you WILL have to have a much better opinion of the guns if you are honest with yourself to ANY degree.

Here is another of a series I just ran across with a nice real world evaluation of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ch_IQg-io

And this one from Hickok45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNx0Ql2ZZw&ab_channel=hickok45

Even more:
How Tough is a Hi-Point? (CHEAPEST PISTOL) DemolitionRanch
https://youtu.be/wpZdUgBzh7Y

Mud Run!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqgdAZJvdYE&ab_channel=J.Dalton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azs2Kk4Hphk&ab_channel=StudentoftheGun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkq7WdB-0LA

The Hi-Point 1095 10mm Carbine Review and Mud Test: The Best Pistol Caliber Carbine (For the Moneey)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=083T0UmYmG0&ab_channel=TFBTV

PS: I have nothing to do with the videos or Hi-Point. I am just a guy who has sold (formal FFL), owned and shot several.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/8/21/hi-point-firearms-45-acp-pistol-carbine/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 03:43:29 PM »
There was also scuttlebutt that some ammo mfg were using the same case head dies for both .40 and .357 SIG. After the first round of KBs, they began using .357-specific cases which had thicker walls near the case head.

Brad
That could be an issue - I just took a quick look at the specs and SAAMI MAP for the .40 is 35,000 PSI, for the .357 SIG, it's 40,000 PSI.

I have the 4.6” S&W 2.0 10MM and have only had one FTF in over 400 rounds.  I’ve been working up loads with a 200 gr Nosler JHP using various powders without a hitch. 

Have also shot a 180 gr Longshot range load and an over max 800X load with 180 XTPs without fail.  I must of gotten one of the good ones.
I believe you - even from reading entries at the S&W forum, mostly they seem to work, but some appreciable fraction doesn't. Maybe it's the guns produced Monday morning or Friday afternoon that have issues?  ;)

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 03:46:47 PM »
My only experience with hi-points was the one I shot years ago.  It was unreliable.

I figure if you spend $200 on hi-point, that is $200 you can't spend on a gun that isn't a zinc hunk of junk.

Now, continue the hi-point love fest and I will shut up.   :-X

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 04:04:58 PM »

I remember someone had a series of photos showing changes Glock silently made over the years to their barrels increasing support while at the same time denying there was ever a problem despite people coming up with photo after photo of blown guns and blown out brass.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 05:08:31 PM »
My only experience with hi-points was the one I shot years ago.  It was unreliable.

I figure if you spend $200 on hi-point, that is $200 you can't spend on a gun that isn't a zinc hunk of junk.

Now, continue the hi-point love fest and I will shut up.   :-X
I have no experience with HiPoint, but that was always where I ended up.  I have other guns that work just fine and are lighter and more comfortable.  The Sig XTen pistol is a very nice one, but also bit more expensive. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 05:24:06 PM »
I remember someone had a series of photos showing changes Glock silently made over the years to their barrels increasing support while at the same time denying there was ever a problem despite people coming up with photo after photo of blown guns and blown out brass.
There are quite a few pix out there - here's one:

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 05:49:31 PM »
I love my 1006, can't recall a single ftf/fte in thousands of rounds.  But gotta admit, those 3rd generation SW autoloaders are a bit complicated and she's getting a little long in the tooth. I'd hate to crack something on a hot load. I've heard the factory stopped support and suspect a local 'smith wouldn't be able to help much either.

HiPoint isn't a lot heavier than my old lady but I'd hesitate taking her out in a well lit place
7-11 was a part time job.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 07:01:55 PM »
If you NEED a pretty reliable and accurate gun NOW and you have only $200, it's a deal!

Heck, if ya have the bucks, leave a loaded one under each mattress! Leave one in the toilet tank in a Ziploc bag! Put one in the pocket of that old jacket in the back of the closet! Bury one in the yard in some PEX/PVC! Throw one in the toolbox and tackle box!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2023, 09:48:53 PM »
Well, I have my weekly lottery ticket, and if it hits, right after buying a chain of strip club/microbreweries, I'm going to blow a million dollars on pallets of 9mm HiPoints, and pass 'em out for free to anyone from the St. Louis north side who can pass a NICS check - probably starting at churches and with school personnel...
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 10:03:34 PM »
Well, I have my weekly lottery ticket, and if it hits, right after buying a chain of strip club/microbreweries, I'm going to blow a million dollars on pallets of 9mm HiPoints, and pass 'em out for free to anyone from the St. Louis north side who can pass a NICS check - probably starting at churches and with school personnel...

BEST SUGGESTION YET!!!
MOLON LABE!